Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Google Street View will eventually be available on every street in the world?
Yes 13 33.33%
No 26 66.67%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 02:28 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,717,939 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if you think in the future Google Street View will be available on every street in the world? They've come a long way but they still have a long way to go....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 02:36 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,129,247 times
Nope. Germany for example has privacy concerns, and I don't think they'll change their mind anytime soon.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...eet-view/?_r=0

Old 10-31-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
Nope. Germany for example has privacy concerns, and I don't think they'll change their mind anytime soon.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...eet-view/?_r=0
Most German cities are already on Google Street View though.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:52 PM

284 posts, read 331,572 times
And we just need to get the Dear Respected Leader Kim Jong Un on board

Old 10-31-2015, 08:02 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,972,510 times
Maybe in 20 years?

Old 11-01-2015, 05:22 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,129,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Most German cities are already on Google Street View though.
Well, check the difference between Germany and other countries.

You can randomly drop the dummy in Scotland, land in Tongue and make your way towards that mountain in the distance.
You can randomly drop the dummy in Germany, land on a picture and be stuck.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
Well, check the difference between Germany and other countries.

You can randomly drop the dummy in Scotland, land in Tongue and make your way towards that mountain in the distance.
You can randomly drop the dummy in Germany, land on a picture and be stuck.
True... I don't really get why Germany would allow its cities to be covered but not the countryside or the highways connecting the cities. It seems that there would be more potential privacy breaches in cities than on a rural road in the middle of nowhere. Seems a bit backwards to me. I think eventually all of Germany will be covered but Google is going to have to change its approach in how they do stteet view in the future and that goes for other countries that have privacy concerns IMO.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:13 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,817,987 times
Not as long as oppressive regimes still rule several countries and won't let Google or anyone on their behalf in and certainly not as long as a country like Germany and Austria hold on to their privacy laws (i still think they are too strict and that Google Maps doesn't break anyone's privacy).

It will also take years to have an extensive coverage of a country like China who's booming and whose roads and infrastructure keep increasing at a ridiculous rate. Google doesn't even have accutate altimetric maps of parts of China.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Not as long as oppressive regimes still rule several countries and won't let Google or anyone on their behalf in and certainly not as long as a country like Germany and Austria hold on to their privacy laws (i still think they are too strict and that Google Maps doesn't break anyone's privacy).

It will also take years to have an extensive coverage of a country like China who's booming and whose roads and infrastructure keep increasing at a ridiculous rate. Google doesn't even have accutate altimetric maps of parts of China.
Yes most of China is covered by a Chinese company now. Map.qq.com so I'll count that as covered.
Perhaps other local companies in their respective countries can fill the gaps where the various oppressive regimes won't allow Google in.
I could see a North Korean or an Iranian IT company providing street view coverage to their respective countries in the future.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:48 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,817,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yes most of China is covered by a Chinese company now. Map.qq.com so I'll count that as covered.
Perhaps other local companies in their respective countries can fill the gaps where the various oppressive regimes won't allow Google in.
I could see a North Korean or an Iranian IT company providing street view coverage to their respective countries in the future.
Had no idea China was covered by a local company, is the website completely in Chinese or does it have an English version. I think that's what could happen but there are several countries around the world who have more pressing issues rather than this. Iran might be covered soon (i think that if things go the right way, relationship between the West and Iran will improve drastically) as it's a middle of the road country but the likes of Eritrea, North Korea and South Sudan most likely will not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World