Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 02:32 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Hawai'ians are also far away. Does that mean they can't call themselves American?
Hawaiians are not on the otherside of the world i.e 8,000 miles away and actually speak English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 03:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Hawaiians are not on the otherside of the world i.e 8,000 miles away and actually speak English.
Everyday language of many locals is Hawaiin Pidgin. Similar to English but would be very hard to understand:

Hawaiian Pidgin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-08-2014, 03:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Puerto Ricans are definitely of a Latin American culture. Here on the west coast they are always misidentified as Mexicans, much to their dismay.
That's kinda funny, as until maybe a decade or two ago, all Hispanics were assumed to be Puerto Rican in the Northeast.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
We classify a person as British if they are born inside the United Kingdom on the day of their birth.Its not about your heritage.

Thats why I can't fathom why someone from Puerto Rico who was not born in America is American.

I don't think anyone did, I said Puerto Ricans (or from any other country) who's lived here for many decades would be considered American. Someone could have moved here when he was 6, and be indistinguishable or nearly so from native-born Americans (I've met some).

Also, the reason I keep disagreeing (in that other thread) with you so strongly is you were arguing over who would be considered American when you're not American. If you were American, I would have disagreed but respected your opinion as your view.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:31 PM

It doesn't really matter if I am American. It is the same worldwide.
I classify nationality by birthplace.

My uncle has been living in Canada for 40 years but he is always certainly NOT Canadian!!

Old 04-08-2014, 05:52 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:

My uncle has been living in Canada for 40 years but he is always certainly NOT Canadian!!
Australia's current PM was born in Britain but lived.most of his life and almost all his youth in Australia. He has an Australian accent, native born Australians consider him Australia. By the way, Puerto Rico is closer to the mainland than Hawaii is. There are native Hawaiians that don't speak English as their primary language. Are they American?

Old 04-08-2014, 10:36 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's kinda funny, as until maybe a decade or two ago, all Hispanics were assumed to be Puerto Rican in the Northeast.
Oh I know. My Mexican friends go back east and they tell me that everyone calls them Puerto Rican.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:39 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:

What nei is trying to tell you is, it doesn't work that way IN THIS country.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:25 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Australia's current PM was born in Britain but lived.most of his life and almost all his youth in Australia. He has an Australian accent, native born Australians consider him Australia. By the way, Puerto Rico is closer to the mainland than Hawaii is. There are native Hawaiians that don't speak English as their primary language. Are they American?
Yep, being "Australian" is really about having a certain mindset and a sense of loyalty to Australia. In addition to Tony Abbott (we occasionally label him a pom if he's done something too "out there" for Australian sensitivities ) the current employment minister is German born, and the finance minister is Belgian by birth. One of our early prime ministers was born in Chile of German background, and one influential politician of the late 1800s and early 1900s was born in the US, but at times claimed to be Canadian .

I guess we're a pretty accepting place.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:31 AM

I will only consider them American if they move at like 5, any older and they are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World