Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2021, 03:14 AM

164 posts, read 81,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Brisbane Australia. Sure they are going to host the 2032 Olympics but I find the city boring.
Actually in my opinion Australia, Canada, and a lot of the US have these very sterile cities, often sprawling, suburban, devoid of culture.

At times visiting some cities in those countries I feel like I am in a giant golf course rather than a city.

The shopping malls - cookie cutter mcmansions - awful chain restaurants - neverending highways. It is so awful for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 04:18 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,062,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl77 View Post
Actually in my opinion Australia, Canada, and a lot of the US have these very sterile cities, often sprawling, suburban, devoid of culture.

At times visiting some cities in those countries I feel like I am in a giant golf course rather than a city.

The shopping malls - cookie cutter mcmansions - awful chain restaurants - neverending highways. It is so awful for me.
What are you basing this opinion on? Have you been to all these cities? I haven't been but I would be VERY surprised if Sydney or New York or New Orleans or Melbourne are nothing more than 'sterile cities, devoid of culture'!?
What is it that Sydney or New York lack that 'other cities' have? You can't give relatively new cities history, that's impossible but that doesn't mean they're 'sterile' or lacking a culture. New York and Sydney are among the most exciting cities on the planet no?

Old 08-16-2021, 05:06 AM

27,304 posts, read 13,563,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
What are you basing this opinion on? Have you been to all these cities? I haven't been but I would be VERY surprised if Sydney or New York or New Orleans or Melbourne are nothing more than 'sterile cities, devoid of culture'!?
What is it that Sydney or New York lack that 'other cities' have? You can't give relatively new cities history, that's impossible but that doesn't mean they're 'sterile' or lacking a culture. New York and Sydney are among the most exciting cities on the planet no?

Totally Agree.

The US does have cities with a lot of beauty and charm, including the likes of New Orleans, and cities such Charleston, Savannah or bigger cities such as Boston and parts of NYC such as Greenwich Village. San Francisco also has a lot of great architecture and is set in fantastic natural surroundings, and many areas are also renowned such as New England or the California Wine region or part of Florida etc.

Australia also has some fantastic cities, Melbourne has some beautiful areas, and Sydney is another city set in a fantastic natural setting, and which has a very good restaurant and night life scene. Whilst the Australian coastline and beaches are stunning.

In Canada, Ottawa has a lot of history, whilst Vancouver is yet another city full of amazing greenery and in an amazing natural setting, whilst Toronto is Canada's Chicago, both sit upon the Great Lakes, Chicago on Lake Michigan and Toronto on Lake Ontario. Whilst the cities share a similar topography and population.

The US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand have some fantastic cities and some amazing natural settings.

As for the so called awful chain restaurants, all of these countries have cities with superb local food markets, which serve all kinds of food, as well as having great local restaurants from diners to fine dining and they all have a good selection of cuisine from around the globe.

In terms of the US each city has it's own ethnic type food, which would draw on the cities ethnic roots whether Polish, German, Italian etc.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-16-2021 at 05:33 AM..

Old 08-16-2021, 05:29 AM

305 posts, read 214,394 times
The vast northside of Chicago is America’s best example of beautiful urban (and affordable) living.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:29 AM

910 posts, read 369,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Luckily that's starting to change a little bit with the new US administration. I love the fact that the Prez is a big Amtrak fan and that the new infrastructure bill includes billions of new dollars for transit. It's not perfect but a start - we can't build roads forever.

To answer the OP, Rome was ok (like the history was amazing!) but I was so underwhelmed. I much prefer Lisbon to Rome.
Yes, and some of that transit money is coming to LA.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Totally Agree.

The US does have cities with a lot of beauty and charm, including the likes of New Orleans, and cities such Charleston, Savannah or bigger cities such as Boston and parts of NYC such as Greenwich Village. San Francisco also has a lot of great architecture and is set in fantastic natural surroundings, and many areas are also renowned such as New England or the California Wine region or part of Florida etc.

Australia also has some fantastic cities, Melbourne has some beautiful areas, and Sydney is another city set in a fantastic natural setting, and which has a very good restaurant and night life scene. Whilst the Australian coastline and beaches are stunning.

