Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Alaska Range 22 42.31%
European Alps 30 57.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 03:25 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Mt. St. Elias is a rather forgotten mountain, I think it's less accessible than Mt. Denali. Rises directly out of the sea, the highest coastal mountain in the world. Its vertical rise is at least as tall as Mt. Denali. It looks huge from the photos. Impressive, even if you can get near it, it's probably covered by clouds most of the time. From the same link, the spire measure list ranks Mt. St. Elias as more impressive as Mt. Denali:

US and Non-arctic Canada Top 25 by Reduced ORS

the best of the Alps would make #9 or #10 on the North American list.

Alps Top 10 By Reduced ORS
No, Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta in Columbia is. Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mt. St. Elias is the steeper and more imposing mountain though. I'll give you that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 08:20 AM

2,948 posts, read 2,918,126 times
Quote:
Not Mt. McKinley levels but Mt. Blanc is rather imposing:

from its wikipedia page

https://www.google.com/search?q=mt+b...w=1366&bih=597

here's a good overview of the Alaska range, with Mt. McKinley (or Denali) with another peak:

File:Mt McKinley wide view from Kashwitna Lake.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Imposing is a matter of size view. You can see Mckinley from a plain of 500-600 meters almost ENTIRELY, without another peaks hiding partially the mountain. See this photo of the north side semi plain:

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/6873048.jpg

Or this:

http://www.nps.gov/common/uploads/ph...DC4D3E3B8A.jpg

Or this!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wiPwzENcCy...2BIMG_1007.JPG

Mt.Blanc isn't close. The only at the same level of massive panoramic view is, as i said, the Rakaposhi.

Last edited by Rozenn; 02-08-2014 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 02-08-2014, 04:46 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
The Alps are very beautiful, with lots of beautiful European towns and ski resorts.

As much as I think Alaska is beautiful, it's very remote.
And being unspoiled by "civilization" is a very large plus in Alaska's/Canada's favor.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:57 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,387,280 times
Mt. McKinley is just a huge piece of stone, badly shaped and not impressive otherwise but for its height. It doesn't stand our of the range. The range is barely accessible. AK Range mountains are severely damaged by earthquakes so there are many slopes that consist not of the whole stone, but of crushed pieces covering the slopes.
Alps have many prominent peaks, like Matterhorn, Jungfrau, Weisshorn, etc., and valleys between mountain are green, welcoming, warm, and covered with flowers. Access is easy. Trains run through the mountains, and you can watch this constantly changing landscape which gives home to thousands of people. Alaska Range is beautiful, especially if you drive from Valdez to Fairbanks, but it's a far-away thing and there is nothing to go there for except for alpinism. In short, Alps are full of life, while Alaska Range is a kingdom of death and vast emptiness.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
someone doesn't like Alaska...

The Alaska Range sounds beautiful, my main complaint is that it sounds like just one massive (and several somewhat smaller) mountains rising above a plain rather than a sea of large, jagged peaks like the Alps. The Alps sounds a bit too developed, but the Alaska Range is the other extreme, I'd have to visit both.

Is it possible to hike a bit in the Alps and feel like you're out of human civilization completely (just see natural landscapes and few people)? Are there spots uncultivated and off the beaten path?

Old 02-09-2014, 11:20 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Quote:
Is it possible to hike a bit in the Alps and feel like you're out of human civilization completely (just see natural landscapes and few people)? Are there spots uncultivated and off the beaten path?
Being an avid hiker, I'd even say that that's the norm rather than the exception.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:01 AM

2,948 posts, read 2,918,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Mt. McKinley is just a huge piece of stone, badly shaped and not impressive otherwise but for its height. It doesn't stand our of the range. The range is barely accessible. AK Range mountains are severely damaged by earthquakes so there are many slopes that consist not of the whole stone, but of crushed pieces covering the slopes.
Alps have many prominent peaks, like Matterhorn, Jungfrau, Weisshorn, etc., and valleys between mountain are green, welcoming, warm, and covered with flowers. Access is easy. Trains run through the mountains, and you can watch this constantly changing landscape which gives home to thousands of people. Alaska Range is beautiful, especially if you drive from Valdez to Fairbanks, but it's a far-away thing and there is nothing to go there for except for alpinism. In short, Alps are full of life, while Alaska Range is a kingdom of death and vast emptiness.
You can dislike Alaska range, it's your legit opinion. But you can't deny that the Mt.kingley is a more prominent peak than anything in the whole Alps. It's a fact.
And i think rawness and virginity of a landscape is a key factor to appreciate it more

Old 02-11-2014, 12:51 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,387,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
You can dislike Alaska range, it's your legit opinion. But you can't deny that the Mt.kingley is a more prominent peak than anything in the whole Alps. It's a fact.
And i think rawness and virginity of a landscape is a key factor to appreciate it more
We both are entitled to have opinions I don't like the shape of MtMckinley; besides, it's such a fetish in Alaska, and it's so annoying, that I periodically wish it disappears.
I'm of human race, I like people, their life and their work, so I prefer places where I can see it. I don't care much about vast empty places.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:33 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Prominence is easy to measure, but I'm not sure if it's the best way to assess the "impressiveness" of a mountain. Never been to Alaska, but in the Alps, the most prominent mountain, Mt Blanc, didn't feel all that impressive in person. It might stand 4 km above the valley, I didn't get that "wow" factor, even though the valley feels rather claustrophobic. Found this place or that one more impressive.

Though the slope is steeper on the Italian side:
https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=chamon...21.09,,0,-5.91
https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=chamon...3.89,,0,-12.92

Some mountains are so big that it's difficult to fathom their size. I suspect Denali is one of those.

As a lot of posters, I find the Alps overdeveloped. It's even part of the Blue Banana the so-called "European Megalopolis". Might be a stretch, but it's definitely lacking in the wilderness aspect.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:50 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,944 times
European alps since it is closer to towns and beautiful castles or mansions make it a perfect setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World