Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 06:36 AM

587 posts, read 424,372 times

Advertisements

It is a pity that 1st time overseas visitors to the US tend to get their "Impression" of the USA based solely on their (likely) visit of NYC or LA- 2 of the most one-of-a-kind cities of the country

There are countries such as the UK and France that I believe visiting the main city (in this case London & Paris) of their respective country WOULD give visitors "a solid" impression of the "overall country"

But visiting just the main city of countries such as US- you will NOT get a well-rounded perspective just by 1 city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 06:44 AM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
I disagree. New York City is unique and it gives an excellent impression of the United States.

It symbolizes the ambition, opportunity and wealth of this nation like no other city does.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:53 AM

27,199 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
It is a pity that 1st time overseas visitors to the US tend to get their "Impression" of the USA based solely on their (likely) visit of NYC or LA- 2 of the most one-of-a-kind cities of the country

There are countries such as the UK and France that I believe visiting the main city (in this case London & Paris) of their respective country WOULD give visitors "a solid" impression of the "overall country"

But visiting just the main city of countries such as US- you will NOT get a well-rounded perspective just by 1 city.
I wouldn't say that most city gives a good representation of the rural beauty of any country, and London is very different to the regional cities and other parts of the UK, just as Paris is very different to France's many beautiful regions and the South of France.

In terms of the US, many British tourists go to Florida and New England rather than just NYC or California.

As for NYC it's onme of the worlds great cities and many people go there to shop and for the entertainment, and it's a good point of entry in to the US.

As for California a lot of tourists are increasingly looking beyond the cities, indeed wine tourism is booming, and Napa Valley where 'Sideways' was fimed, is one of the great centres of wine production and a great touirist location, and California has a great coastline and national parks.

Why wine tourism is booming in 2018 – and the best destinations to visit - The Telegraph

Old 10-22-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I disagree. New York City is unique and it gives an excellent impression of the United States.
NYC does show hallmark aspects of American ways but not give visitors a "well rounded" perspective/ impression of the USA because no other city in America feels like NYC

Old 10-22-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I wouldn't say that most city gives a good representation of the rural beauty of any country, and London is very different to the regional cities and other parts of the UK, just as Paris is very different to France's many beautiful regions and the South of France.

In terms of the US, many British tourists go to Florida and New England rather than just NYC or California.

As for California a lot of tourists are increasingly looking beyond the cities, indeed wine tourism is booming,

In my case I have traveled many times to the UK and yes the countryside and secondary cities are different from London, but London does provide a more well rounded feeling of "Overall UK" than NYC does to the US imo because the US as a country is much larger and more diverse than UK, and by and large London is THE only truly notable big city in the UK

Unlikely 1st time visitors to the US would go to New England or only "wine country"

Old 10-22-2018, 07:47 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
Quote:
In my case I have traveled many times to the UK and yes the countryside and secondary cities are different from London, but London does provide a more well rounded feeling of "Overall UK" than NYC does to the US imo because the US as a country is much larger and more diverse than UK, and by and large London is THE only truly notable big city in the UK

Unlikely 1st time visitors to the US would go to New England or only "wine country"
A lot of first time visitors are not going to NYC or LA first. Many who come to the west coast do a sort of west coast tour where they land in Seattle first then head down toward San Francisco, then LA and maybe San Diego. Some do this starting in San Diego and go north. As Brave New World points out, Wine Country is huge with international tourist as are national parks such as Yosemite and Yellowstone.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
A lot of first time visitors are not going to NYC or LA first. Many who come to the west coast do a sort of west coast tour where they land in Seattle first then head down toward San Francisco, then LA and maybe San Diego. Some do this starting in San Diego and go north. As Brave New World points out, Wine Country is huge with international tourist as are national parks such as Yosemite and Yellowstone.
The majority go to NYC or LA as a 1st trip

Miami maybe but does not have the scope of internationally diverse travelers as the other 2 (it appeals to more Latin markets)

Old 10-22-2018, 08:13 AM

27,199 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:

NYC is the biggest tourist attraction for the British, as it's on the east coast and the flights are far shorter than California, however the second most popular destination in terms of the British is Florida (by a long way) and not California. Las Vegas is also a popular destination for those who gamble or like the entertainment available and as already pointed out places like the Napa Valley and new touriost experiences are growing rapidly.

In terms of the UK, I think there is a big cultural difference between even North and South of England, and then you have Wales, Scotland and NI, and there are a few large cities in the UK although not on the scake of London.

Furthermore London is often a gateway in to Europe rather than the UK, with many tourists spending time in London before taking the Eurostar train to Paris or flying to other parts of Europe, indeed the rest of the UK is often sadly ignored by many tourists.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:23 AM

510 posts, read 610,375 times
Quote:

So basically you are saying it's a pity that foreigners think they can get a well-rounded view of the US by visiting our biggest/most popular cities, but you think the exact same thing about other countries.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:07 AM

8,869 posts, read 8,454,383 times
Quote:
I don't think London and Paris give visitors a solid impression of the overall country at all. Especially not Paris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World