Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
East Asia 9 37.50%
Eastern US 15 62.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 01:08 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,925,107 times

Advertisements

Both are large areas of humid subtropical climate located on the eastern side of a large continent. Other than this, however, the two regions have vast differences between each other, in regards to topography, natural landscapes, culture, economy, infrastructure, ethnic diversity, history, etc.

East Asia, for this thread, will include the countries of China, Japan, Taiwan, and the two Koreas. Cities include, but aren't limited to, Tokyo, Beijing, Shanghai, and Taipei. The Southeastern US will include the entire South from East Texas eastward to the Atlantic coast. Cities include, but aren't limited to, Houston, Miami, New Orleans, and Atlanta.

So, I ask, which of the two regions do you prefer, and why?

Last edited by Rozenn; 08-20-2015 at 06:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 01:58 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Hokkaido, North Korea and more than half of China really shouldn't be included since they are not even close to Humid subtropical.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Hokkaido, North Korea and more than half of China really shouldn't be included since they are not even close to Humid subtropical.
Oh, my bad, I should have specified:

When I said "humid subtropical," I was referring to the climate seen over both regions in general; as in, a good majority of the land in both East Asia, and the American South are under the humid subtropical regime. Both cultural regions contain areas of their land outside this humid subtropical regime. Those parts can be included as well, since the terms "East Asia" and the "Southeastern US," refer to the cultural, not climate regions.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:31 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
I suppose Southeast Asia, inasmuch as I live here rather than the southeastern US (I am an American and there's nothing that prevented me from living there).

As far as history, cultural and ethnic diversity, you have thousands of years of culture here, and there are many different cultures and ethnicities native to the region.

If you include Japan, the Koreas, and China, then you're looking at one of the most biodiverse clusters on the world, from subtropical jungles to deserts to mountain ranges to bamboo and disiduous forests and everything inbetween.

Infrastructure across the southeastern US is probably better on the whole - Japan and Korea are generally superior, but China's levels of development vary from modern megalopolises like Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Guangzhou to numerous rural areas with no running water, olumbing, or electricity where people live more or less as they have for centuries, and north Korea is, well, north Korea.

The Southeastern US isn't the US' economic standout, with CA and the BOsWash corridor in the lead. Southeast China has the Pearl River Delta, with HK, GZ, Sz, and many other, smaller cities of over a million people that no one has ever heard of, and where probably half the stuff you own was made. Shanghai and HK are two of the world's most important economic nerve centers. Japan and Korea are two of the world's biggest economies, with Tokyo one of the world's top cities and Seoul one of the is an amazingly modern tech powerhouse. The southeastern US has some important economic houses, but nothing like these....

Old 08-20-2015, 07:04 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
I'd go with East Asia as well for the reasons that 415_s2k stated. The better comparison is with the Northeastern U.S. That is America's primary economic region.

The Southeastern U.S. is probably a good place to retire though. You get a whole lot more house for your money.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'd go with East Asia as well for the reasons that 415_s2k stated. The better comparison is with the Northeastern U.S. That is America's primary economic region.

The Southeastern U.S. is probably a good place to retire though. You get a whole lot more house for your money.
You know what, I thought about this circumstance after I made this thread, and realized that it wouldn't be an appropriate comparison, having just the Southeastern US vs the whole of East Asia. When I made this thread, I was thinking mainly in terms of "subtropical climate on eastern side of a huge continent," but it turns out the climates of the northerly areas of East Asia aren't subtropical at all. My mistake.

The comparison will now be between East Asia and the Eastern US.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:29 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
When you add the rest of the Eastern US into the equation, then it does become somewhat more even. NYC is (arguably) the most important and powerful economic center in the world. The Boston area is an international center of education and one of the leading areas for medical and biotech research - (arguably, again,) possibly the best and most influential place for this in the world. Washington DC is probably the single most important city in the world politically, as the capital of most powerful nation on earth.

East Asia would still lead in biodiversity and (IMHO) variance and depth of traditional culture. The Eastern US has more diversity in terms of international ancestry, and the representation and equality of rights of those people - as historically nonimmigrant societies, East Asian nations are generally ill-equipped to handle people of foreign origins. It is often quite difficult for a long-term resident in Korea, Japan, or China to obtain legal permanent residency and its benefits, and nigh upon impossible to obtain citizenship, even if one is married to a native of that nation. You are more or less relegated to second-class citizen status. While in the US, a foreign national who becomes a citizen enjoys virtually all the same rights as a native born American, in East Asia, these immigrants and even their native-born children are barred from holding government positions, serving in the armed forces or police, are at a huge disadvantage in any legal matters concerning the state or an ethnic native of that nation, etc.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:46 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
...East Asian nations are generally ill-equipped to handle people of foreign origins. It is often quite difficult for a long-term resident in Korea, Japan, or China to obtain legal permanent residency and its benefits, and nigh upon impossible to obtain citizenship, even if one is married to a native of that nation. You are more or less relegated to second-class citizen status. While in the US, a foreign national who becomes a citizen enjoys virtually all the same rights as a native born American, in East Asia, these immigrants and even their native-born children are barred from holding government positions, serving in the armed forces or police, are at a huge disadvantage in any legal matters concerning the state or an ethnic native of that nation, etc.

In Taiwan, however, the Nationality Law was amended some years ago so that children born of foreign national fathers and local Taiwanese mothers could obtain Taiwan (Republic of China) citizenship. previously, children born of foregn national fathers could not obtain ROC citizenship despite their mothers being ROC citizens, even if these children were born in Taiwan.

For many years, Taiwanese parents and young men have been looking for ways to keep their sons and selves from having to serve in Taiwan's military (compulsory conscription still exists, though it is ever less in duration and will eventually be phased out completely). Thus, if you are a foreign national and you marry a Taiwan citizen and live in Taiwan, your children could possibly be forced to serve in Taiwan's military even as local parents (who are both Taiwanese) seek exemption from military service for their children.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:47 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,987 times
Anyway, back to the newly-amended question... as much as I have enjoyed living in East Asia for much of my life, I look forward to retiring in the eastern US.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:17 AM

8 posts, read 6,975 times
Most people who watch TV news or read newspapers in East Asia regard the whole of US as a dangerous country and full of race relation problems.

East Asia is definitely good except for corruption, pollution and problems due to poverty in China and Mongolia. You may think China is bad but money-wise, there are as many millionaires in China and the US nowadays. Forget about North Korea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World