Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 09:21 AM

8,879 posts, read 8,493,708 times

Advertisements

I've met a lot of Americans who dream to go to Thailand and Vietnam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 09:41 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,697,802 times
I've seen Americans all over, so at least some of them have the desire to travel to exotic places. To be sure, for many Americans, a good vacation is a trip to Disneyland or Florida, or maybe a road trip to see some national parks. Or, maybe they just stay at home.

If guess they don't venture out of the country for a number or reasons. Too little vacation time. Not enough money. Fear of the unknown. Stupidity. People have some strange notions about other countries. For example, some people believe all the people in France are "rude." Or, they might believe that Rome is filled with pickpockets or that there are terrorists hiding behind every bush in all Muslim countries. Some seem to think that the only people who visit Thailand are child molesters. There's no end to the nonsense people seem to believe.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:49 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,385,816 times
One reason is because common Americans are the world's richest commoners. They are pampered.

I know one who complain about the food in Asia.

I know one who complain about the bad hygiene in Asia.

I know one who complain about the small houses/accommodation in Asia with lack of amenities i.e. backyard, bath tub, heaters/AC...

Countries like Oz and NZ maybe better options but it lacks the technology Americans are accustomed to.

Americans have almost everything in their own continent offering the same comfort why spend more money travelling overseas?

Old 01-08-2016, 01:20 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,003,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
False premise. Just because Europe gets more American tourists doesn't mean American's don't want to travel to Africa, Asia, and South America. And like everyone else pointed out, plenty of Americans actually do travel to those places.

But back to Europe..

A)A place with uncountable widely known cultural and historical attractions, well-developed transportation infrastructure, and where English is almost universally spoken

A better question than that of the title…what advantages does Europe have compared to other destinations? Why is Europe such a magnet?

Old 01-08-2016, 01:44 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,697,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
A better question than that of the title…what advantages does Europe have compared to other destinations? Why is Europe such a magnet?
Well, Europe is more civilized than most of the rest of the world. Maybe people feel "safe" vacationing there. For some people, that's a big consideration.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:07 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,305,387 times
America is just too big. if you can not see the 50 states how much more other countries who are farther away?

besides, many really think that they are exceptional and dont need to see the world. they are all poor, as one i know told me, coming from someone who live next door to NY and never saw the World Trade Center before it was taken down by terrorists

Old 01-08-2016, 02:09 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,286,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
One reason is because common Americans are the world's richest commoners. They are pampered.

I know one who complain about the food in Asia.

I know one who complain about the bad hygiene in Asia.

I know one who complain about the small houses/accommodation in Asia with lack of amenities i.e. backyard, bath tub, heaters/AC...

Countries like Oz and NZ maybe better options but it lacks the technology Americans are accustomed to.

Americans have almost everything in their own continent offering the same comfort why spend more money travelling overseas?
Replace Americans with Westerners and you could have a small point. Except for perhaps size of accommodation although I actually doubt that is a big issue as I don't believe that the average tourists (american or otherwise) complains about the lack of a backyard or bath tub in their hotel room.

Also what technology would the average American miss in Australia or New Zealand?

Old 01-08-2016, 02:17 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,990,142 times
I'd like to go to the holy land hell i'd like to go to mecca and the vatican

But honestly

I don't care about traveling that much because it's just people trying to make a living over the whole world

Old 01-08-2016, 05:17 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,362,437 times
If I would get a dollar for every American Southeast Asia tourist in a tank top and/or these colourful pyjama pants I'd be rich.

In other words: there are plenty of Americans in Africa, Asia and Latin America.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:47 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,209,906 times
Guess perceived familiarity.

I'm American...I've been to numerous Caribbean islands and to Europe and live in the Caribbean now. My family is from the Caribbean though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World