Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:44 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,439,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Nope, Iran is nearly just as bad as Saudi Arabia. They are both theocracies that function on very similar principles and in many ways are doppelgängers. The big difference is that one is Sunni while the other is Shia.

Let’s look at a few ways in which they are similar. Both countries segregate sexes as much as possible in public spaces. Both enforce strict religious observance. Both engage in mass censorship. Both restrict the consumption of alcohol. Both carry public executions. Both hold the death penalty for homosexuals.

Iran has on a number of occasions intervened globally as well. It supported Bosnian Muslims in the 90’s, it carried out political assassinations, it backed the attack on the Jewish centre in Buenos Aires. It funds Hezbollah.

Why does Iran keep antagonizing Israel? Why does it keep threatening to wipe it off the map?

Iran is about 90-95% as bad as SA. The only thing I agree with is that the West should stop supporting SA, but that doesn’t make Iran moderate. There is only one moderate country in the ME as this stage and that Israel (perhaps Turkey).
This is very false, women in Iran go to college in higher numbers than men, they can drive, run for elected office, and serve in government. They do not need male supervision when walking in public and there is no forced Burqas on women.

Iran opposes Israel because they are constantly trying to get the US to invade them. Public excecutions were banned in 2008 and they don’t chop off heads with swords like the Saudis.
And did you forget to mention Jews and Christians hold public office in Iran unlike your best friend SA?

Lastly the US and SA fund WAY more terrorists organizations than Iran does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I recently had the pleasure to talk with a woman who was of Egyptian heritage who grew up in the west. She was in her 70s and worked in various countries for the US government. Her last assignment was working in Baghdad in 2005 and it was her job to assess the "civil disposition" of Iraqi society. She actually spent time with Iraqi citizens assessing how they felt out in the street. She told me Iran and Shias are for the most part worse than the Saudis when it comes to rule. She also said that every country over there is incredibly corrupt.
You do no Iraqis with the Support of the Regean administration invaded and gases Iran (the US government loved it and hoped Saddam would succeed.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:10 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,501,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
This is very false, women in Iran go to college in higher numbers than men, they can drive, run for elected office, and serve in government. They do not need male supervision when walking in public and there is no forced Burqas on women.

Iran opposes Israel because they are constantly trying to get the US to invade them. Public excecutions were banned in 2008 and they don’t chop off heads with swords like the Saudis.
And did you forget to mention Jews and Christians hold public office in Iran unlike your best friend SA?

SA my best friend? lol
Did you miss the part about me saying “nearly just as bad as Saudi Arabia”?

Women can go to college in Iran, but that’s hardly a measure of progress in this day and age. Most of the positions held by women hold no real power. It is still very much a patriarchal society, though I don’t solemnly fault Iran for it, as many countries still function along those lines. Need I remind you of the recent uproar over the notion of women taking part in a marathon as well as attending soccer matches.

Iran only comes off as socially liberal next to a country like SA, but it performs poorly next to most countries. Most of the other Gulf States have all these things you mentioned as well women in education, office...) but we both know that they hold little power. That is slowly changing, which is a good thing, but they’ve got a long way to go.

The thing that changes things quite a bit is the Iranian mentality. Most of the Persians I’ve met in the diaspora were a lot more progressive than their Arab counterparts, which is in part due to Iran’s long history that predates the arrival of Islam. A number of Iranians view Islam as an invasive religion to their region, so there is a certain degree of resentment vis-a-vis that religion.

Your last sentence is an oxymoron. By saying more than SA, you conced that Iran does in fact support terrorism as well. Here’s the thing, most countries in the world support it in some capacity. The difference between the two comes from the factions they back since they are on opposing ends. One is Sunni the other is Shia.

Iran is a little better than SA, but hardly the moderate country it’s made out to be by those who criticise western support of the gulf states.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:17 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,501,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I recently had the pleasure to talk with a woman who was of Egyptian heritage who grew up in the west. She was in her 70s and worked in various countries for the US government. Her last assignment was working in Baghdad in 2005 and it was her job to assess the "civil disposition" of Iraqi society. She actually spent time with Iraqi citizens assessing how they felt out in the street. She told me Iran and Shias are for the most part worse than the Saudis when it comes to rule. She also said that every country over there is incredibly corrupt.
I think that has a lot to do with religion. Sunni’s and Shia’s have been at odds with one another for well over a thousand years. Depending on who she interrogated she would likely be getting different results. I’m pretty sure if one were to ask Shia’s who they prefer they would mention Iran.

To be fair, if I had to pick one of the two countries to live in it would be Iran, as they are a bit better than Saudi, but hardly an exemplary country when it comes to modernism.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:27 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:

Oh really?
Then what can you tell me about these creepy images coming from Iran?

https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/...220407_afp.jpg

http://www.islamedianalysis.info/wp-...d9f5baea30.jpg

http://static1.businessinsider.com/i...ights-apps.jpg

http://www.ashena.com/thumbnail.php?...article_medium

Old 11-08-2017, 07:56 PM

None of these images goes against what I said.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:18 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
None of these images goes against what I said.
Yet you refuse to comment on them?

Old 11-09-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yet you refuse to comment on them?
what's there to comment on.

The rusari is by law required for women to ware.

No look at SA where the full burqa is required, girls don't go to college, can't go out on there own, and are stoned to death for adultery and are punished FOR being raped.

how is any of that comparable?

Old 11-09-2017, 09:05 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
How?
The same as the Founding Fathers in the US were liberals. Both were going against the monarchy, both were in pursuit of change for allowing more freedom for the people. I would think you of all people on this forum would have more knowledge about Stalin and his roots. He did not just pop-up over night and become a dictator, he was part of the liberal/progressive movement along with Lenin and many others against the tyrannical authority of the tsar. It was only after they achieved power did they start the path towards totalitarianism.

I just made the "so was Stalin" post as a view that just because someone seems liberal or progressive and they are, does not mean it will translate into good of the people. This Saudi crown prince is not speaking of democracy or anything, and no one exactly knows what is his motive, he could turn the place into a more stringent dictatorship for all we know. Oh yea, he is going to allow women to drive, hell the USSR brought on a lot of equality for women also that they lacked under the tsar.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:18 AM

400 posts, read 293,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

I just made the "so was Stalin" post as a view that just because someone seems liberal or progressive and they are, does not mean it will translate into good of the people. This Saudi crown prince is not speaking of democracy or anything, and no one exactly knows what is his motive, he could turn the place into a more stringent dictatorship for all we know. Oh yea, he is going to allow women to drive, hell the USSR brought on a lot of equality for women also that they lacked under the tsar.
I agree. I really don’t buy this whole progressive prince fighting with extremists for womens rights stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World