Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 06:27 AM

43,691 posts, read 44,435,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I disagree. New York City is unique and it gives an excellent impression of the United States.

It symbolizes the ambition, opportunity and wealth of this nation like no other city does.
NYC gives a tourist a unique and perhaps a great impression of a big city but it is not representative of life in the USA meaning if that is all a foreign tourist sees than they don't get a real impression of American life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 01:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
It's the same for just about any country. I've heard " experts " on Canada, when all they've been to is Toronto.
Human nature is to label things.

London, UK is definitely does not represent all of the UK. Same with Paris, Athens, Sydney, or LA and NYC.

The country doesn't even have to be a large one. Small ones like The Netherlands, get this as well. People go to just Amsterdam, when the rest of the country offers a different view.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:07 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
NYC and LA aren't even the best representations of their respective states, nevermind the USA as a whole. Most of California is nothing like LA even though people tend to use the LA stereotype for CA. Likewise, New York State bares little resemblance to New York City in any way. There's no way anyone visiting these two cities have any idea about places like Cheyenne Wyoming, Des Moines Iowa, Lake Charles Louisiana, Booneville Missouri, Salem Oregon, or Worcester Massachusetts, places tourist don't go. It is places like that which make up the majority of the USA.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:17 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
NYC and LA aren't even the best representations of their respective states, nevermind the USA as a whole. Most of California is nothing like LA even though people tend to use the LA stereotype for CA. Likewise, New York State bares little resemblance to New York City in any way. There's no way anyone visiting these two cities have any idea about places like Cheyenne Wyoming, Des Moines Iowa, Lake Charles Louisiana, Booneville Missouri, Salem Oregon, or Worcester Massachusetts, places tourist don't go. It is places like that which make up the majority of the USA.
In fact I'd venture to say some of the BEST parts of California are definitely not in LA. NYC....lots of nice places out of NYC...but NYC...is...well NYC !!

Old 10-23-2018, 07:31 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In fact I'd venture to say some of the BEST parts of California are definitely not in LA. NYC....lots of nice places out of NYC...but NYC...is...well NYC !!
Agree on both points. NYC is definitely one of a kind and nothing near it or anywhere else bares much resemblance to it. I also agree that the nicest parts of California are not in LA at all.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:06 PM

630 posts, read 526,859 times
The problem is that in spite of being all over the place in the media LA is very misrepresented. People from abroad believe they will a city like what they saw on "Baywatch", they do not expect the dominating Hispanic flavor of the city.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:51 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,521,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
My Danish wife is partial to mountains and Brooklyn. We are pretty much done with Manhattan.
You need to visit the rest of the state..........beautiful mountains, rivers, and lakes.......lots of greenery....but not during the winter........

Old 10-24-2018, 10:23 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,339,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah, I feel similarly. To me, US cities are not exceptional because we don't have the beautiful old architecture of Europe,
That´s not really true.
The US has some great examples of neoclassical architecture. The US also has great modern architecture.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:35 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
A lot of first time visitors are not going to NYC or LA first. Many who come to the west coast do a sort of west coast tour where they land in Seattle first then head down toward San Francisco, then LA and maybe San Diego. Some do this starting in San Diego and go north. As Brave New World points out, Wine Country is huge with international tourist as are national parks such as Yosemite and Yellowstone.
For a lot of foreign visitors I assume their first or even only taste of the U.S. might be Orlando or Vegas too.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:36 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
And no, NYC at least does not give foreigners a "bad impression" of the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World