Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in?
Mexico City 11 16.67%
New York City 55 83.33%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 08:28 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseofPlace View Post
Someone posted a picture of Lower Manhattan and a picture of a slum in Mexico City a few pages back. They may not have acted like an "expert", but that definitely shows their knowledge of the two cities that are being discussed.
Actually both those pictures are of Mexico. The fact you're confusing La Reforma in Mexico city with Manhattan is quite telling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 11:18 PM

367 posts, read 409,400 times
Quote:
Someone posted a picture of Lower Manhattan and a picture of a slum in Mexico City a few pages back. They may not have acted like an "expert", but that definitely shows their knowledge of the two cities that are being discussed.
If an opinion is well sourced or they disclose their level of experience, they’re entitled to the hutzpah to express an opinion — even if they’ve never set foot in a city. That’s not the same thing as acting like an expert. If an opinion is misinformed then people should explain why, as has happened with the post you’re referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
I must have hit a nerve because the response was in regards to CD in general. But for this thread, it applies to the folks who believe Mexico City is entirely a slum, or to the above who can bet that a city that can not provide tap water to millions of its residents, has poor sewage, poor internet connectivity, deadly traffic and almost no bodies of water has better infrastructure than New York.

And then you post a few photos you find online of pedestrian streets, which are rare and far between outside of the few in the small historic center and Zona Rosa and think your opinion is almost valid. Give me a break.

NYC has some of the best tap water in the country btw. Glad to see your years of online research about a city you've never been to but completely obsessed with is paying off.
There’s a bit of weasel wording here to make it look as if someone said something they didn’t.

There’s a world of difference between:
‘Disclaimer: I have never been to Mexico City but I wouldn’t be surprised if it has better infrastructure than New York’ and
‘I bet that Mexico City has better infrastructure than New York’

Last edited by MarineBlue; 11-02-2017 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: put two of my posts together

Old 11-02-2017, 11:41 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
Chicagoan: "I visited New York City last weekend and the city smelt like sewer and the roads look like they're from the third world."
To be honest, the infrastructure of NYC has been falling apart. The commuter rail crashes and a looming subway strike (again). At least the Tappan Zee Bridge replacement is almost finished! It looked old and tired but was surprised to find out that it was in worse condition than the Minneapolis bridge from the (NYC-based) national news reports in the aftermath of the disaster.

Quote:
Mexico City is an extremely underrated place, and people need to look beyond their personal bias or what the media has made the place out to be over the last 20 years.
Most American's exposure to Mexico is shaped from the border towns, particularly across from Texas and California. They dare not venture deeper into Mexico based on those first impressions.

Quote:
I took offense to that. That was tantamount to showing the Westside of CDMX and a picture of the WTC collapsing on 9/11.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:49 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
It seems like people here are not differentiating between Mexico City and Ciudad Juarez

Old 11-03-2017, 01:51 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
To be honest, the infrastructure of NYC has been falling apart. The commuter rail crashes and a looming subway strike (again). At least the Tappan Zee Bridge replacement is almost finished! It looked old and tired but was surprised to find out that it was in worse condition than the Minneapolis bridge from the (NYC-based) national news reports in the aftermath of the disaster.
Hopefully we won't see another Summer like the one we just had with all the subway shenanigans.

The problem is that, even though New York is at a lower ebb in terms of its infrastructure than I've seen in a long while, the underlying problems are endemic. Perhaps the local governance there could do with some swamp draining to move things along.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineBlue View Post

Quote:
"or to the above who can bet that a city that can not provide tap water to millions of its residents, has poor sewage, poor internet connectivity, deadly traffic and almost no bodies of water has better infrastructure than New York."
There’s a bit of weasel wording here to make it look as if someone said something they didn’t.

There’s a world of difference between:
‘Disclaimer: I have never been to Mexico City but I wouldn’t be surprised if it has better infrastructure than New York’ and
‘I bet that Mexico City has better infrastructure than New York’
It's best not to read too much into these comments, because they were meant as hyperbole.

