Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 03:09 PM

14,319 posts, read 11,714,153 times

Advertisements

People in places where it's very wet, rainy, muddy, snowy a lot of the time tend to take off their shoes for obvious reasons. People who live where it's generally dry don't think it is very important.

Plus, there is a big difference between a "Shoes Off in the House!" rule that applies to everyone, and just habitually not wearing shoes around the house because it's more comfortable not to.

The only people I know in Southern California (a dry climate, obviously) who are strict about no one wearing shoes in the house, ever, are Asian. Sounds like Australia is the same way. Canada, of course, has an entirely different climate which is not conducive to shoes in the house.

Personally, I take off my shoes when I go in my house, because I hate wearing shoes. But if you come in with your shoes on, I don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 03:15 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,435,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Really? Virtually everyone? But I used to think Canada is very Americanized!

Summerwhale, aka Owen, aka Mac15 went on a rant a while back on this topic. He was offended he was asked to take his shoes off in Canada. He likes to take his tiny experiences in Winnipeg, of all places, and say the whole of Canada does it exactly the same. So you can generally take his answers and chuck them in the trash.

As a Canadian, I can say it simply depends on who's house you're in. Simple as that.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:29 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,623,185 times
I don't even take off my shoes when i'm at home, unless I'm feeling disconfort, and I was never asked to take them off, in the hundreds of houses I've visited.

Definitely not Portugal.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:03 PM

14,319 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Summerwhale, aka Owen, aka Mac15 went on a rant a while back on this topic. He was offended he was asked to take his shoes off in Canada. He likes to take his tiny experiences in Winnipeg, of all places, and say the whole of Canada does it exactly the same. So you can generally take his answers and chuck them in the trash.

As a Canadian, I can say it simply depends on who's house you're in. Simple as that.
I'm sure that's true, but my (admittedly small) circle of Canadian friends all agree that at home in Canada, people are expected to take their shoes off.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:51 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm sure that's true, but my (admittedly small) circle of Canadian friends all agree that at home in Canada, people are expected to take their shoes off.
Yeah, more or less this. There's couple of families that don't do it, but I always cringe when I see it happen (omg now they'll have to mop!!).

Old 10-25-2014, 09:52 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,672,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post

Of all the Canadian homes I have been in, almost all of them required shoes to be off as soon as you step in the door. The few homes where we were allowed shoes on were all filthy inside, and not the nicest.

I am sure in most climates where they get snow it is a requirement of most home owners to take shoes off.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:36 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,291 times
I'm in the Central US, I've known a few families who remove shoes upon entering a house. I do as well, but none of my family do. It's not part of American culture to remove shoes, but it's not completely uncommon, even outside the Asian influence sphere.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:20 AM

13 posts, read 32,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Most houses I've ever been in in the UK had shoes off policies but I know not all do.
This is my experience of the UK as well. We don't know anyone who doesn't expect their guests to remove their shoes.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:55 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,306,523 times
I do not remove mine, and I do not expect visitors to remove theirs either.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:40 PM

13 posts, read 32,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I do not remove mine, and I do not expect visitors to remove theirs either.
Each to their own. Wearing shoes in the hoose is incredibly weird
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World