Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 04:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I am glad someone agrees with me! Australia is as close to paradise on Earth as you can get. The distance and isolation are actually a bonus to me
It's the same distance to go from Vancouver to Beijing vs Sydney to Beijing.
(easy 2 week vacation)

plus European cities are 9 to 10 hours. compared to a whole day of flying from Australia.
(easy week vacation)

American cities are right there, compared to a 20 hour flight from Australia.
(easy weekend vacations.)

I guess if you only plan on traveling in Australia and New Zealand it would be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 04:34 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,795,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Why ain't Canada on the list? I would pick Canada ahead of the USA.
No way, US is the best place to live in the world bar none. Why?

-Freedom(Freedom of speech, freedom to bear arms, privacy and private property rights)
-Most expendable income in combination with low cost of living(never mentioned but huge factor in quality of life)
-OPTIONS(if you want a more socialized environment you can live in California or New York, if you want more individualized you can live in Texas or Florida)
-Defense(no one in their right mind would ever attack our mainland)

Last edited by cttransplant85; 01-10-2018 at 04:43 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post

-Freedom(Freedom of speech, freedom to bear arms, privacy and private property rights)
-Most expendable income in combination with low cost of living(never mentioned but huge factor in quality of life)
-OPTIONS(if you want a more socialized environment you can live in California or New York, if you want more individualized you can live in Texas or Florida)
The country itself is beautiful, so much to do and see all in one country.... state rights allow a whole different lifestyle between different states.

Culture/politics turns many people away from the U.S.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:01 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muevelos View Post
Out of like 100 people that say they want to actually move to Canada, like 1 actually will. Even when everyone said that during the election process, very few actually did. It doesn't seem that desirable from what I have heard from people. It's not for everyone but maybe your that 1.
Not because they don't want to, but because we just don't take anybody.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post

You do know that the rest of the free world is laughing at your post right now.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:13 PM

2,302 posts, read 1,524,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Is it hard with the long flights every time you want to leave Australia? i have been highly considering moving there and plan on applying for he work/holiday visa but the only things holding me back are being away from family and being so isolated... 20 hour flights away from home. just going to SE Asia is 10 - 15 hours flying
Well one thing is that the majority of Australians live in the capital cities so you often do not have to worry about connecting flights. We live half an hour from the airport. We tend to have no problems with flights up to about nine or ten hours and if we are going to Europe of eastern US we will have a two night stop over to break up the flight. The quality of the Asian and middle Eastern airlines that we mainly use is the highest available so it is not like having 24 hours on Ryan Air!!

Daughters in London were living such a different life there that it is really hard to compare. They came home, as did all their friends, to bring up their families. They miss being able to go to Europe for the weekend but realise that you would not do that so much with little children.

I am quite happy if people think the US is the best country though I do not believe there is such a thing as a best country. Some things are cheaper there but it evens out. We do not really have to save for retirement for a basic lifestyle, as an example. Most of us have no desire for more lenient gun laws. Each western developed country is probably the best for most of its citizens.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:14 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Quote:
It's the same distance to go from Vancouver to Beijing vs Sydney to Beijing.
(easy 2 week vacation)

plus European cities are 9 to 10 hours. compared to a whole day of flying from Australia.
(easy week vacation)

American cities are right there, compared to a 20 hour flight from Australia.
(easy weekend vacations.)

I guess if you only plan on traveling in Australia and New Zealand it would be good.
Yes if I lived in Australia, I would never want to leave as I would feel I had everything I would want there.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:32 PM

570 posts, read 509,327 times
Quote:
Is it hard with the long flights every time you want to leave Australia? i have been highly considering moving there and plan on applying for he work/holiday visa but the only things holding me back are being away from family and being so isolated... 20 hour flights away from home. just going to SE Asia is 10 - 15 hours flying
I understand but I actually love how far things are from this country haha, so I have an excuse to discover more places. For example, when I was in Canada, I stopped in California and Hawaii on my way back to Australia. The country is too far that we have the opportunity to do layovers in fascinating places. Also, don't forget that Asia is next door and you can get cheap flights to places such as Thailand, Singapore, etc (average price for a return ticket is $250 USD)

Old 01-10-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
I understand but I actually love how far things are from this country haha, so I have an excuse to discover more places. For example, when I was in Canada, I stopped in California and Hawaii on my way back to Australia. The country is too far that we have the opportunity to do layovers in fascinating places. Also, don't forget that Asia is next door and you can get cheap flights to places such as Thailand, Singapore, etc (average price for a return ticket is $250 USD)
I'm sure long flights are just a way of life for many Aussies, with all the vacation days its not too hard im sure to just take a couple 2 week vacations back home a year.... layovers stress me out when i leave the airport i hate having to worrying about what time i should be back at the airport so i tend to just sleep on the floor somewhere or people watch for hours.... Australia does seem more close to "exotic locations" so that's nice, Europe gets so overrated that vacations to China, India and SE Asia seem awesome.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:51 PM

2,302 posts, read 1,524,778 times
Quote:
I'm sure long flights are just a way of life for many Aussies, with all the vacation days its not too hard im sure to just take a couple 2 week vacations back home a year.... layovers stress me out when i leave the airport i hate having to worrying about what time i should be back at the airport so i tend to just sleep on the floor somewhere or people watch for hours.... Australia does seem more close to "exotic locations" so that's nice, Europe gets so overrated that vacations to China, India and SE Asia seem awesome.
Well we make our stop overs two or three nights so that they are relaxing. We often stop in Singapore or Hong Kong or Dubai and they are such efficient places that they last thing you worry about is getting back to the airport on time.

When I was a child people used to mainly get ships to Europe as flying was really expensive. Then in the 1970s flying took over but again it was so expensive that you would think in terms of a once in a lifetime trip to Europe or the US.

Then flights became cheaper and many of our friends would think in terms of an annual overseas holiday. Now they are just so cheap that those of us who like travelling are often going a few times a year.

We are very fortunate to be able to do so, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World