Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 08:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
no, all I got was a passport stamp the last time I was there and no questions by a bored border guard.
Last time I went to Europe it took me several hours of standing in line in customs to get through. Lots of questions by a border guard who had absolutely no charm to his personality.

But if people want to boycott visiting the US due to a simple form and a $14 fee, I guess that's their choice. No great harm done either way.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:20 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,876,278 times
@ KathrynAragon : again, I had no problems with border guards, customs and TSA, all perfectly courteous (if somewhat bored looking for some of them), but the proceedings each time were so long that I had to have my flights bumped (remember I was on layovers). I fear the US is slowly falling in the same bureaucratic quagmire as the former Soviet Union.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
@ KathrynAragon : again, I had no problems with border guards, customs and TSA, all perfectly courteous (if somewhat bored looking for some of them), but the proceedings each time were so long that I had to have my flights bumped (remember I was on layovers). I fear the US is slowly falling in the same bureaucratic quagmire as the former Soviet Union.
I know the feeling - every time I travel to Europe or the UK getting through their customs takes FOREVER. It's absolutely the worst part of the trip.

This process isn't inconvenient or tiresome just on the US side - it's an unpleasant part of international travel pretty much across the board.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:28 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,876,278 times
I agree that getting back to CDG in Paris wasn't a piece of cake either. And contrary to what happen in the US, where US citizens have a distinct line and can move faster, us French citizens have no privilege in our own country : we are herded together in the line "citizens of the EU"!

Old 10-20-2014, 08:35 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,346,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I know the feeling - every time I travel to Europe or the UK getting through their customs takes FOREVER. It's absolutely the worst part of the trip.

This process isn't inconvenient or tiresome just on the US side - it's an unpleasant part of international travel pretty much across the board.
This ESTA thing gets annoying when you are stuck in Stockholm and aren't allowed to board a plane to the US, because they say you haven't submitted your ELSA form sheet. Which you have, but a couple of months ago with a trip to the US in between. Which is totally fine in theory, but obviously not in practice.

Anyhow, got a free upgrade to business because I was 20 minutes late... The TSA officer in Newark was quite nice. At least when talking to us Austrians/Swedes. Most of the Georgians that arrived at the same time were invited to some special interviews.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:06 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,282,673 times
Surely this is no reason to hate America? 9 11 changed the world and ISIS today continues it. The US could give out plenty more visa's then it does. But still they apply in the world and wait?
I see bus loads of Chinese tourist who might have waited months or more to visit? I'm in small town America they merely pass through and stop at a Chinese Restaurant. Also see plenty of Canadian cars heading south on a nearby interstate highway and another state roadway they made a major thoroughfare from Canada to places south. I always look at license plates. Yes and where I am going too. LOL

Old 10-20-2014, 09:20 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
True though ESTA does sound obnoxious, I'd be annoyed to.
Beats applying for a tourist visa which is what you had to do prior to ESTA. Application, pictures, send your passport off, fees, ...

Old 10-20-2014, 10:05 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Why does everyone hate America so much? I'd just like an honest opinion about this, especially from Europeans and Asians. Its like everyone is against America and has a bone to pick against it. Is it because USA is the only superpower left? Is it because USA is the watchdog of the world and interferes with other countries? Is it because its perceived as colonizing and taking over oil reserves half a world away? Is it because of economic disparity or racism, in light of recent events going on?
I think its because we slept with their wife.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:26 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
As an American, I agree with that.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:29 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Surely this is no reason to hate America? 9 11 changed the world and ISIS today continues it. The US could give out plenty more visa's then it does. But still they apply in the world and wait?
I see bus loads of Chinese tourist who might have waited months or more to visit? I'm in small town America they merely pass through and stop at a Chinese Restaurant. Also see plenty of Canadian cars heading south on a nearby interstate highway and another state roadway they made a major thoroughfare from Canada to places south. I always look at license plates. Yes and where I am going too. LOL
Where I am, almost half the license plates say Baja California LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World