Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 08:23 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,176 posts, read 13,461,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Their population is also heavily concentrated in the SE which is a hop, skip and a jump away from France.
The vst majority of Brits have visited more than 10 countries, I think the average is 12 countries.

So it's not just France and Spain, the British tend to visit lots of different countries and travelling to Asia, South America, Australia etc is common anomg gap year back packing students in the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 08:48 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,372,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The vst majority of Brits have visited more than 10 countries, I think the average is 12 countries.

So it's not just France and Spain, the British tend to visit lots of different countries and travelling to Asia, South America, Australia etc is common anomg gap year back packing students in the UK.
The Sun’s article you posted says 9.58 per capita according to YouGov, this figure looks a bit more reliable than Agoda’s IMO. Still likely one of the biggest in the world, only possibly challenged by other European countries (i.e. Luxembourg). Anyway, I’m not sure if all ages are represented, as children for instance would obviously pull down the numbers.

Yet the bulk of the international destinations are made up by nearby countries, as expected. There are about 27 countries within a 1500 km radius from London… but just Canada and the USA if the same circle is drawn around Toronto. This explains a lot.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:23 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
The Sun’s article you posted says 9.58 per capita according to YouGov, this figure looks a bit more reliable than Agoda’s IMO. Still likely one of the biggest in the world, only possibly challenged by other European countries (i.e. Luxembourg). Anyway, I’m not sure if all ages are represented, as children for instance would obviously pull down the numbers.

Yet the bulk of the international destinations are made up by nearby countries, as expected. There are about 27 countries within a 1500 km radius from London… but just Canada and the USA if the same circle is drawn around Toronto. This explains a lot.
I wonder if there’s a site that compiles the stats for each country. Maybe we can start posting recent stats for countries that do have such with a link and that can at least get a lower bound. Just getting stats for India and China alone would go a long way towards setting a lower bound.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:04 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
I agree it also has a lot to do with how big of a country you were born into and also if you live near a border area. For example, a poor person who lives in Buffalo, NY is much more likely to have visited Canada than a poor person in Arkansas. I think this also applies to the developing world too. A person who lives in Kinshasa D.R. Congo is much more likely to visit Brazzaville in the Republic of Congo than someone who lives in Kisangani.

It's also likely to find a much higher percentage of international travel in small countries like Luxembourg and Eswatini than in larger countries like Brazil and India.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:15 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,176 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post

YouGov is a British international Internet-based market research and data analytics firm and is no more credible than Agoda.

Furthermore the 4th most visited country by Britons is not European it's the USA.

The British love the USA and Canada.

Australia and New Zealand are a long way way, otherwise they would be up there with the USA.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-26-2020 at 11:29 AM..

Old 02-26-2020, 02:34 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I agree it also has a lot to do with how big of a country you were born into and also if you live near a border area. For example, a poor person who lives in Buffalo, NY is much more likely to have visited Canada than a poor person in Arkansas. I think this also applies to the developing world too. A person who lives in Kinshasa D.R. Congo is much more likely to visit Brazzaville in the Republic of Congo than someone who lives in Kisangani.

It's also likely to find a much higher percentage of international travel in small countries like Luxembourg and Eswatini than in larger countries like Brazil and India.
Can confirm. I grew up in one of the most redneck little towns in the greater Buffalo Area (rural Niagara County) and nearly everyone in my high school had been to Canada, at least once, especially before the days when you needed a passport to cross the border. Even my brother who is.. err, how do we put this.. a strong proponent of the stars and stripes has been to Canada on at least one occasion.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:48 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Ive been to over 25

But the average is close to, 2.5

Old 02-26-2020, 06:19 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Ive been to over 25

But the average is close to, 2.5
And how did you come up with that figure?

Old 02-26-2020, 06:22 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
If we were to do a census for everyone in the world and ask them how many countries they have been to including their birth country, what average would we get? Let's include refugees and migrants in this count as well.
I think like 0.5 countries or something close.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:26 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I think like 0.5 countries or something close.
Well.. you have to be in atleast 1 lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World