Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2018, 01:09 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,334,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
No, But I don't see the opposite as being true either.
A peaceful country where people don´t have to carry guns is not a great country, is that what you are saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 02:23 PM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
And as the US has suffered a lot of mass-shootings, I find it highly unlikely that it wouldn't have affected the subconsciousness of the populace.
Mass shootings are disturbing when they happen. But you have to keep in mind that the U.S. is a country of 320 million people. 99.99% of that population is never going to commit anything like a mass shooting.

Mass shootings are usually committed by mentally deranged or disturbed individuals. So, the chance that any one person will become a victim of a mass shooting is quite low. The threat "on the ground" feels about as real as Kim Jong Un sending a nuclear weapon hurling towards your city.

Nonetheless, it is a national concern and we would of course prefer to never have mass shootings.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:37 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
A peaceful country where people don´t have to carry guns is not a great country, is that what you are saying?
Americans don't have to carry guns.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:53 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Mass shootings are disturbing when they happen. But you have to keep in mind that the U.S. is a country of 320 million people. 99.99% of that population is never going to commit anything like a mass shooting.

Mass shootings are usually committed by mentally deranged or disturbed individuals. So, the chance that any one person will become a victim of a mass shooting is quite low. The threat "on the ground" feels about as real as Kim Jong Un sending a nuclear weapon hurling towards your city.

Nonetheless, it is a national concern and we would of course prefer to never have mass shootings.

It's not my point that the fear would be realistic in any way, but I think it affects the psyche of the population. Just like the chance of dying in a terrorist attack in Europe is even more minimal, but people seriously ask these days on C-D if it's safe to travel to Europe. The fear is irrational, but it still is there.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:44 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Americans don't have to carry guns.
Exactly.....no one is forced to carry guns in the US....

Old 01-14-2018, 05:48 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times
It is interesting (and understandable) that people that have the most misconceptions about guns in America are people not living in the country....

Old 01-14-2018, 06:24 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
We should not have guns. We do not need guns. It must be a paranoid society when citizens fantasize that they need to walk around with a gun or keep a gun in their own home. The rest of us have the right to be free of those who own guns.

I am not fearful of guns where I live because we have strict laws against them but I will not travel to the south of this country. That's where the gun nuts seem to live. They'll be happy that I'm not there too. and that's what this country has come to. No one seems to agree on anything anymore in what used to be the USA.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:43 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,499,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
So you think oppressive governments are a thing of the past?? It can never happen again?? LOL
How exactly are guns supposed to counter an oppressive government? Remember that the second amendment was written in the late 18th century when guns were quite different than they are today.

Nowadays every government has tanks, fighter jets, RPG's, drones.... Not exactly the most basic form of weaponry.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:50 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:

By the way, you know that private citizens can legally own artillery in the US right?? Yes, technically is possible.

So If Joe Blow can afford to buy a M1 Abrams Battle tank they should just be able to mosey on by to General Dynamics Land Systems and buy one for their 'personal use' and 'protection'? My god where does it end.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:55 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,499,914 times
Quote:
Governments had cannons, artillery, rockets and battleships back then too (early machine guns design pre-date the US constitution, contrary the the laughable notion that the 2nd amendment was for "muskets")......destructive devices are not very effective for "granular", effective population control....

By the way, you know that private citizens can legally own artillery in the US right?? Yes, technically is possible.

The notion that the 2nd amendment is "antiquated" is as misleading as the one that try to equate legal gun ownership with crime.
I agree with the last part. There's a lot more to crime than gun ownership.

Nevertheless, if guns are meant to be a deterrent to crime, then why have they seldomly worked as advertised? We often here how more guns are bound to reduce crime/murders, yet the US leads the charge there amongst developed countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World