Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toughest word?
Carribean 2 6.67%
Morroco 1 3.33%
your/you're 2 6.67%
Columbia 0 0%
Eyjafjallajökull 18 60.00%
Other, please specify 7 23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 06:10 AM

8,867 posts, read 8,450,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
How about immigrate / emigrate? That seems to be quite hard too.
Lend and borrow lol.

But that's grammar, not spelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 06:42 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,770 times
Quote:
I use to think that on the contrary, it's easier. As Italian and Finnish is read how it's written, we focus more on correct spelling. Or at least that's my gut feeling.

I never found those difficult, it might be because they do exist in Italiano as well (immigrare/emigrare) with the same different meaning.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
There are millions of names that have no "correct" spelling in the 26-letter Roman alphabet, because their only correct form is in another alphabet, from which there is no perfect letter-to-letter matchup.. For a while, Fox News used to use "Usama" bin Laden, but then changed it back again, because Arabic vowels are inexact to the English-speaker's ear and the sound of them corresponds to the adjacent consonant. For decades, Yugoslavia was spelled with a J, as they do in their language, and then English-speakers changed it to a Y. Croatians spell their name Hrvatska, and pronounce it almost the same as Croatia.

Greek has no sounds of D or B, and Delta is pronounced TH and Beta is pronounced V. If they borrow a foreign name like Baden, they spell it with Greek alphabet equivalents of Mpanten. If they spelled it Baden, it would be pronounced Vathen by Greeks.

The Roman-alphabet media, in each language, has arbitrarily assigned Roman spellings to foreign names, which sometimes get changed, but are "correct" only in terms of media style guides.

By the way, in respect to immigrate/emigrate, both words are correct, according to the direction of movement. Immigrate means to move in, and emigrate means move out. Every such person is both at the same time. A Mexican who moves to the USA ia an Immgrant with respect to the USA, and an Emigrant with respect to Mexico. He is a Mexican Immigrant, in that he is an immigrant who has Mexican nationality, but he is also a Mexican Emigrant, in that he is a person who emigrated from Mexico. Which word you use depends on the reference point you want your listener to attribute to your own meaning.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-05-2015 at 06:53 AM..

Old 04-05-2015, 07:28 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,433,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I think most can blame mis-spells on Auto-correct built in to their computers nowadays....I know I have had to edit more posts than ever since I got my new laptop..Drives me crazy.

In Canada fo r example many words such as color/colour indicate my color as INCORRECT...But up here we don't spell it with the "U" But knowing that makes me smile..so try to remember to include the "U's" as I post with mostly American's..Us Canadian's are non-plussed by such things

I'm sure those who post from outside of North America..and English is NOT first language can get confused...Personally, I'm impressed how well everybody handles it!!

Lyndarn, we spell colour with a "u" in Canada. lol

Same for neighbourhood, humour, favourite, and a bunch of other stuff.

So yeah, I agree with you.....auto-correct it screwing with people. lol!

Old 04-05-2015, 08:01 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,939 times
Quote:
I use to think that on the contrary, it's easier. As Italian and Finnish is read how it's written, we focus more on correct spelling. Or at least that's my gut feeling.

As xander already said, we don't have problems with immigrate / emigrate because those words are extremely similar to the Italian immigrare/emigrare. This similarities between English and Italian (for the Latin derived words) could be useful in a lot of cases, but can also give some trouble when the spelling are really similar but not exactly the same (for example "relevant" vs "rilevante", or "particular" vs "particolare").

About the first part, sincerely I started to notice that spelling and pronunciation could be a problem just when I started to study foreign languages, and in particular English. In fact, so that our spelling rules are really regular and every letter/syllable corresponds to a sound, I tend to don't focus so much on the spelling when I write in Italian (there are some little exceptions that require some more attention, i.e. "ce" vs "c'é", but really few if compared to English).

But I can't do the same with English, because in English words with the same pronunciation could have a different spelling, and words with the same spelling could have a different pronunciation!
The main problem that I have with English in practice is that I can't predict the spelling of a word when I hear it, nor I can predict the pronunciation of a word when I read it for the first time. In practice I have to remember the pronunciation and the letter by letter spelling of every new English word I learn.

Last edited by Urania93; 04-05-2015 at 08:34 AM..

Old 04-05-2015, 08:32 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,528,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Lyndarn, we spell colour with a "u" in Canada. lol

Same for neighbourhood, humour, favourite, and a bunch of other stuff.

So yeah, I agree with you.....auto-correct it screwing with people. lol!
Is the Canadian English more like USA or UK?
Listening to people from Canada it appears to sound more like USA.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:36 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
council, counsel, consul ....I never get them right the first time.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:10 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,602 times
Ridiculous is a word i always have difficulty with, but there are others too.

In English i always find it difficult to spell words correctly as i'm used to speak Italian where almost everything is read as it's written, when i speak i am never able to do it as i should. Something i find easy when it comes to English is grammar especially when compared to Italian.

Anyway the hardest word to spell is probably the name of this Welsh town (http://http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ysiliogogogoch). The name of this hill in New Zealand maybe is even harder (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...enuakitanatahu), it must be a nightmare to spell it correctly

Old 04-05-2015, 09:24 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
I saw the word "pollinate" in a book the other day, and I thought it was misspelled. I looked it up, and sure enough, the process of distributing poll e n is to poll i nate. For reasons that are completely mystifying to me.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:34 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Not true at all, I have spelled that word wrong since 3rd grade, for some reason I just cannot get it right and I am not illiterate nor am I poorly educated. I just cannot seem to spell that word properly.
Uh huh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World