Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 09:19 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Having gotten to " know " you over our time together

I say you are driven by money. Not everyone is. In Canada, if you are an average working person, then Canada gives you a lot.

All those stats, surveys and measurements that you despise, whether done by a think tank, a magazine or a reputable world organization, rank Canada very highly.

Why? Not because of how many billionaires there are. Not because someone believes that they can make billions in Canada ( although some do ) but because Canada offers a stable, safe society with good public schools, cheaper post secondary education ( than the US ), less income inequality, good social programs, labour laws that mandate holidays, maternity/paternity leave, etc, Universal Healthcare, saner gun laws and a vast land full of variety.
*sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 10:02 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Most of Canada’s population is in fact near the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River. 60% of Canada’s population lives in just 2 provinces - Ontario and Quebec. Almost 25% of Canadians live near Toronto.

Most of the rest of Canada is very sparsely populated until you hit the west coast.
There is still lots of room in Canada in regions that aren't even close to being "tundra".

Southern Ontario is the size of England, for example.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:51 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Canada is grrrreat. It has all the good stuff from the US, but very little of the bad stuff. A friend of mine was an exchange student in Vancouver and said "I move to the most Scandinavian country there is outside Scandinavia (using the Anglophone/Francophone/Hispanophone definition of Scandinavia), so call me a real traveller ".

And when returning he said: "the sun sets earlier in summer, public transport isn't as synchronised, and they eat some odd stuff. Otherwise very familiar."

Old 10-06-2017, 11:33 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
Two days after the Las Vegas Massacre I went shopping at Target. The 19 y/o cashier struck up a conversation regarding this horrible incident. I asked, "How does this make someone your age feel?" Her response: "Honestly, I'm scared of everything around me! There's too much bad stuff going on. That's why I don't ever wanna have children. My BF is from Denmark. I want to learn their language, their culture, and move there."

Old 10-06-2017, 11:45 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I live in America.

I am literally p1ssing in my boots. I have only had two coffees and seen 3 people shot and killed. I think I even got blood splatter in my mouth.

Also, the "reality" TV here is hardly believable. Have I mentioned the tomatoes? flavorless and mealy.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:58 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
As someone who agrees with many of your points, I have to say that this is a poor rebuttal. You keep using average to describe everything. Why would someone come from Western Europe to Canada for an average lifestyle. Average is a step removed from passable and that doesn’t come off as very appealing.

....... < snip > .......

To summarise, while you do have a lot of good points, you need to evaluate your audience. To a highly successful individual, these are largely non consequential issues. If anything, this list makes it seem like Canada is a country tailored to meet the needs of the average joe, since everything is so average.

This list would have been great if aimed at students or refugees.

You have made some good points too but instead of focusing on Nat's comments that were directed at another poster who attempted to make this thread to be all about his own opinions and personal expectations, I think we need to consider and evaluate the expectations of the Original Poster who started this thread. The OP is the relevant audience here.

The OP is not an immigrant from Western Europe and he is not someone with really high expectations nor is he a highly successful individual. He is an average joe living isolated in a very small, non-prosperous average joe community in USA. He is a mature individual approaching retirement age and age-related limitations and is not happy with the lack of opportunities and lack of financial stability where he's at and he's very unhappy with the direction he sees USA heading in. He is looking for another alternative that will give him more peace of mind and better potential for average financial stability and lifestyle opportunities that are not available to him in the dead end rut where he is now. In that sense, all that average joe list of stable, peaceful benefits and securities that Natnasci said Canada has to offer would likely be more than suitable and tailored for the OP's needs.

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-06-2017 at 01:36 PM..

Old 10-06-2017, 01:00 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It seems to me that you are the one started throwing baseless attacks on Canada, then actually have the face to accuse Canadians of being easily offended.
I see a lot of very thin skin here...I did not "attack" anyone (I was not the one that mentioned Canada first...go back and read the thread)...I'm saying that is not an alternative to the US for me....culturally, socially or even economically....or maybe you mean as an alternative for an American to feel more "at home" compared to somewhere else (so it would be Australia)....

Last edited by saturno_v; 10-06-2017 at 01:14 PM..

Old 10-06-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
He has an HUGE issue with Canada, let alone Vancouver. He can't help it.

You are the one that has a big problem when someone does not think that Canada is a paradise on earth...talking about the pot calling the kettle black...

Old 10-06-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm a Canadian and I'm not offended by you saying that Canada is not an alternative to USA. I agree with you that it isn't an alternative and as I posted earlier, there are no other countries that are equivalent to USA, whether they're livable or not. There probably never will be nor should there be any that would want to be equivalent to USA. Every country in the world should look to USA to learn important lessons from both the negative and the positive examples that it has to set, but that is all.
Finally a reasoned well put together argument I actually agree with...miracle!!

....unfortunately was only the first part...

Quote:
What I do take offense to is you being bitter and saying all these often untrue and always mean-spirited things about Canada to put it in a negative light every opportunity you get because YOU couldn't cut the mustard in Canada and couldn't fit in there during your brief sojourn in Canada. You were never in Canada long enough to understand it or to be in a position to speak honestly and knowledgeably about or on behalf of Canada. The sooner you can be honest and accept that about yourself and your lack of knowledge and experience with Canada the better you'll shine and the sooner other people will stop being offended with you.

Please, be specific about my "mean spirited" things I said about Canada...I'm all ears...usually crickets follow....

Old 10-06-2017, 01:07 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,779 times
Canada is great in many aspects BUT....

You can tell the differences when you visit Seattle and Vancouver and make a comparison. Vancouver is a much nicer town than Seattle in term of environment, traffic, crime, people's attitude,......etc.

However, in Vancouver's fast food restaurants, most workers are White who speak fluent English. In Seattle's fast food restaurants, many workers are minorities and some speak broken English.

In Canada, even the locals have hard time to find good jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World