Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 05:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

What country do you live in, and how much of the food that you eat represents the traditional cuisine of your own country? As opposed to foods that have been recently introduced (since WWII) from other parts of the world, like pizza from Italy, curry from India, French fries from America, or Chinese or Mexican dishes.

I live in USA, and it's probably 80% traditional American cooking, with occasional curry, Mexican, or Italian pasta. I never eat out, so I eat ethnic only when it suits me at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 05:57 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Hmmm... tough question. I cook all kinds of food. Some of my cooking doesn't represent traditional food of any country. They are a product of stuff available in my fridge, or adventurous creation one could not categorize.
Sometimes (mostly for holidays) I will cook traditional Polish, German, Russian or Jewish dishes.

What exactly is traditional American cooking?? Native Indian cuisine?

Old 08-24-2015, 06:14 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,192,631 times
Flageolets, cordons bleus, fried fish, fried chicken, rice, pastas, red beans, cassoulet, semolina, mashed potatoes, dragibus, baguettes, various cakes etc, all from my country... except McDo's (French fries).

Old 08-24-2015, 10:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

What exactly is traditional American cooking?? Native Indian cuisine?
Note that in the OP I qualified that as opposed to cuisines that were introduced after WWII. Because if I didn't say that, I just knew somebody would say Italian "traditional" foods had no pasta before Marco Polo and no tomatoes before Columbus.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:14 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
I don't know, hardly anything? I can't think of any traditional Canadian food. I grew up eating a lot of stewed and slow-cooked meats and vegetables. That's probably just a cold-continental thing that exists in any western country with bad winter weather.

Today, most of the food in my diet is certainly 'borrowed'. I would say the bulk of meals fall into either pasta, curry, or stir fries. That's probably the same for any middle to upper middle class person in my region. Poorer people tend to eat hamburgers and sandwiches with fried things and stuff like that way more than anything else.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:49 AM

502 posts, read 655,419 times
I live in Belgium but I'm originally from Spain.

I would say I eat about 50% Spanish, about 20% Belgian and the remaining 30% other cuisines (French, Italian and Japanese top ones, but also Chinese, Moroccan, Greek, Portuguese and some others)

When I cook I tend to cook Spanish or generic Mediterranean (for example yesterday we had homemade pizza)

Old 08-25-2015, 05:04 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,488,519 times
I can say that around 2 or 3 days per week, it depends, sometimes I eat a paella or a tortilla, but other days I can eat beans, beef steak, fries... those internatonal things that do not have popular origin.
When I eat out of home I usually eat pizza, chinese food or kebab.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:07 AM

185 posts, read 258,668 times
I am Colombian so I try to have it weekly... its not easy to find ingredients as before I lived in Namibia and now I am back in Switzerland (Which is also hard as far finding ingredients for Colombian cuisine)

In september I go back home for good so I'll have it all the time!

Old 08-25-2015, 05:39 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
As a guess 80% of what i eat for lunch and dinner is east/south Asian or middle eastern inspired. (My wife is Korean, needless to say we eat Korean food a lot).

Breakfast however is nearly always a more "traditional"cereal and toast combo followed by a trip to the local cafe for a flat white, and bacon eggs etc when I actually have time to cook it on the weekends.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 08-25-2015 at 05:56 AM..

Old 08-25-2015, 06:21 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,435,057 times
Eating beans with rice with some kind of meat and vegetables almost every day is the typical brazilian meal. And I do it frequently too. It's also commom to trade it for some pasta ocasionally. One day of the week (this day varies from city to city, here in Petrópolis is on fridays) we eat Feijoada, that is bean baked with pieces of pork, with rice, cabbage, farofa and pieces of orange.

http://i.imgur.com/NOyfo3R.jpg

There are many others regional dishes. I like those from Bahia, that are versions of african dishes, like Bobó de Camarão.

http://i.imgur.com/TuOOEBr.jpg

American snacks like french fries, hamburger and hot dogs are also very commom in Brazil, but we usally adapt them. Our hot dogs are not only bread and sausage, but also have olives , quail egg ,farofa, peas, grated carrot , grated beets , potato chips, and so on...

http://i.imgur.com/9zsnTSR.jpg

Something in Brazil that foringners never ate is avocado with sugar.

Here some others brazilian snacks:

Stuff Your Never Ate « Rio For Partiers travel guide to Rio de Janeiro

Coconut water

http://i.imgur.com/g63YSWa.jpg

Sugarcane juice

http://i.imgur.com/yYWLtMf.jpg

There are many, many more brazilian food or snack that I like a lot.

Last edited by Rozenn; 08-25-2015 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: Copyright issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World