Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is cultural appropriation a good thing?
Yes, it's a compliment and gets the culture exposure. 23 38.98%
No, it's offensive and derogatory. 4 6.78%
It's mostly a good thing but sometimes isn't executed properly. 28 47.46%
Usually a bad thing but can be good when done right. 4 6.78%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 12:17 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever96 View Post
Cultural appropriation - Using another's culture.

In my opinion cultural appropriation can be harmful and ''disrespectful'' in some regard but only in some instances.

For example when White people wear dreadlocks because they think its ''trendy'' or ''alternative'' Dreadlocks in western countries generally are generally from the Caribbean, I don't deny that Europeans may have put their hair in locks before but in modern day I believe most to get this ''trend'' from African-Caribbean people.

I do think its slightly ''odd'' for White People to be wearing their hair like this, because not so long ago dreadlocks was seen as dirty not just that but it has real importance to African-Caribbean people today who wear it. For some it means going against historical societal racism & being proud of your (African) heritage.

Another form of cultural appropriation is yoga used in the west; yoga which comes from India and has great cultural importance there is bastardised and is used in the west to ''relax'' many don't even know where yoga comes from.

http://www.vice.com/en_us/article/is...nt-practice-it

Cultural appropriation is wrong when a important aspect of ones culture is taken and used while not understanding the deep meaning of the aspect of the culture you're adopting.

I'd like to add on the grand scheme of things this issue of ''cultural appropriation'' (which I think its a stupid term) is silly.
I think the term ''cultural insensitivity'' is a better word and goes straight to the point to whom people appropriate another's culture disrespectfully. Hope that makes sense.
I take issue with both examples you mentioned. You tied in Dreadlocks and the Caribbean. Just because Caribbean culture were the last group to make dreads a broad part of their culture doesn't mean they have exclusive rights to it. Dreadlocks have been a feature of different cultures from around the global since the dawn of time. Also would you apply that same argument to African Americans who have dreads? It wasn't a thing in the US until the 1980's when Jamaican music started becoming popular. Are African Americans culturally appropriating African Caribbean culture by wearing dreads?

Yoga was brought to the US by a Hindu mystic by the name of Swami Vivekananda. Who by the way is considered a Hindu saint in India. I struggle to accuse westerns of culturally appropriating Yoga then people came over from India with the express interest of teaching Westerners Yoga. Once something is absorbed into a culture, it is allowed to evolve to suit the needs and desires of that particular culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 12:23 PM

699 posts, read 368,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I take issue with both examples you mentioned. You tied in Dreadlocks and the Caribbean. Just because Caribbean culture were the last group to make dreads a broad part of their culture doesn't mean they have exclusive rights to it. Dreadlocks have been a feature of different cultures from around the global since the dawn of time. Also would you apply that same argument to African Americans who have dreads? It wasn't a thing in the US until the 1980's when Jamaican music started becoming popular. Are African Americans culturally appropriating African Caribbean culture by wearing dreads?

Yoga was brought to the US by a Hindu mystic by the name of Swami Vivekananda. Who by the way is considered a Hindu saint in India. I struggle to accuse westerns of culturally appropriating Yoga then people came over from India with the express interest of teaching Westerners Yoga. Once something is absorbed into a culture, it is allowed to evolve to suit the needs and desires of that particular culture.
I think you misunderstood my point.

''Cultural appropriation is wrong when a important aspect of ones culture is taken and used while not understanding the deep meaning of the aspect of the culture you're adopting.''

Old 06-20-2017, 12:34 PM

470 posts, read 214,591 times
I voted: It's mostly a good thing but sometimes isn't executed properly.

This for example:

Spoiler

Old 06-20-2017, 12:45 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times
Quote:

''Cultural appropriation is wrong when a important aspect of ones culture is taken and used while not understanding the deep meaning of the aspect of the culture you're adopting.''
I understood your point but my point was cultures should be allowed to culturally appropriate what they want and use it as they please. Its not a package deal. Yoga for example here in the US is mostly seen as a form of relaxation, stress relief and exercise. It largely has removed the Hindu Mysticism once associated with it. This is not a bad thing, exercise, stress relief and relaxation are healthy for the mind and body and the fact that people are using Yoga to do so is something we should be celebrating. We don't need Hindu Mysticism mixed with yoga for it to be something special to us.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I understood your point but my point was cultures should be allowed to culturally appropriate what they want and use it as they please. Its not a package deal. Yoga for example here in the US is mostly seen as a form of relaxation, stress relief and exercise. It largely has removed the Hindu Mysticism once associated with it. This is not a bad thing, exercise, stress relief and relaxation are healthy for the mind and body and the fact that people are using Yoga to do so is something we should be celebrating. We don't need Hindu Mysticism mixed with yoga for it to be something special to us.
Yes, but the fact that some people don't even know where yoga comes from is stupid. Cultural insensitivity.

I can't think of other examples of cultural insensitivity maybe I'll come back and add more.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:18 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:

OK, but unless you dreadlocked white man is also wearing the Rasta tricolor and calling people bumbaclaat, and praising Jah, who is to say there is any depth of culture to be plumbed? Just because someone wear dreads does not meat they are adopting Caribbean culture of any sort.

As for yoga, westerners mainly practice Hatha yoga which is a secular form of exercise that has had some Hindu spiritualism attached to it in very recent history. One could just as easily say the Indian founders of modern Hatha yoga appropriated traditional Indian calisthenics and teaching their combined form to westerners rather than western exercise enthusiasts appropriating Hindu spiritualism.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:26 PM

783 posts, read 576,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
When there is apparent mockery.

For example,

White guy with dreadlocks - Not Cultural Appropriation
(He is wearing a hair style)

White guy with dreadlocks who spouts Rastafarian wisdom without a full understanding or context - Cultural Appropriation
(He is somewhat ignorant, but not intentionally disrespectful)

White guy with a crew cut who wears one of those Rasta tricolor beanies with fake dreads sticking out the back while smoking a giant spliff at a summer music festival - Cultural Denigration
(He is making fun at the expense of another's culture)

White guy with dreadlocks - Nobody's business
(He is wearing a hair style)

White guy with dreadlocks who spouts Rastafarian wisdom without a full understanding or context - Nobody's business
(He is somewhat ignorant, but not intentionally disrespectful)

White guy with a crew cut who wears one of those Rasta tricolor beanies with fake dreads sticking out the back while smoking a giant spliff at a summer music festival - Nobody's business
(He is making fun at the expense of another's culture)

There, fixed that for you.

It's not your business what someone does with their hair, clothes, etc. If it's bothering you, turn your head or walk away. All this 'cultural appropriation' nonsense is just another way for silly 'triggered' people to use the power of the government to try and control your thoughts and deeds (as evidenced by the linked article about these people trying to get the UN to 'ban' cultural appropriation.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:43 PM

^^^

I agree it shouldn't be a huge issue and to get down to it, its nobodys business just turn your head away. As long as they're not harming anyone (physically and verbally) thats the main thing

Old 06-20-2017, 04:57 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post

It's not your business what someone does with their hair, clothes, etc. If it's bothering you, turn your head or walk away.
Quote:
^^^

I agree it shouldn't be a huge issue and to get down to it, its nobodys business just turn your head away.
Just turn your head and walk away.

There. That solves all your problems.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:59 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,747 times
Where's the "who cares?" option?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World