Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 02:46 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,024,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

It’s an American forum so obviously English speaking new continents will be preferred. People elsewhere might have different preferences.
True. But don't forget the whole "Scandinavians = gods...because they have healthcare" thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 03:55 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaplundo View Post

If someone doesn't value genuine urbanity but wants good food, coffee culture and easy access to outdoor activities, I think Australia would probably be the best.

I value urbanity most so Australia is too boring.
I am 100% with you.

With respect to "good food, coffee culture and easy access to outdoors", many parts of Austria, Italy and south France also fits the bill. I am literally looking at the Alps right now as I type. A good hike in the mountains is only 15 minutes drive away (or a bit longer by bus).

Old 12-11-2017, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
True. But don't forget the whole "Scandinavians = gods...because they have healthcare" thing.
yeah, it is an urban legend. I'd rather live in France, Italy than those cold small countries.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:43 AM

Not sure why you put California that high. The Bay area for example is notorious for high cost of living, especially rent, to the extent some people with jobs live in tents. Yes, the area has a lot of high paying jobs, but it is still the average jobs that pay $50-90k a year that's the majority and a lot of people are struggling.

Facts: Median household income is $78,000, while a one bedroom apartment can easily go $3000 a month. And we all know SF is not Paris, London or NYC. It is more like Madrid or Milan.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:25 PM

2,302 posts, read 1,524,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am 100% with you.

With respect to "good food, coffee culture and easy access to outdoors", many parts of Austria, Italy and south France also fits the bill. I am literally looking at the Alps right now as I type. A good hike in the mountains is only 15 minutes drive away (or a bit longer by bus).
I am literally looking over the water to Royal National Park. Half an hour by ferry. But we are part of Sydney.
Yes, decent mountains we do not have. Fortunately most of us have the income to travel to experience those of other countries. New Zealand is particularly accessible for us.
We do have universal health care. As do most developed countries, not just Scandinavia.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:30 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,499,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonex View Post
UK, Germany, France ?

Those are all great countries in their own respect.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:20 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,186 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:
Yes but they aren't the best to live, specially the UK.

What's good about the UK really? Wages are low compared to most of western Europe, working conditions are lower as well, the climate is very awful, nightlife is mostly based in extreme drunkness levels and houses are expensive, specially if you want to rent one. Unless if you're a cosmopolitan rich guy dreaming with London, I don't see why you wouldn't live elsewhere if you are choosing a country to live in.
Not Irene back again.

In terms of housing the most expensive area is London and the South East, however it's no more expensive than Paris, New York, San Francisco/Bay area etc.

There are plenty of cultural things to do in the UK and the nightlife is as diverse as anywhere else, whilst binge drinking is on the decline, whilst casual dining is on the rise.

Rise of teetotalism: almost half of Brits shun regular drinking - Telegraph

The strange death of boozy Britain: why are young people drinking less? - New Statesman

Binge-drinking continues to fall in young adults - BBC News

As for the weather, it's no worse than many other parts of Europe or parts of the US and Canada which get much more extreme weather, and that includes NYC. The UK's weather is merely mild winters and cool summers, which is hardly the worst or most extreme form of weather.

As for wages, they are higher in London and in major cities reflecting the number of professionals employed in a diversity of areas from finance to law to advertising to techs to medicine etc etc.

There is also a minimum wage/living wage in the UK, as well as guaranteed holidays (28 days per year for full time workers and on a similar scale for part time workers) and numerous worker protection.

The fact that companies like Uber have run in to trouble in the UK is partly due to the UK Courts ruling that their workers have 'rights' which they don't have in many other parts of Europe or indeed the world.

Uber loses appeal over landmark employment rights ruling - Sky News

Rights at work UK - Citizens Advice

Last edited by Brave New World; 12-13-2017 at 11:16 AM..

Old 12-13-2017, 03:48 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:

What's good about the UK really? Wages are low compared to most of western Europe, working conditions are lower as well, the climate is very awful, nightlife is mostly based in extreme drunkness levels and houses are expensive, specially if you want to rent one. Unless if you're a cosmopolitan rich guy dreaming with London, I don't see why you wouldn't live elsewhere if you are choosing a country to live in.
There is nothing you say there based in reality! You just have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to the UK that much is obvious! Has an ex of yours run off with an English man/woman in the past by any chance?

Old 12-13-2017, 04:42 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,332,195 times
Quote:

I've been to Northern Ireland, and yeah, it's not a place where I'd choose to live. Crappy wages compared to other first world countries, expensive, awful climate, awful food, etc

If you don't mind the poor wages, Czechia and Slovenia both seem really nice. Like Portugal but cheaper and on the rise. Czechia and Slovenia are trending upwards, whereas Southern Europe is trending downwards

Old 12-13-2017, 05:01 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
What about Chile, Argentina, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, South Korea, Netherlands, Denmark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World