If obvious throwaway remarks get under someone's skin, they often have some insecurity issues to deal with.

Still, if diplomats from Gambia are shocked at how third world looking New York City is (their words), I don't see what the beef is with someone who would entertain the idea that there are third world cities with ostensibly better infrastructure than New York.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:11 AM

499 posts, read 793,971 times
There is no looming subway strike. Also in regards to tap water, the vast majority of NYC buildings do not have water towers and I've never heard of this concern in the decades I've been here. Whereas, in DF, travelers are strongly advised not to drink the tap water. Definitely comparable...

And I agree that NYC's public transportation infrastructure is way below par, and so is the entire country's for that matter. Still, looking at all aspects of infrastructure, especially the vital kind, there is no comparison to Mexico City's in scope or quality.

DF's two bright spots are its buses and subway. The buses and their stations are superior to anything I've seen anywhere, and the subway is probably the 2nd best in North America and better maintained than NYC's. That it's surprising that the capital city of the world's 13th largest economy can have nice things only proves your ignorance more. The whole notion of "third world country" is an outdated label propagated by insecure aloof types in the "first world."

I came to this thread to support DF, as my first post here does (so much for your homer argument), and to fend off false misconceptions based on "internet research" and anecdotes that CD posters (like you) routinely spout off like first-hand experience. Maybe we can can crowdfund some plane tickets for you poor saps.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:46 AM

277 posts, read 401,539 times
There are water towers everywhere in New York!

Old 11-03-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
There is no looming subway strike. Also in regards to tap water, the vast majority of NYC buildings do not have water towers and I've never heard of this concern in the decades I've been here. Whereas, in DF, travelers are strongly advised not to drink the tap water. Definitely comparable...

And I agree that NYC's public transportation infrastructure is way below par, and so is the entire country's for that matter. Still, looking at all aspects of infrastructure, especially the vital kind, there is no comparison to Mexico City's in scope or quality.

DF's two bright spots are its buses and subway. The buses and their stations are superior to anything I've seen anywhere, and the subway is probably the 2nd best in North America and better maintained than NYC's. That it's surprising that the capital city of the world's 13th largest economy can have nice things only proves your ignorance more. The whole notion of "third world country" is an outdated label propagated by insecure aloof types in the "first world."

I came to this thread to support DF, as my first post here does (so much for your homer argument), and to fend off false misconceptions based on "internet research" and anecdotes that CD posters (like you) routinely spout off like first-hand experience. Maybe we can can crowdfund some plane tickets for you poor saps.
I had fun reading your rant, but I don't actually see any substantive talking point in it.

You've agreed with me on some points (that New York has better infrastructure overall), you've griped a bit about terminology ("third world" is quoted from the diplomats themselves), jumped to some bizarre conclusions ("I would not drink the tap water in New York", does not imply, "The tap water quality in New York is comparable with Mexico City"). Oh and the bolded part is incoherent.

Yes, it is surprising that a city that struggles with water infrastructure has a transit system of that quality.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:25 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Alright, I just confirmed that Bosque de Chapultepec is actually bigger than Central Park.

According to this source, Central Park covers about 843 acres.

According to this New York Times article, Bosque de Chapultepec covers about 1,655 acres.
At the risk of sounding like I am engaging in oneupmanship, Central Park is not New York City's largest park by a long shot. Pelham Bay Park, at 2,772 acres and 13 miles of coastline is by far the largest park in NYC. Van Cortland Park, just a few miles to the west is another 1,146 acres.

That said, I love parks and the interface of urban environs and nature. If I get to Mexico City someday, you would stand a good chance of finding me in Chapultapec park. I looked up some images on Google and frankly it looks spectacular, not just for its gardens and treescape, but for its architectural components as well. I am a sucker for parks and botanical gardens.

Speaking of which, is Mexico City home to any botanical gardens or arboretums?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World