Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs SF
London 96 70.59%
San Francisco 40 29.41%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 08:00 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,548,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
London. You may compare SF to a district in London - like Brixton. Otherwise there's no comparison really. All the defensive insecure "yawns" and "LOLs" won't change that. But if it makes you feel better then carry on...
Darling I realize that it's shocking for you people to see some from another city to resoundingly look down on London and New York, totally thumb their noses at whatever delusions of grandeur you wish to project on us, but really, London and New York, while wonderful in some ways, don't impress us out west that much.

Nice to visit, but to live? No thanks. Why settle for NY or London when I can live in the Bay?

Southern California is also more desirable to me. Los Angeles rivals NY and London as far as every cultural amenity, and then you get that climate. If anything, LA really is the place to beat these days when it comes to megacities.

Otherwise, SF takes it to a level NY and London can never attain.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:33 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,299,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Darling I realize that it's shocking for you people to see some from another city to resoundingly look down on London and New York, totally thumb their noses at whatever delusions of grandeur you wish to project on us, but really, London and New York, while wonderful in some ways, don't impress us out west that much.

Nice to visit, but to live? No thanks. Why settle for NY or London when I can live in the Bay?

Southern California is also more desirable to me. Los Angeles rivals NY and London as far as every cultural amenity, and then you get that climate. If anything, LA really is the place to beat these days when it comes to megacities.

What is desirable to you is irrelevant. You may find Oakland more desirable than London. Or Fresno. Or Stockton. Who cares? That doesn't change the fact that San Francisco (as cute and charming as it is) is a small, provincial town compared to London. There isn't a single category of urban quality (other than food perhaps -- although London's culinary scene has improved greatly in the last decade and it has more Michelin stars than the entire Bay Area) in which London is not vastly superior to SF.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:40 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,854 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
There is nothing unique about London. It's a poor man's New York City.

Unsure if being facetious or not.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
This is a difficult one. They are SO different. I've been to both numerous times so I have an idea of what both are like. Being Canadian I"m comfortable in California and I'm comfortable in the U.K.
London. Whew…now I'm having second thoughts LOL. No London it is. It's the history, museums, proximity to Europe that pushed me in that direction. However I still get to visit S.F. and the Sonoma and Napa Valleys.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:24 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Really? can we please lock this thread up?
Why lock it?

London's coming off a few global events in the Royal Wedding and Summer Olympics, it's retrofitted it's fashion and finance industries.

The burden's on San Francisco to try to put some substance behind it's big words.

Let the thread stay.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:29 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,985,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Wow. I nominate this as the stupidest post of this stupid thread. Congratulations!
And that was the reason for this post. A stupid thread deserves a post to match it. If anybody should be getting flamed it should be the OP. Does he think we are going to fall on our knees and praise his city while slamming ours in the process? I've seen posts on this thread saying some blind attacks with no substance towards San Francisco. But that's OK huh?

London is a fine city but it's not the end all be all for some traveler or post ***** on this board looking for the ultimate urban orgasm (roles eyes)

Old 05-13-2014, 09:31 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Why lock it?

London's coming off a few global events in the Royal Wedding and Summer Olympics, it's retrofitted it's fashion and finance industries.

The burden's on San Francisco to try to put some substance behind it's big words.

Let the thread stay.
There is no burden hun. The OP is not asking whose hosted big events-lol

San Francisco is wealthier, better educated and generally more sophisticated than London so this strange notion that having large events is supposed to mean something is laughable.

London is larger than SF but to say therefore its actually 'better', is once again laughable.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:48 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Quote:
There is no burden hun. The OP is not asking whose hosted big events-lol

San Francisco is wealthier, better educated and generally more sophisticated than London so this strange notion that having large events is supposed to mean something is laughable.

London is larger than SF but to say therefore its actually 'better', is once again laughable.
I don't really care for what the OP is asking, if he wants to move from San Francisco to London, then it shouldn't be in the World forum in the first place. That's irrelevant.

Why not just compare both cities on verifiable metrics? You know, day-to-day things that actually affect people? You know, like culture, history, innovation throughout history, literature, influence over the world linguistically? Fashion?

San Francisco's stock is on the rise for sure but is there depth?

Old 05-13-2014, 09:49 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Maybe overrated wasn't the right word to use. I just don't think that it's my taste and many other cities offer what London does, despite London being so high up on the global stage. Just my opinion.
You should visit London. It has a completely different level of class and sophistication compared to most American cities. Will almost surely change your mind.

Pretty much any URBAN aspect of London blows away San Francisco. Pictures of the city can't do it justice.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:15 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Why lock it?

Let the thread stay.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek. But I won't rule out that part of it was my inner anglophile coming out. I like both cities but London to me seems in a different tier, by far. The history alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World