Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:07 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Sydney is the best of that group imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 12:57 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith talent View Post
San Diego is pretty and dry, but it has a huge military presence, right-wingers and religious nuts of all persuasions, mixed with the usual California loopiness. As it's been said, if you held up the U.S. by 3 corners and shook it, all the loose nuts and bolts end up in the Golden State. It would be an odd Frenchman who could live there.
Oh please....MOST people are NOT crazy in California. If you're trying to say there is a variety of people from many backgrounds, then that is true, and definitely not a negative thing in itself.
I wonder how much time you've even spent there

There's a lot of good things about California, but some people get this overly idealistic vision, and when it isn't what they thought it would be, then they just complain. That's why I discourage people from moving here unless they know what it's all about, good and bad.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:02 PM

312 posts, read 1,519,614 times
orangeapple,I'm agree with you
California people are great and friendly,and California is beautiful !!!

Old 02-29-2008, 10:10 PM

172 posts, read 476,068 times
Hey, I was just quoting an old quip for fun and hyperbole's sake. I've probably spent a couple of months all told, in various parts of California. Have camped in the redwoods, backpacked amid the sequoias and snowbound Sierras in June, got drunk in East Hollywood, played bar video trivia in Venice, was in a cheap downtown SF hotel for the '89 quake, stayed in Sonoma County a couple of times, checked into the Lamon Hotel on E Street in San Diego for a week back in the early 80s, got mugged across the border from lovely Calexio en route to my brother's wedding in the early 90s ... think I passed a night in Blythe, too, on the way to the Kofas in Arizona ...

Not so very long to have spent in the Golden State, maybe, but I've known a few Californians, too, for better and worser. It's surely a fascinating place, but the people always seemed a bit goofy to me, like they believed they had built a utopia, or were disgusted that it hadn't quite worked out right. Folks are very concerned about their health, it seemed to me, there, but the most common ailment I saw there would be irony deficiency!

I hope they'll let me back in one day, but if I had to choose between San Diego and, say, Bandol or Aix, it wouldn't be too tough.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:20 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Definitely Paris!

First of all, as crowded as Paris is, it's nothing like NY. Paris is just an amazingly beautiful city. You'll WANT to be outside wandering around the city. While Paris can get cold, it's nothing like New York. On the other hand, Paris doesn't get very hot, either. It's very temperate. Very GREEN. And thanks to the world's fastest trains, you can go from Paris to the sunny south of France in just a few hours.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:46 PM

162 posts, read 271,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaa888 View Post
My husband is French. We met in the US and have been living in NYC for the last few years. NYC has been great for our careers (we are both in banking) and we have been really happy here but cannot imagine staying long term. I really don't like the cold weather, the long working hours, the dirty streets and subways, the small apartments, the cost of living and the lack of outdoor space. I definitely do not want to raise children in NYC.

So we want to move! Our options our Paris (where my husband owns a very old and small apartment), San Diego (neither of us have visited, but we love warm weather and the outdoors and have heard it is a great city) or Sydney (where my husband spent his college years and has family, warm weather and outdoors - I have visited and really liked it too but it is expensive).

Having never lived in Europe, I think it would be fun to try Paris for a few years (that is also my husband's first preference). However, I am worried about getting stuck there as it is not a place I want to live forever given the cold weather, the cost of living, the small spaces etc etc (i.e. it has the same downsides as NYC with the upside that it is a new experience that I may regret not having otherwise). I could see us long term in Sydney or San Diego (places with big spaces, warm weather etc). Anyway, we are very very confused as to the right option. LA could also be fun. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!!!
San Diego is very boring. Skip it. I've never been to Sydney so can't comment.

But pretty much everything you don't like about New York will be the same in Paris. The expense, the dirt, small apartments, lack of outdoor space and to many central Paris isn't the place to raise a kid either. I strongly disagree, and think cities like Paris and New York are excellent places to raise sophisticated kids. Why would you think otherwise?

Oh, and Los Angeles is pretty much a dump so I suggest skipping that as well. I don't think you'd like it.

I honestly think you should stay in New York or go to Paris. To me, they are the most amazing cities in the world and your child would thank you later for raising them in either two.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:50 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,167,631 times
San Deigo!!

Old 03-11-2008, 06:39 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
If you're thinking of starting a family soon, I'd vote for Sydney. I lived there for a few years as a child and it was outstanding. Public schools are excellent (I was about 1.5 years ahead when I returned to the USA in 3rd grade), people are extremely friendly, the weather is outstanding and you have access to some of the world's best beaches. Having family there already is a huge plus, especially once you have kids. Sydney's not cheap, however I'd guess that its comparable to San Diego and cheaper than Paris or NYC. The hardest thing about living in Sydney is the relative isolation you'll feel compared to somewhere like NYC or Paris.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:42 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Although I love NYC, I would choose Sydney which has the best weather of the group as well as the wonderful beaches of Australia. Don't know too much about Paris, except the eiffel tower there and San Diego (where I lived for 2 years) sucks big time!

Old 03-13-2008, 05:08 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,562 times
I would probably choose in order:

San Diego
New York/Sydney(tie)
Paris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World