Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:34 AM

83 posts, read 397,771 times

Advertisements

I work as a teacher in Europe, and here we also have that "discipline problem", but I'd say we shouldn't solve it the asian way. In my opinion is not there to make children know everything but to from them to freely thinking individuals which can keep democracy alive and make the right decisions in life. Knowledge is a big part of that, but unreflected learning by heart because you are afraid the teacher or your parents might hit you is not the key. I once read that Japan and Korea have the highest rate of teenage suicides in the world, I mean what kind of a system is that, that makes children give up their lifes for some stupid grades?

I also hate the attitude that you leanr for your uture job life. I teach history and so many students sk me "What will I ever need to know that for?" They think history can't be turned into money so it's worthless.

I also think a lot of thois is the parents fault, they shouldn't want more discipline fromtheir children, they should just spend more time with them. Teachers can only do whatever is possible in 2 lessons a week. And of course that is nearly impossible for teachers if the parents sit at home in front of the TV all day, but then complain when their child writes a D on a test and tell the teacher that he doesn't have his class under control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 02:22 PM

55 posts, read 252,700 times
I can only speek for france..I just finished my last high school year (lycée) and I'm now at university and there weren't that much a "discipline problem".I never saw a student agress or insult a teacher,I've already seen a student sleeping during a class (which isn't respectfull) but I never saw violence.I was in a good school but I have to say that recently I saw on TV that a teacher has been sent to hospital by a student aged only 14,then a month later same thing happened in another region..so I think that europe too has "discipline problems" maybe less than in the US but it's coming..and really fast..

Old 12-28-2007, 04:00 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,447,646 times
Default Title of article?

Unite, can you provide me with a link to actual article at edweek.org? or the title of the article? I am having trouble finding an article discussing what you brought up -- ie. the teacher being fired for being too motherly?

Thanks much.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:36 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
has it ever occured to parents in the US that THEY are in charge of their child?

My wife and I ended up with custody of her G'son when he was in the 6th grade.
He had GOOD SOLID D's and F's [best grade was a C in PE]
He love'd football and basketball.
I sat him down at the kitchen table and, after REQUIRING that he make eye contact when we talked, I explained to him that #1 I hate sports #2 if he plays sports I have to go to the games. #3 I refuse to watch an IDIOT play sports....THEREFORE....IF he wanted to play any kind of sports or to have any kind of social life he was REQUIRED to maintain grades that NEVER fall below a "B"....not average....NO GRADE BELOW A "B". If he fell below a "B" in ANY class, he was out of sports. If he got tossed out of class for ANY reason, he was out of sports. If I got "SUMMONED" to school for any reason he was out of sports.

in the 6th grade he maintained the "No grade below a "B" policy. in the 7th and 8th grades he was inducted into Junior National Honor Society and maintained an A/B average. In his freshman year of highschool, he took [nearly] all Honors Classes and maintained the No Grade Below a B. He also played on the Varsity Basketball, Football and Wrestling teams in his Freshman year. In his Sophmore year he opted out of sports because he "wanted to concentrate on his grades" with the possibility of attending the Air Force Academy.

Kids will accomplish what is REQUIRED of them....if you require it strongly enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World