Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 09:33 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Irish and Black Americans are very similar culturally. But this could be because I think much of the black American culture was influenced by Ireland. Or both were historically oppressed by British people
Lol, quite a claim. I'm going to run this by my Irish relatives on my mother's side of the family and see what the consensus is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 10:58 PM

96 posts, read 58,326 times
I remember this issue being discussed in my old human resources department years ago. Strangely, personnel seconded to European or even Asian countries appeared to cope with the cultural differences better than those seconded to England or Australia. Where large cultural and language differences are expected, people are more prepared to accept those differences. In the case of England and Australia, the magnitude of the differences was greater than expected by those who were seconded. I am aware of some significant "failures" and the company started some training programs for those moving there.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:27 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Lol, quite a claim. I'm going to run this by my Irish relatives on my mother's side of the family and see what the consensus is.
I'm assuming he's talking about turn of the turn of the century. In which case, yeah he's kind of right.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:08 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
One could say the same about the US, Australia, Canada.etc which have people from all over the world sharing a similar culture (depending on how integrated they are). The US is the best example of this I would say.

In Central Asia many Turkic people look more East Asian but their culture seems more aligned with the Middle East.
The Central Asian Turkic people in fact have a common bloodline with Mongols, hence their Asian appearance, but they get their Middle Eastern influence from having been Islamized.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:37 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
People walk differently according to what they have worn on their feet all their lives, whither flip-flops or Nikes or barefoot, which might even be influenced by a cultore's school uniforms or dress codes. A person who is used to different shoes will stand out in a crowd, but an observer will not be able to pinpoint it.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:50 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not in Kansas any more View Post
I remember this issue being discussed in my old human resources department years ago. Strangely, personnel seconded to European or even Asian countries appeared to cope with the cultural differences better than those seconded to England or Australia. Where large cultural and language differences are expected, people are more prepared to accept those differences. In the case of England and Australia, the magnitude of the differences was greater than expected by those who were seconded. I am aware of some significant "failures" and the company started some training programs for those moving there.
Probably the hyper-visibility of Anglo culture makes it feel familiar to many places across the world so people expect to adapt more or less easily, i.e. way less preparation or thought is made and people are far less fearful than say moving to another less visible culture.

The reality tends to be different and adapting becomes more of a struggle than expected as you say.

Old 09-11-2021, 01:10 AM

36 posts, read 19,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Colonial British was different than Colonial France or Colonial Spain. British people goal was to make people in their colonies take on their culture. France is different and so is Spain. Which is why African influence survives more amongst blacks in those colonies. In wither case, I'm 200% sure any African culture a black America would have been forced out of them by the 1800s. Blacks were forced to learn English in America and convert to Christanity. West Africa was not a heavily Christan areas during the times if slavery. Many black Americans are unaware of the indigenous religions of Africa of the time. So very little African culture has survived. Black Americans are far more European than African.
This was kind of was addressed in another thread. African American culture is predominately a mix of very Americanized West/Central African culture and Scotch-Irish/White Southerner culture. This gave rise to Jazz, Rock N Roll Hip Hop, R and B, and just about any other distinctly American genre including Country music on some level. You can try as hard as you can but you can't completely destroy a people's culture.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:43 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Chechens and Albanians are white and look like Europeans but culturally they are more Middle Eastern and Central Asian than anything. I'd say that Chechen culture is much more like the Afghan, Iraqi, Palestinian and Syrian cultures than the French, German, or Italian culture or even the eastern European cultures like Polish or Bulgarian. Their gender roles and their idea of warfare/suicide bombings is also decidedly Middle Eastern.

In fact Chechens are more into jihadism and sharia than Lebanon's Maronite Christians or the more secular Turkish people or the people in Dubai.

Massive differences between the black people of Bermuda which follow a very genteel British culture and the black people in places like Somalia, Congo, and Kenya.
Albanian is a secular country, and much more similar to surrounding countries than the Middle East which is highly religious. Chechen is highly religious but it is a part of Russia and Russia is not.

Actually you will find Arsenal fans in Somalia, Congo and Kenya, just as you will find in Bermuda.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:43 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,823 times
Canada fits the bill for a country that has extremely diverse race and ethnicity, but very similar culture - at least among second generation Canadians, and sometimes among first-gens. I don’t know if this is what the OP is looking for, but it’s the reality. America is much the same.

To clarify, Canadian culture at ground level is no longer Anglo culture. Quebec is different because their francophone heritage means everything to them. In the urban areas of Anglo Canada, immigrant culture has become part of Canadian culture as much as Canadian culture has become the culture of immigrants. This is my opinion, of course, and my work has given me a unique opportunity to see how this happens in real time.

Old 09-16-2021, 08:41 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

Massive differences between the black people of Bermuda which follow a very genteel British culture and the black people in places like Somalia, Congo, and Kenya.
Bermuda and Kenya were British, however the Congo had far more influence from Belgium and other nations, as did Somalia, which had Italian and French. British Somaliland was just a small protectorate.

In terms of Africa there was a lot more influence from other countries rather than just Britain, and the French and others often left their mark.

British Somaliland - Wikipedia

Kenya is more Anglophile, and has good relations with Britain, as well as hosting a large British military training area.

The same is true of South Africa, which has a lot of Dutch influence dating back to the early Dutch settlers and the white Afrikaners are a South African ethnic group descended from predominantly Dutch settlers.

Afrikaans, South Africa's third most widely spoken home language, evolved as the mother tongue of Afrikaners and most Cape Coloureds. It originated from the Dutch vernacular of South Holland, incorporating words brought from the Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia) and Madagascar.

During the Dutch and British colonial years, racial segregation was mostly informal, and it wasn't until South Africa became fully independent in 1948, that racial apartheid came in to force.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-16-2021 at 09:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World