Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 09:59 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Not China-jin but Sina-jin (支那人). This is why sina.com were criticized before.

BTW, Xuanzang
(Chinese: 玄奘; Wade–Giles: Hsüan-tsang; c. 602 – 664), born Chen Hui or Chen Yi (Chen I), was a Chinese Buddhist monk, scholar, traveller, and translator who described the interaction between China and India in the early Tang dynasty. Born in what is now Henan province around 602, from boyhood he took to reading religious books, including the Chinese classics and the writings of ancient sages.
As far as I know, he is the best foreign student in history. And how did he introduce himself in foreign countries? The answer is 支那僧.

OK. You may criticize Xuanzang now
As I said, historical context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 10:49 PM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times
Double standards.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:31 PM

451 posts, read 1,323,848 times
Here is my take. I think the term "Chinaman" can be distinguished from calling someone as a Englishman, Frenchman, etc. (the real equivalent should be "Chineseman" anyways, otherwise you should call the English, "Englandman", and the Frenchman, "Franceman."- I digress).

I think the way one was referenced as a "Chinaman" was used in a context of disdain rather than a description of the person national origin or ethnicity like "Englishman" or "Frenchman." During the 1800's most of the Chinese that came to the US or UK were poor laborers coming from the Qing Dynasty ruled China. It was time when China was quite weak and colonist started trying to divide up a weak China. Some of you may have seen this cartoon. See this cartoon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...sm_cartoon.jpg

Also, as I stated most of the Chinese that came during the 1800's were men, poor, uneducated laborers, and culturally very different from Europeans. When someone was referred to as a "Chinaman"-they were trying to emphasize that they are nothing but a dime in a dozen, poor, dirty, uneducated and alien. This is just my humble opinion and assessment.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:59 PM

16 posts, read 21,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Thank you for your very thought provoking post

Chinaman was used as a racial pejorative in the past. Irishman was never used in this way, but calling an Irish person a m*** is pretty offensive.
Yes Irishman was. I know it wasn't the number one insult, but it was often used in sentences when Irish were the lower and discriminated against class.

I think it is more that Irish aren't as sensitive to past racism.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:46 PM

919 posts, read 839,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
As I said, historical context.
What kind? You wrote nothing about that.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:12 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times
That term is used in Trinidad where my parents are from. It is not really meant to be offensive, but I personally find it annoying as a lot of the time the person is not even really Chinese ( other oriental ) so the term could accidently be interpreted as offensive. I cannot count the times I have had to correct my dad ex how is your freind from school doing? You know the Chinese girl? Me: Dad for God sake she is Filipino! Not the same place! Then again they also refer to white people, Arabs or Hispanic people there by similar types of vague semi offensive terms too ... Ex the white boy, the spanishy one, the Syrian boy .... Lol. Not sure what that is all about, but likely more playful ignorance then intentionally insulting.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:45 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,767,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Didn't even know that could be used as an insult. Calling someone Cinese or Uomo Cinese isn't seen as offensive here in Italy. The fact that English has so many pejorative terms (in comparison to Italian which has just two which are negro for Africans and crucco for Germans) for the various ethnicities speaks volumes about how racist and xenophobes English speaking countries were/are.
No. What it illustrates is the heightened altruism, kindliness, mannerliness, and social-consciousness of English-speaking peoples.

These characteristics have become weaknesses, exploited by ruthless outsiders, who wish to subjugate and replace them in their own lands. The English-speaking peoples can be shamed into abandoning words which have been labeled as 'offensive', because, collectively, they are kind people who care for the feelings of others.

Certain others, apparently, lack the innate wiring for true morality, and so cannot be so easily shamed, because, inwardly, they lack the heightened ability to empathize.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:18 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,346 times
Because some nations and especially some individuals wants to point out why you (especially if a white person) are a racist when you are just treating them as everyone else.

That is only manipulation by using racism as excuse.

Also many individuals of certain races uses some words with each other but if some other is using it that is "racism". Double standards...

Old 02-18-2016, 07:34 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,423,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Can anyone explain this?
Oh well perhaps the reason why Chinaman is offensive, because the word was invented by White people to make fun of Chinese or any other East Asian person.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:41 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,803 times
Chinaman is never used in England and does not sound offensive but Chinky, which is offensive was heard of in the 70`s I am sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World