Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2021, 08:55 AM

90 posts, read 67,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Usuari0deldia uses exactly the same language.

Usuari0deldia in the USA v UK thread (Post 89).
How can I be Irene when I have said multiple times that I love London and that it’s one of my fave cities in the world. You can also see that I did defend London when someone says that it’s boring, underwhelming, etc. But yea, overall the quality of life in the UK is subpar compared to Australia’s. How many times have u seen any British cities on the top rankings of the cities with the best quality to live ? Ironically done by a British magazine (the economist). But anyway, I am talking about my own experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 10:19 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,045,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usuari0deldia View Post
How can I be Irene when I have said multiple times that I love London and that it’s one of my fave cities in the world. You can also see that I did defend London when someone says that it’s boring, underwhelming, etc. But yea, overall the quality of life in the UK is subpar compared to Australia’s. How many times have u seen any British cities on the top rankings of the cities with the best quality to live ? Ironically done by a British magazine (the economist). But anyway, I am talking about my own experience
Hello Irene!

Old 08-04-2021, 11:01 AM

8,871 posts, read 8,459,440 times
Do people not realise the best way to deal with trolls and the unhinged is to ignore them completely?

Old 08-04-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Do people not realise the best way to deal with trolls and the unhinged is to ignore them completely?
You're probably right, but then it ruins the fun no?

Old 08-04-2021, 12:44 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,198,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcoolm View Post
I forgot:
- Oslo, Copenhagen, Helsinki - they look boring, drabber and soulless compared to Stockholm, esp. Oslo and Helsinki. Too much modernism and terribly long winters don't help either.
Is Oslo world famous and considered to be great?

Old 08-04-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Is Oslo world famous and considered to be great?
I do wish people would elaborate don't you? That way this thread may just have a chance to become useful! Perhaps they would like to tell us 'why' they find Oslo so 'boring'? Perhaps they could start by telling us what it is Oslo 'lacks' compared to other cities?

Old 08-04-2021, 08:34 PM

27,221 posts, read 13,508,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Hello Irene!

The post the confirmed it for me, was in the US V UK thread -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usuari0deldia View Post
The UK is so irrelevant nowadays lol. London is cool but the rest of the country is so unattractive
A classic Irene line, and Irene will try to cover her tracks by pretending to like London and the UK and then attack it.

Apparently everywhere outside of London is unattractive and London is irrelevant - really.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I do wish people would elaborate don't you? That way this thread may just have a chance to become useful! Perhaps they would like to tell us 'why' they find Oslo so 'boring'? Perhaps they could start by telling us what it is Oslo 'lacks' compared to other cities?
Oslo is a fantastic city, with lots of great restaurants and cafes, beautiful clean streets, great museums and a decent night life.

The only downside is that alcohol is often taxed at a higher rate in Scandinavia and as a result beer, wine and spirits are very expensive in Oslo.

Beer averages at 90kr which is £7.56 a pint ($10.50) whilst wine and spirits are even more expensive.

In recent decades Scandinavia has seen numerous television dramas, and even the food from the region became fashionable.

Oslo is the world’s most expensive city to buy a beer. So why bother?

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-04-2021 at 09:18 PM..

Old 08-04-2021, 11:19 PM

8,871 posts, read 8,459,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Oslo is a fantastic city, with lots of great restaurants and cafes, beautiful clean streets, great museums and a decent night life.

The only downside is that alcohol is often taxed at a higher rate in Scandinavia and as a result beer, wine and spirits are very expensive in Oslo.

Beer averages at 90kr which is £7.56 a pint ($10.50) whilst wine and spirits are even more expensive.

In recent decades Scandinavia has seen numerous television dramas, and even the food from the region became fashionable.

Oslo is the world’s most expensive city to buy a beer. So why bother?
Everything is more expensive in Norway because it's much wealthier. Only Switzerland and Iceland are on the same level of expensive.

Old 08-05-2021, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Everything is more expensive in Norway because it's much wealthier. Only Switzerland and Iceland are on the same level of expensive.
It's mainly down to heavy taxes on alcohol and even sugar for health reasons, these taxes are known as 'sin' taxes. Some Norwegians go abroad to stock up on goods as it's cheaper due to these taxes.

The average household net-adjusted disposable income in Norway per capita is USD 35 725 a year, higher than the OECD average of USD 33 604 a year, and although slightly above average it does not account for the high price of alcohol.

There have been some reports of a post-covid rethink of the 'sin' taxes in order to help kick start the economy, however I have seen little beyond proposals.

Price of vice: Norway eyes cut in 'sin' tax on alcohol, sugar to spur spending - Reuters (2020)

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-05-2021 at 02:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World