In Canada, Ottawa has a lot of history, whilst Vancouver is yet another city full of amazing greenery and in an amazing natural setting, whilst Toronto is Canada's Chicago, both sit upon the Great Lakes, Chicago on Lake Michigan and Toronto on Lake Ontario. Whilst the cities share a similar topography and population.

The US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand have some fantastic cities and some amazing natural settings.

As for the so called awful chain restaurants, all of these countries have cities with superb local food markets, which serve all kinds of food, as well as having great local restaurants from diners to fine dining and they all have a good selection of cuisine from around the globe.

In terms of the US each city has it's own ethnic type food, which would draw on the cities ethnic roots whether Polish, German, Italian etc.
Excellent positive response to counter negativity. Everything said here is spot on. Boston looks nothing like New Orleans, and Seattle looks nothing like Miami. Even in my home state of California, Los Angeles looks different than San Francisco, there is nothing sterile about them. Also Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary, and Quebec City are all glorious in their own unique way.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:17 AM

27,674 posts, read 28,766,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
Excellent positive response to counter negativity. Everything said here is spot on. Boston looks nothing like New Orleans, and Seattle looks nothing like Miami. Even in my home state of California, Los Angeles looks different than San Francisco, there is nothing sterile about them. Also Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary, and Quebec City are all glorious in their own unique way.
Hmm.. I never heard of Calgary being described as glorious, but who knows? Maybe it is.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Hmm.. I never heard of Calgary being described as glorious, but who knows? Maybe it is.
Went up there for The Stampede, and just loved the place! Another visit saw my Philly Flyers play the Flames at the magnificent Saddledome. Plus being so close to the majestic Canadian Rockies, and Lake Louise is another plus.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:48 AM

12,194 posts, read 8,088,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Totally Agree.

I think his point was less on Boston, parts of NYC, Chicago, Savannah, Charleston, San Francisco, etc... and more on the cities that were sterilized, gutted and redlined. Large swaths of once prosperous cities such as Detroit, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Kansas City were ruined by the Freeway system and systematic racism to split off communities. Then the white flight. Then the war on drugs. America really f*d up alot of its cities. Im in urban planning now and it really is a sad tale. They mght now have developing downtown centers, but this is late.

Then we enter a new ballgame of the fast-growing cities that are sterilized on a development basis like Irvine, Orlando, Cary, Houston, Fort Worth, Oklahoma City, Indianapolis, etc. These cities were either crushed due to white flight ad/or fell victim to poor car centric urban sprawl post Reagan Administration.

There are GREAT cities in America. But a lot of American cities suffered greatly at the hands of our politicians. We ruined a lot of our cities and continue to build sterilized ones. Like Detroit could have been a Chicago... Cincinnati and Kansas City were once icons of grid street europeanesque communities. St. Louis had bulldozed over 3 square miles of brownstones, brick buildings, and historic architecture in the name of 'urban renewal'. There could be MORE cities like Boston, NYC, and Chicago... but f history and racism. Ims till appalled at how many cities and neighborhoods we demolished.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I think his point was less on Boston, parts of NYC, Chicago, Savannah, Charleston, San Francisco, etc... and more on the cities that were sterilized, gutted and redlined. Large swaths of once prosperous cities such as Detroit, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Kansas City were ruined by the Freeway system and systematic racism to split off communities. Then the white flight. Then the war on drugs. America really f*d up alot of its cities. Im in urban planning now and it really is a sad tale. They mght now have developing downtown centers, but this is late.

Then we enter a new ballgame of the fast-growing cities that are sterilized on a development basis like Irvine, Orlando, Cary, Houston, Fort Worth, Oklahoma City, Indianapolis, etc. These cities were either crushed due to white flight ad/or fell victim to poor car centric urban sprawl post Reagan Administration.

There are GREAT cities in America. But a lot of American cities suffered greatly at the hands of our politicians. We ruined a lot of our cities and continue to build sterilized ones. Like Detroit could have been a Chicago... Cincinnati and Kansas City were once icons of grid street europeanesque communities. St. Louis had bulldozed over 3 square miles of brownstones, brick buildings, and historic architecture in the name of 'urban renewal'. There could be MORE cities like Boston, NYC, and Chicago... but f history and racism. Ims till appalled at how many cities and neighborhoods we demolished.
I agree with you that many mistakes were made, and bad policy enacted. I can still find charm in Detroit, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Fort Worth, and many others that you think are to late to be "saved".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World