Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:32 PM

52 posts, read 129,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
I think most people would consider it quite sweet if a little eccentric.

Now you see I've been calling them rubbers since I was little and I'm only just past 30 so I don't know if I count as the older generation or not! Only very occasionally do I feel the need to specify "eraser" but this was normally when I was around adolescent boys who would splutter and giggle hysterically. I think generally condoms are condoms. To me "rubber" for that is an 80s phrase, but that might just be me. And if people say "sheath" they'll be laughed out of the building.
The other day someone said rubber and I thought he was referring to a condom.

But we also call condoms. Jimmy hats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 01:56 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoMc View Post
The other day someone said rubber and I thought he was referring to a condom.

But we also call condoms. Jimmy hats.
Condoms get called 'johnnies' in the UK, in the north at least.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:49 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
The different meanings of words from different countrys reminds me of a little humor. A farmers wife goes into a large city on Saturday to do some shopping. She enters a large department store and notices a man who appeared to be a MGR. She says " hey mister where is your toilet?, Madam he say, you mean RESTROOM. NO she says, I'm not tired, I want a TOILET". So much for usages!! Stefhen

Old 01-28-2008, 02:25 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
I few weeks ago, several of the Brits on this forum suggested that I subscribe to "Private Eye" as a way to become current with English slang and social commentary (I am an American).

Well, I received my first issue last week, and I would guess that I was able to comprehend about -- oh, I don't know -- perhaps sixty percent? Many of the topics are out of my ken, especially the political ones (e.g., why does everyone hate Peter Hain so much? Who, for that matter, is Peter Hain?)

At any rate, I have three vocab queries for my Brit friends:

What are "squaddies"?

What are "oiks?"

What is a "c*ck-up"?

Thanks in advance. Awfully.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:32 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I few weeks ago, several of the Brits on this forum suggested that I subscribe to "Private Eye" as a way to become current with English slang and social commentary (I am an American).

Well, I received my first issue last week, and I would guess that I was able to comprehend about -- oh, I don't know -- perhaps sixty percent? Many of the topics are out of my ken, especially the political ones (e.g., why does everyone hate Peter Hain so much? Who, for that matter, is Peter Hain?)

At any rate, I have three vocab queries for my Brit friends:

What are "squaddies"?

What are "oiks?"

What is a "c*ck-up"?

Thanks in advance. Awfully.
Squaddies are soldiers

Oiks are uneducated, country/low-class types! (A word used by upper-class twits)

A c*ck-up is something that's been messed up, disorganised, mistakes made etc.

Peter Hain; just resigned from the Government for accepting party donations without following the rules. There's been a lot of kerfuffle in the Labour party about such c*ck-ups. Run by a bunch of oiks.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Squaddies are soldiers

Oiks are uneducated, country/low-class types! (A word used by upper-class twits)

A c*ck-up is something that's been messed up, disorganised, mistakes made etc.

Peter Hain; just resigned from the Government for accepting party donations without following the rules. There's been a lot of kerfuffle in the Labour party about such c*ck-ups. Run by a bunch of oiks.
Got it. Thanks, southdown! (I think "oiks" might be a rough equivalent of the Americanism "hicks.")

Old 01-29-2008, 02:01 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Got it. Thanks, southdown! (I think "oiks" might be a rough equivalent of the Americanism "hicks.")
It's not a word I'd recommend using in normal society! It's usually used in an ironic or teasing sense. I don't know how hicks gets used - maybe it's similar? Of course it might be used genuinely in the upper echelons of society - who knows? I wouldn't put it past Ian Hislop - he is pretty posh

If I ever say it jokingly I go the whole hog and steal a bit of line out of the comedy blackadder - "proles and oiks" (proles being short for proletariat) - again - don't ever use either of these words in any kind of serious manner (unless you're talking to prince Philip or Ian Hislop).

Old 01-29-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
It's not a word I'd recommend using in normal society! It's usually used in an ironic or teasing sense. I don't know how hicks gets used - maybe it's similar? Of course it might be used genuinely in the upper echelons of society - who knows? I wouldn't put it past Ian Hislop - he is pretty posh

If I ever say it jokingly I go the whole hog and steal a bit of line out of the comedy blackadder - "proles and oiks" (proles being short for proletariat) - again - don't ever use either of these words in any kind of serious manner (unless you're talking to prince Philip or Ian Hislop).
I understand. Thanks for the guidance. It's like that with "hicks" in the US, as well, which is roughly equivalent to "redneck." Though recently, self-deprecating humor among self-described rednecks has become popular, as in:

You're Probably a Redneck if... (http://www.hometown.aol.com/luke214/redneck.html - broken link)

or....

YOU MIGHT BE A REDNECK IF ...

Old 04-19-2008, 05:37 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Out of curiosity, is the addressing word, "Ma'am" widely used elsewhere? I've never heard "ma'am" outside US or Canada (not counting expats or other tourists).

"Ma'am" isn't common in Australia, Unless your trying to be polite and even then, It's tends to be "Madam"

"Dickie" = Dickie Seat, A sort of extra exterior seat, Used on 1920/30's cars, Which often folded into the Boot (Trunk) And was sometimes known as a "Rumble Seat" in the US.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 04-19-2008 at 06:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World