Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 07:43 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Soccer isn't the most popular women's sport here either. Basketball, volleyball and track are more popular. Softball is as popular with adolescent girls here as soccer.
I think one of the hopes of soccer advocates is that its popularity as a youth sport would automatically translate into adult fans. There has been some of that, but nowhere close to what was anticipated.

The reason so many kids in the US play soccer is simple: The parents choose it. It's cheap, there are no equipment costs, and it's undemanding on the body of a young child. The tell is when the kids get to be around 10 or so. They suddenly abandon soccer in droves. In my part of the country, the sport that is taking off among youth is lacrosse. Once-healthy local soccer leagues are going begging for players once you get to ten years of age. The last year my son played soccer, the established league to which he belonged had to cancel a third of its games because the teams simply didn't have enough players. Instead, they were out on the lacrosse field.

Meanwhile, for girls, softball and volleyball are more and more predominating.

Last edited by cpg35223; 06-12-2016 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 08:04 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Quote:
But I was only counting females. Men have nothing to do it.
Couldn't find a website which only listed females and the sheer number of females operating in a sport. I'm struggling even more to find similar statistics for Italy

Quote:
How is soccer the second most popular women's sport? It's third in your link. And adolescent girls participation has soccer at 4th (but almost 5th to softball) in the US after track, basketball and volleyball according to the 2014-2015 High School Athletics Participation Survey/National Federation of State High School Associations.

Besides volleyball, what other 3 sports are more popular among girls in Italy than soccer?
We're talking for females on a whole, irrispectively of age. Aside from that, i didn't take into account track and field because it's a sport everyone gets through in the USA high school system or so it seems whereas here in Italy the track and field movement is almost non existent

I'm trying to find data for my own country to back what i am trying to explain but i can't find any data that's exclusively for females.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:18 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
The Germans have arrived in Lille with a flag they cannot display at home:

Old 06-12-2016, 10:24 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,442 times
In the US it's called soccer simply to distinguish it from US NFL football, just like rugby elsewhere.

Women's soccer is much more developed in the US than either men's soccer in the US, or women's soccer in the EU.

That's because of of a 1972 law, abbreviated to Title 9, that makes it illegal to discriminate by sex in any education program that receives Federal funding. Result was women who wanted to play football chose soccer over American football, and women's soccer thrived to the point where today the term "soccer moms" is widely accepted and understood, for the moms who show up to support their daughters, (ages 6-16).

The US is way ahead of the rest of the world in the development of women's soccer, but that's not saying much, because it is so underdeveloped in the rest of the world.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:27 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,798 times
Quote:
Grizzly Adams,

it looks pretty gay doesn't it?

I think a no hands/no contact/little runner boy sport like soccer is not a man's sport no matter how you slice it. Maybe we can prove their femininity once and for all by putting the little runner boys on the football field.
So what are your feelings about Basketball? Baseball? Tennis? Golf?

Not every sport can be like Hockey or Football where violence is literally part of the game.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:17 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Quote:
Grizzly Adams,

it looks pretty gay doesn't it?

I think a no hands/no contact/little runner boy sport like soccer is not a man's sport no matter how you slice it. Maybe we can prove their femininity once and for all by putting the little runner boys on the football field.
Yes, (fat) men in spandex is very masculine.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:35 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

I always loved that particular worldballs. lol

Old 06-12-2016, 01:15 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Sadly the Germans and Ukrainians have been fighting in Lille, it's all becoming pathetic.

Euro 2016: Watch Germany and Ukraine fans battle ahead of big match in Lille - Daily Record

Euro 2016: Russian hooligans took MMA gloves and gum shields to assault which left 19 English fans in hospital | International | Sport | The Independent

Violence in Nice as Northern Ireland and Poland fans attacked by local hooligans - Mirror Online

NI fans attacked in Nice amid Euros violence | UTV - ITV News

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-12-2016 at 01:33 PM..

Old 06-12-2016, 01:36 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
To be honest I don't care if England just come home, FIFA are corrupt, UEFA are a joke and the French Police are useless.

I remember when England hosted Euro 96, there were no problems what so ever. It seems every time France hosts such events there is trouble.

UEFA Euro 1996 - Wiki

As for putting England in Marseille, where there have been problems before, UEFA need their heads examining.

Whilst the local Marseille Ultras were out to get the English, as were the Russian Ultras who even had gun shields and martial arts equipment on them, and who hospitalised 19 England fans including seriously injuring a 51 year old England fan. The Russians also went on to charge at the Englands fans at the end of last nights game, as far as I am concerned UEFA can please it's self what it does, as I am rapidly losing interest in European football.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:40 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
What I've heard is that English fans have chanted "if it wasn't for us you'd be Krauts" and "we love you ISIS, we do" for a couple of days. Then about downing German bombers and "come here, where are you ISIS" to everyone looking even remotely Muslim.

Provoking or not, OM and OGC Nice ultras decided that this is still their city despite the English wannabes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World