Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 03:55 PM

5,123 posts, read 2,175,466 times

Advertisements

Really depends on what area of the world you are talking about. Big difference between a big country like America and Europe where you can hop on a train and see several within a small period of time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 05:00 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,609,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Most people: ∞/∞+(∞-∞)

On a side note, I use to enjoy Mexico, but it's a cesspool of dangerous crime activity now. Canada is not very exciting and feels like our 51st state regardless of where you go. The only other country I've really enjoyed is Germany, and they mucked that up by letting the East Germans invade and ruin everything including their own economy.
There are plenty of safe, vibrant places in Mexico for anyone from seasoned travelers to families on vacation to enjoy. Just as there are areas in the USA where it’s not advised to set foot, sure there are dangerous areas of Mexico but that is certainly not true of the whole country.

Germany has the strongest economy in the EU, and some of the best workers rights and individual economic stability in the world. How exactly is their economy ruined?

Old 02-24-2020, 05:16 PM

8,875 posts, read 8,479,268 times

Old 02-24-2020, 05:48 PM

4,098 posts, read 3,743,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Most people in the world don't have the financial means or opportunity or any reason to travel even as far as the next country. The comparatively wealthy people of Europe and North America travel, sure. The majority of people in Africa, Asia, and South America...no way. Think of the billion people in China. Under 10% have passports. Of the billion in India, about 7%.
Perhaps the sheer population of India and Africa brings that number down but China has experienced huge growth as a source tourist country for a while now. 140 million Chinese travel internationally each year, that means that in 10 years the "whole population" of China would've travelled.

I'm also convinced over half of South America has visited at least one neighbouring country. Brazil probably being the one country that would bring that statistic down due to its size and the remoteness of Northern Brazil. I don't know the 1st Colombian that hasn't been to at least Venezuela, Ecuador or Panama.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:50 PM

8,524 posts, read 6,943,162 times
Just 1 their home countries. Even here in the US I know people who have never left their home state.

Old 02-24-2020, 06:06 PM

61,949 posts, read 87,574,290 times
Quote:
Most people in the world don't have the financial means or opportunity or any reason to travel even as far as the next country. The comparatively wealthy people of Europe and North America travel, sure. The majority of people in Africa, Asia, and South America...no way. Think of the billion people in China. Under 10% have passports. Of the billion in India, about 7%.
Such a misconception! You don't need to be wealthy to travel, except one can only imagine luxury trips.
And surely you don't have to be wealthy to travel in Europe where the ground and air transportation are dirt cheap. One just needs to want to sacrifice some of their precious time instead working 24/7, and focusing on making money.
From all developed countries in the world, only Americans rather work than take vacation or have no vacation.
Lots and lots of people from Asia (Chinese and Indian especially) travel the world, but I guess, people who don't travel have no clue about those who do.
Poor people in Africa probably travel the least, but what do we know about them visiting neighborhood countries - if not for tourism, perhaps just to visit family?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/c...inese-tourist/
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/...vel-to-the-us/

Old 02-24-2020, 06:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,547,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I'm guessing worldwide, most would say 1.
I agree. It’s amazing to learn how many people have never even been out of their state. I have only been to 3 countries, but 46 states and 4 Canadian Provinces.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:30 PM

14,390 posts, read 11,802,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Such a misconception! You don't need to be wealthy to travel, except one can only imagine luxury trips.
And surely you don't have to be wealthy to travel in Europe where the ground and air transportation are dirt cheap. One just needs to want to sacrifice some of their precious time instead working 24/7, and focusing on making money.
From all developed countries in the world, only Americans rather work than take vacation or have no vacation.
Lots and lots of people from Asia (Chinese and Indian especially) travel the world, but I guess, people who don't travel have no clue about those who do.
Poor people in Africa probably travel the least, but what do we know about them visiting neighborhood countries - if not for tourism, perhaps just to visit family?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/c...inese-tourist/
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/...vel-to-the-us/
We are not contrasting Europe and the US, although Europeans love to trot out the old cliches about how they prioritize leisure and travel, while Americans live to work and have no clue about, well, anything. The question was about the average person in the world. People living in developed countries are not average; they are only about 30% of the world's population. And yes, Europeans and North Americans are as a whole comparatively wealthy. Very much so.

"Lots and lots" of Chinese and Indians travel the world, sure...but less than 10% of the total populations have passports. As someone else pointed out, 10% of Chinese and Indians still adds up to lots and lots of people, but that leaves 90% of 2.3 billion people that have not left those home countries. You don't have figures for other Asian countries or Africa and neither do I, but I'm virtually positive that more than 50% of all people in the world have not traveled internationally.

Last edited by saibot; 02-24-2020 at 07:57 PM..

Old 02-25-2020, 12:25 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,516,086 times
Quote:
We are not contrasting Europe and the US, although Europeans love to trot out the old cliches about how they prioritize leisure and travel, while Americans live to work and have no clue about, well, anything. The question was about the average person in the world. People living in developed countries are not average; they are only about 30% of the world's population. And yes, Europeans and North Americans are as a whole comparatively wealthy. Very much so.

"Lots and lots" of Chinese and Indians travel the world, sure...but less than 10% of the total populations have passports. As someone else pointed out, 10% of Chinese and Indians still adds up to lots and lots of people, but that leaves 90% of 2.3 billion people that have not left those home countries. You don't have figures for other Asian countries or Africa and neither do I, but I'm virtually positive that more than 50% of all people in the world have not traveled internationally.
That's the best way to put it. While there certainly are a lot of Chinese and Indian abroad; as a percentage of the total population it's fairly minimal.
If we take the top 3 countries we get:
China: 1.3 billion where only 10% have passports
India: 1.3 billion @ 7%
US: 320 million @ 30-40%

I would also wager that in the other population behemoths of Brazil, Indonesia, Pakistan and Bangladesh the situation is fairly similar.

In all of them less than 50% have the means to travel. I think it's fair to say that over half of the global populace has never been abroad.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:25 AM

27,355 posts, read 13,605,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Just 1 their home countries. Even here in the US I know people who have never left their home state.

Exactly - it depends on where you live and how accesible other countries are, as well as the size of your country and can also depend on your personal wealth and number of days payed holidays.

For instance, in Europe which is a patchwork quilt of countries, you would expect more people to have visited another country than some other parts of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World