Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 02:55 PM

400 posts, read 292,918 times

Advertisements

I feel schadenfraude

Old 05-14-2016, 03:02 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
I do understand you.

But why do so many Europeans worry about Trump wall? I don't think they have the plan to sneak into the U.S illegally.
Because it sets a precedent. And what we worry the most about is his foreign policy which might affect our countries. I think it wouldn't be different from Hillary's, probably not as interventionist, but i could be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Trump will not struggle in Arizona. Arizona loves our questionable Sheriff, Sheriff Arpaio, who has embraced Trump with open arms. Trump will win my state, I know it.
Also minorities have horrible voter turnout.[/quote]

Well, now i can see how Arizona can be red once again.

Quote:
Arpaio styles himself as "America's Toughest Sheriff."[3][4][5] He has been accused of abuse of power, misuse of funds, failure to investigate sex crimes, improper clearance of cases, unlawful enforcement of immigration laws, and election law violations, among others. Because of racial profiling, a Federal court monitor was appointed to oversee his office's operations. The U.S. Department of Justice concluded that Arpaio oversaw the worst pattern of racial profiling in U.S. history, and subsequently filed suit against him for unlawful discriminatory police conduct
By the way, it seems that his parents were from a village not far from where i live. That said, it has a fair amount of immigrants from Mexico and Central America, right? That shouldn't favour Trump, even if he wins it should be closer than last time around

Old 05-14-2016, 03:15 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post

By the way, it seems that his parents were from a village not far from where i live. That said, it has a fair amount of immigrants from Mexico and Central America, right? That shouldn't favour Trump, even if he wins it should be closer than last time around
Yes, not really Central America but lots of Mexicans. It might change the margin apart but Trump will still win. We haven't had a presidential candidate, that I recall, who has said these things about Hispanics. So I can't say for sure.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:23 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Because it sets a precedent. And what we worry the most about is his foreign policy which might affect our countries. I think it wouldn't be different from Hillary's, probably not as interventionist, but i could be wrong

Also minorities have horrible voter turnout.

Arizona is and will be a red state for a while. Having minorities in itself isn't enough to make a state blue or more blue. Many minorities in red states have a tendency to be more conservative. Many Hispanics are Republican in places like Arizona and Texas. It's more complicated than simply demographics, it's also cultural based on region. The only Democrat area in Arizona is Tuscon.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, not really Central America but lots of Mexicans. It might change the margin apart but Trump will still win. We haven't had a presidential candidate, that I recall, who has said these things about Hispanics. So I can't say for sure.
Texas has the second highest number of Latinos in the country after California and it is solidly a red state. More left leaning Latinos tend to be in California, Illinois, New Mexico, New York and New Jersey. Of course, this pretty much makes up the majority of Latinos.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Texas has the second highest number of Latinos in the country after California and it is solidly a red state. More left leaning Latinos tend to be in California, Illinois, New Mexico, New York and New Jersey. Of course, this pretty much makes up the majority of Latinos.
Arizona and Texas are not states that come to mind when people think of liberal to be fair. If people wanted liberal that is the last place they'd look to move. Many of these Latinos have been here as long or even longer than we have given that we were once part of Spanish territory, so they'd probably rather stay where they since it's their home than relocate.

I'm sure even right-leaning Latinos feel at odds with Trump these days.

There are many more liberal areas in Arizona... I live in Tucson and it's moderate at best. Phoenix metro obviously leans right, but all of northern Arizona (Flagstaff, Sedona, etc.), the Native American reservations (25% or so of all land in the state), and many parts of SE Arizona (Bisbee, Nogales) vote blue. The difference is that many of these locations are "diluted" with rural areas that are very conservative, the only exception is the Navajo Nation which is large enough to cover one and 3/4 of our counties (we have large counties).

I'd argue Bisbee, Sedona, and Flagstaff are the true liberal areas in the state, with liberal vibes and everything. Other places that tend to vote Democrat is usually because of minorities, a lot of areas in this state, like Tucson, is a minority-majority city with more Latinos than whites.

Though I agree, it's more than demographics out here. If it was that simple Arizona would be pretty blue by now given roughly 50% women, most places having at least 40% Latino if I took a guess if not higher sometimes, and the Native Americans.

