Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 11:33 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 7 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I agree. Canadian architecture is underwhelming.

Americans have art deco which while not an American model of architecture, it managed to give the US some awesome buildings.

Canadian architecture seems to resume to glass buildings.

THE US blows australia and Canada off of the water in architecture.
Sydney and Melbourne are fantastic cities, and Canada also has some wonderful cities.

The architecture in Ottawa is quite European and Sydney and Melbourne also have a lot of European influence and are impressive cities.

The most bland cities are those in places such as China, which have been built very quickly and are often polluted and lack any real soul.

I notice the OP account is now closed, so are you going to continue to use this new account or one of your other accounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 11:41 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,135,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnygingin View Post
The US is a massive hodgepodge of differing architectural styles and layouts across its suburbs and urban areas, but I found it to be the best country of the three for architecture. Looking at population size throughout history, I guess maybe this isn’t a surprise, but there’s a consistency of significant architectural movements that you can see in cities and towns of all sizes throughout the US. It’s true that the sprawling sunbelt modernity of cities like Houston leave a lot to be desired, but I think it’s unfair to characterize that as typical of America’s built form when it’s much newer than a lot of America, in terms of population trends. It has colonial historical areas that give it depth on top of more significant participation in (and in some cases, the spearheading of) the design, art, and architecture movements of the 19th and 20th centuries. It sometimes has a shockingly messy way of developing public spaces, but I find it much better at this overall than Canada. It has the best monuments, sculpture, and statuary of the three by far.

These are my perspectives. Thoughts?
I cannot speak for Australia but regarding US vs. Canada, it isn’t a fair contest. Given that the US had a larger population in 1830 than Canada in 1940, it is not surprising that all of the architecturally interesting styles that developed between the mid-19th century and WWII left a bigger mark on American cities.

But more generally, like many things the US has a lot of the best and quite a bit of the worst. So if you like architecture and are a tourist, you can concentrate on the best and find a lot of amazing stuff in the US, including a lot of variety in residential architecture (American vernacular, Prairie style, etc), and of course the early skyscrapers, courthouses, etc. Older parts of some of our inner cities (Toronto, Hamilton, some of the older Ontario cities like Belleville) have a similar feel to parts of US cities in the Rust Belt but one would need to be a heck of a Canada booster (or not be interested in architecture at all, or have a huge bias in favor of Toronto/Vancouver modern glass condo buildings) to argue that Canada is a better architectural destination. It doesn’t mean Canada doesn’t have interesting buildings and public spaces but the quantity just isn’t there.

Now I happen to feel like both the US and Canada have been pretty good at dilapidating that heritage and favoring function over form since the end of WWII, and things are not getting any better given the amount of roadway required for recent urban development. But that is a different story.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:53 AM
psv

55 posts, read 36,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Sydney and Melbourne are fantastic cities, and Canada also has some wonderful cities.

The architecture in Ottawa is quite European and Sydney and Melbourne also have a lot of European influence and are impressive cities.

The most bland cities are those in places such as China, which have been built very quickly and are often polluted and lack any real soul.

I notice the OP account is now closed, so are you going to continue to use this new account or one of your other accounts.
Sydney and Melbourne also seem to lack stunning architecture.

They might be pleasant, beach, green, tons of wilderness around.... but certainly not architectural epicenters in any form.

Old 07-18-2021, 12:03 PM

910 posts, read 367,040 times
Quote:

Americans have art deco which while not an American model of architecture, it managed to give the US some awesome buildings.

I believe the nicer areas of Philly like Society Hill, Old City, Rittenhouse Square Area, Art Museum Area, Chestnut Hill, and The Main Line are more beautiful than anything you see in Toronto. The bad areas of Philly are worse than anything you see in Toronto!

Old 07-18-2021, 02:41 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:

Canada does have some pretty unique cities for architecture like Quebec City, Victoria, Montreal.

However, I think zoning and recent population-explosion in Canada has something to do with the architecture of its built environment. Whereas, US cities seem to have stricter Zoning and fewer exemptions.

Old 07-18-2021, 03:18 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,498,273 times
Quote:
A lot of it has been demolished in London.

The main examples are Trellick Tower designed by architect Ernő Goldfinger, who played cards at the same club as Ian Fleming who wrote the James Bond books. Goldfinger also designed Balfron Tower in the East End.

Other examples include the Barbican, Queen Elizabeth Hall. Hayward Gallery and National Theatre on the Southbank as well as the Alexandra & Ainsworth Estate aka Rowley Way in Camden.

However most of the post war estates have been demolished and replaced with traditional housing and private apartments.
In Brisbane they seem to be either demolishing it or heritage listing it depending on the building. I think it's quite a common scenario around the world at the moment.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Sydney and Melbourne also seem to lack stunning architecture.

They might be pleasant, beach, green, tons of wilderness around.... but certainly not architectural epicenters in any form.
Sydney has beautiful European style Victorian sandstone buildings, and the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House are among the most iconic structures on earth.

Whilst the Sydney's Bay is breathtaking, and it is one of the most stunning cities in the world.

Architecture of Sydney - Wikipedia

Whilst Mellbourne also has it's fair share of grand Victorian Architecture and has a lot of interesting history.

Architecture of Melbourne - Wikipedia

Old 07-21-2021, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
In Brisbane they seem to be either demolishing it or heritage listing it depending on the building. I think it's quite a common scenario around the world at the moment.
Congratulations to Brisbane, on being awarded the 2032 Olympic Games.

2032 Games: Brisbane confirmed as Olympic and Paralympic host - BBC News

Old 07-22-2021, 05:07 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,521,896 times
Quote:
Congratulations to Brisbane, on being awarded the 2032 Olympic Games.

2032 Games: Brisbane confirmed as Olympic and Paralympic host - BBC News
It will be great for Brisbane, and a very successful games.

Old 01-10-2023, 06:25 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
There are a lot of silly generalizations in this thread. The U.S has more breadth of architectural styles and so I don't think Australia or Canada can compete due to the size and history of the U.S. That said, I think Australia and Canada perform well and in Canada's case (i'm less familiar with Australia), Canada has a pretty impressive architectural collection given the age of the country and particularly given the fact it only really developed a sizable population in the 1800's

I also find it interesting that people tend to dismiss anything as being architecturally significant, if it wasn't built before 1900.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World