Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 06:06 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
Source?
I second your request, OP seems to be just making up things out of nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 11:46 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPetty View Post
When Americans go out of the country they always want to travel to Europe or Canada if anywhere else but they won't bother traveling to any other part of the world.
Europe is the root of western culture and civilization. Africa, Asia and Latin America are not.

So, it is understandable why a lot of Americans would prefer to travel to a place where they share a common heritage.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:55 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
The reality is, the majority of Americans can't afford to travel very far away.

I don't know why people in other countries seem to think that we are all rich.

I'm actually very well off, and still can only afford a trip out of the country once every decade or so.

As for why more Americans seem to go to Europe than other places (if that's true) it probably has more to do with the cost of air fare and in-country transportation than anything else.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:15 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
To some extent it is a matter of budget priority and some apprehension about distance and safety. First off, its easier and cheaper to stay in the US -- and no language issue. Secondly, many or most Americans have a certain affinity toward Europe (ancestry, war service or whatever). Third is the safety and stability issue --- not as bad as people think but perception is reality.

A lot of people asked if I wasn't fearful to go to Peru. Peru was the most welcoming and tourist friendly country I've visited. Also, there's no jet lag going to South America.... same time zones, generally. It is also pretty affordable.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:35 PM

1,087 posts, read 781,729 times
People travel to nearby countries the most -- no doubt. What are the top cities attracting the most international tourists? Top cities for international tourists are ... - CNN.com

7 of the top 10 cities are in Asia. Only London & Paris are in Europe, and NYC is North America. All of those places are safe, clean and accommodating enough to attract tens of millions every year.

Top city destinations by arrivals

1. Hong Kong -- 23,770,200 (6.5%)

2. Singapore -- 21,345,700 (7.7%)

3. Bangkok -- 15,822,600 (14.6%)

4. London -- 15,461,000 (2.3%)

5. Macau -- 13,360,800 (3.4%)

6. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia -- 13,339,500 (6.7%)

7. Shenzhen, China -- 12,100,400 (9.6%)

8. New York City -- 11,618,000 (8.9%)

9. Antalya, Turkey -- 10,296, 600 (-1.6%)

10. Paris -- 9,780,800 (3.3%)

Old 01-09-2016, 08:36 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Sub-Saharan Africa and Central Asia are probably the only places on Earth that I have yet to do heavy research on. I don't really understand their geography and I have never felt a strong urge to visit Africa proper. I think maybe, and despite that it does have cities, it lacks something for those who aren't seeking only bucolic-type travel experiences. It's also quite a bit more expensive and complicated to get there from the Americas compared to Europe or Asia or Latin America.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:49 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPetty View Post
When Americans go out of the country they always want to travel to Europe or Canada if anywhere else but they won't bother traveling to any other part of the world.
I think that is a reflection of the people you know there in Ohio.

The Americans I know, travel all over the world, to all of those places, myself included.

Having grown up in Michigan though; the people I grew up, very very few would be able to afford to travel anywhere at all; and being American history textbooks are generally European-centric; I think Europe pops in their head first in their dreaming mind. The reality of most Michigan people though, is few would get farther than Florida.

It's not that they wouldn't want to travel all over; its just that financially, its completely impossible. So, generally, they don't even think about it at all.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:09 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Most Americans if they do leave the US, and it is not to Mexico, to visit close relatives (meaning US citizens who immigrated, but yet are traveling to another country who are counted in the statistics), to Canada, or to some Caribbean country, only will leave the US maybe two or three times in their life. So the biggest bang for the buck to them is Europe. There is no doubt Europe is rich in cultural history, a history in which the western world (meaning the US) was founded off of. So when someone has a few bucks and some time, they are going to want to see all of those iconic landmarks that they have heard about their whole life.

Despite the large immigration, the US is still European centric, and Big Ben means more to them than the Great Wall. Does not make one more significant than the other comparatively, but the attraction will be more towards London than to Beijing.

Americans in general are among the least traveling people given the number of Americans and the wealth of the country, I will come across less Americans than Australians, Spaniards, Russians, Kiwis, Swedes, and even Israelis. Of those that I do or here stories in the US of their trips, it is often because of college, Peace Corps, or missionary work.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:22 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,573 times
1) When you only get two weeks vacation a year it is impossible anyway. 2) It is relatively expensive to live here on a US salary and so no spare cash for vacations. 3) A lot of Americans don't realize there are other countries in the world anyway.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:32 PM

1,087 posts, read 781,729 times
The discussion topic here is close to worldwide international tourism -- travel for leisure.

Here're data and charts for world tourism:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

Another related topic is worldwide airline routes. Airlines operate routes because of travelers needs.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World