Even if Texas is the second highest it's the per capita or percentages of all population that really matters. Texas could have 20 million Latinos but if it's against 100 million Whites it's sort of a wash (I know that not that many people live in Texas).

I guess New Mexico is the state with the highest per capita or percentage of Latinos in any state and I don't recall them ever voting red.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Arizona and Texas are not states that come to mind when people think of liberal to be fair. If people wanted liberal that is the last place they'd look to move. Many of these Latinos have been here as long or even longer than we have given that we were once part of Spanish territory, so they'd probably rather stay where they since it's their home than relocate.

I'm sure even right-leaning Latinos feel at odds with Trump these days.

There are many more liberal areas in Arizona... I live in Tucson and it's moderate at best. Phoenix metro obviously leans right, but all of northern Arizona (Flagstaff, Sedona, etc.), the Native American reservations (25% or so of all land in the state), and many parts of SE Arizona (Bisbee, Nogales) vote blue. The difference is that many of these locations are "diluted" with rural areas that are very conservative, the only exception is the Navajo Nation which is large enough to cover one and 3/4 of our counties (we have large counties).

I'd argue Bisbee, Sedona, and Flagstaff are the true liberal areas in the state, with liberal vibes and everything. Other places that tend to vote Democrat is usually because of minorities, a lot of areas in this state, like Tucson, is a minority-majority city with more Latinos than whites.

Though I agree, it's more than demographics out here. If it was that simple Arizona would be pretty blue by now given roughly 50% women, most places having at least 40% Latino if I took a guess if not higher sometimes, and the Native Americans.

Even if Texas is the second highest it's the per capita or percentages of all population that really matters. Texas could have 20 million Latinos but if it's against 100 million Whites it's sort of a wash (I know that not that many people live in Texas).

I guess New Mexico is the state with the highest per capita or percentage of Latinos in any state and I don't recall them ever voting red.
My experience with Flagstaff, Prescott, Prescott Valley, Williams etc. is that they seem every bit as conservative. Maybe around Northern Arizona University but just in that immediate vicinity. Again, just my personal experience.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
My experience with Flagstaff, Prescott, Prescott Valley, Williams etc. is that they seem every bit as conservative. Maybe around Northern Arizona University but just in that immediate vicinity. Again, just my personal experience.
Prescott and Williams are definitely conservative. Not Flagstaff however, Flagstaff and Sedona are full of hippies. In fact, Sedona is known for that.

I find it interesting how much other countries care so much about our politics. Back when I was in high school (and knew very little about politics honestly) I travelled to Malaysia and all the people in Borneo kept asking me about Obama's policies. Since I knew nothing, I had no idea what to say. They probably thought I was ignorant, which was fair enough, but they didn't know I was 17 and couldn't vote either.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:01 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
trump is an obnoxious bloviator but id vote for him ahead of hillary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
Hillary Clinton is the worst candidate of all.

So the guy who wants legalize illegal guns.
Who want to expand the US Military
The Guy who supports torture
The Guy who want less involved in with the UN and disrespectful to other country leaders.

The Guy who trying to hide his tax returns.
The Guy Bluntly used racist and inaccurate statics
The numerous sexist comments
The Guy who impersonate his on spokesman during business deals.
The guy who said I pay you legal fees if you fight a protester.

Why Trump gets away with outrageous lies and no one seems to care

"76 percent of Trump’s statements are rated either “mostly false,” “false,” or “pants on fire,” which is to say off-the-charts false. By comparison, Hillary Clinton’s total is 29 percent."

Donald Trump's file | PolitiFact

Hillary Clinton's file | PolitiFact

What remotely on this.......... Green planet..... is worst about Hilary then Trump?

Old 05-16-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Prescott and Williams are definitely conservative. Not Flagstaff however, Flagstaff and Sedona are full of hippies. In fact, Sedona is known for that.

I find it interesting how much other countries care so much about our politics. Back when I was in high school (and knew very little about politics honestly) I travelled to Malaysia and all the people in Borneo kept asking me about Obama's policies. Since I knew nothing, I had no idea what to say. They probably thought I was ignorant, which was fair enough, but they didn't know I was 17 and couldn't vote either.
Ok, thanks. My experience with Flagstaff is limited.

Other countries do care because, like I said earlier, the US's policies can and do impact other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World