Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 06:37 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
In C. America, Catholicism was the most prevalent (but there's always been a base of Native People's religions - probably more true now that Protestant missions are also visiting & establishing churches).s[/url]
No. There is very little true protestantism in Central America. There are more evangelical churches and in those churches there is complete rejection of anything Native. The only central American country with any significant native culture is Guatemala.

Quote:
Any proselytizing religion in CA will have to incorporate NP's languages, customs, values & so on.
Not true at all. Churches is where you will find the most rejetion of Native customs.

Quote:
. Languages also vary in CA - especially away from the cities. See [url="http://www.native-languages.org/most-central.htm"]Most Commonly Spoken Central American Language
Not really. There are many people that speak Mayan languages in the western Highlands of Guatemala, but Spanish is the dominant language in most of Guatemala. There is next to no Native languages spoken in Honduras and El Salvador. Spanish is the dominant language In Northern Central America, that includes Guatemala.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 06:15 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
The only parallels that I can see between the two regions is that in both you can cross border after border jumping from one country to another, and people in every country will (mostly) have the same religion, and speak the same language.

In the Middle East, Islam (religion) and Arabic (language), in Central America, Catholicism (religion) and Spanish (language).
There are more languages than Arabic spoken in the Middle East, quite a few actually. Also, more religions than Islam.

In Central America, Mayan is still spoken in Guatemala, Belize and Honduras. There are also Creole languages that are still prominent in many countries and you will meet people who speak them, I did in Costa Rica.

These connections the OP is trying to make are forced and arbitrary, as someone else mentioned.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:32 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
No. There is very little true protestantism in Central America. There are more evangelical churches and in those churches there is complete rejection of anything Native. The only central American country with any significant native culture is Guatemala.

Not true at all. Churches is where you will find the most rejetion of Native customs.

Not really. There are many people that speak Mayan languages in the western Highlands of Guatemala, but Spanish is the dominant language in most of Guatemala. There is next to no Native languages spoken in Honduras and El Salvador. Spanish is the dominant language In Northern Central America, that includes Guatemala.

I'm not sure about ES and Honduras, but in Costa Rica there are the Borucas who live in small regions close to the Panama border. I visited one of their communities and it was quite large and well organized. They still speak in their native tongue and it looks like their community is around 2,500 people.

I traveled throughout CR for a month, from the Nicaragua border to the Panama border. I visited many cities and small towns in pretty much every region. I also heard a Creole language being spoken in the Caribbean side. From what I heard it may be derived from Jamaican Creole.

This made me realize how diverse Costa Rica is and also that there are way more Native American groups than people account for in Central America.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:59 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
How you cited Brazil I will give a partial opinion
I don’t think that both situations have any similarities. Gangs members in Latin America are just criminals looking for money, they are normal criminals. In middle east jihadists have religious motivation.
I am not sure for weak countries like Honduras or El Salvador and don’t know if Mexican army fought against gangs but in Brazil gangs really do not face the Brazilian army or even any special police force, they flee. They act in areas where is notorious the lack of Brazilian State presence.

If a woman is raped in Latin American the ‘’macho culture’’ is exactly the opposite, mans have to kill the rapists, because that, rapists are always killed when jailed for another kinds of bandits in the prisons.
Is normal rapist be lynched by people at street too.
The macho culture see also that in case of kids, daughters, wife raped their relatives specially fathers and brothers weren’t ‘’enough man’’ to protect her.
Interesting perspective with the macho culture. That part is very different than the Arab and Muslim world. That is actually not so bad, LOL.

There have been news stories about extended gun battles between the Mexican military and cartel forces in places like Juarez, Tijuana and Acapulco. Like I mentioned in the original post both the liberal and conservative media run stories about violence in Latin America for their own reasons. One side is things are so bad down there that is why we need to allow more people in. The other side says look at the mess down there we don't want that brought into the US.

I'm just writing a fanfic story online for fun, the hero is a CIA assassin who usually operates in the Middle East but has to travel to Central America on an off the books operation when one of their friends and colleagues is kidnapped by an armed gang with ties to the Zetas cartel.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:04 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

I thought Guatemala had the highest population of evangelical Christians in Central America, right? It seems like when my church (Baptist) sponsors missionaries its usually in Honduras and Costa Rica though its not unheard of for American churches to engage in missions activities in Guatemala. In other parts of Latin America, Mexico and Brazil seem to be popular mission fields.

I get the impression the Catholic Church in general caters to local traditions for example things Virgin of Guadalupe are part of Mexican Catholicism but unheard of let's say among Irish Catholics who have their own separate saints, rituals, etc. I assume Santa Muerte is also a fusion of Catholic and indigineous beliefs?

Old 02-11-2017, 03:31 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Why don't you actually do research in some Central American countries instead of depending on online armchair analysts who cycle conspiracy theories?

Central America has diverse, distinct countries, each with their own set of problems. It's irresponsible and wrong to be making far-fetched connections and not taking the time to understand the local culture/problem of the place you are referring to.

Take some history classes and travel to Central America.
I don't agree with you often but when I do, I tend to do so strongly.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:48 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
[/b]

I'm not sure about ES and Honduras, but in Costa Rica there are the Borucas who live in small regions close to the Panama border. I visited one of their communities and it was quite large and well organized. They still speak in their native tongue and it looks like their community is around 2,500 people.

I traveled throughout CR for a month, from the Nicaragua border to the Panama border. I visited many cities and small towns in pretty much every region. I also heard a Creole language being spoken in the Caribbean side. From what I heard it may be derived from Jamaican Creole.

This made me realize how diverse Costa Rica is and also that there are way more Native American groups than people account for in Central America.

Definitely derived from Jamaican. I used to spend a fair amount of time in Limon and became friendly with many of the local fishermen and low level politicians. All of the blacks who I met said they were of Jamaican descent. Those who interacted with foreigners a lot spoke pretty good English, but those who were 3rd and 4th generation without much outside exposure spoke something that was just about unintelligible. Even their Spanish was pretty crappy.

The Caribbean Central American coast is fairly autonomous, especially in Nicaragua. Most of the cultures are quite removed from what you would find in the capitals. Some of my favorite travels were to this area.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:39 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
The only parallels that I can see between the two regions is that in both you can cross border after border jumping from one country to another, and people in every country will (mostly) have the same religion, and speak the same language.

In the Middle East, Islam (religion) and Arabic (language), in Central America, Catholicism (religion) and Spanish (language).
Correction... Islam is not and has never been the only religion practiced in Arab or Middle Easterns countries. Google it ....

Old 02-11-2017, 04:40 PM

Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the usa has a long history of interfering in both regions , other than that , i dont see much comparison
So true.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:43 PM

Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Beirut definitely isn't comparable to Gaza or Kabul, and East Jerusalem was essentially annexed by the Israelis decades ago. They'll likely never give it back, and the historic sites you think of as being in Jerusalem, namely the entire Old City, are all in the eastern section of Jerusalem. It's by no means war torn. It's probably safer than many of the large cities here in America.
Reading stuff written about the middle east and Arabs or Muslims on this forum makes me laugh. So many people seem to just not have a clue about these very diverse parts of the world and base what they are saying on crap the see on tv lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World