Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2021, 12:25 PM

90 posts, read 67,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl77 View Post
oh world wide my list of two day cities would be:

Houston
Orlando
Tampa
Panama
Atlanta
Dallas
Medellin
Vancouver
Ottawa
Brugge
Rotterdam
Cologne
Frankfurt
Munich
Zurich
Geneva
Bilbao
Any city in France outside Paris and Nice.
Any city in the UK outside London.

too many to name actually.

On the other hand the cities where I felt I would need more than a wekk to absorb the place wholly would be:

Buenos Aires
Bogota
Mexico City
Sao paulo
NYC (But not Manhattan, rather the boroughs)
Paris (outside the cliche tourist zones)
Napoli
Rome
Madrid
Athens

Southern European and Latin American big cities need time to connect with them because cultures are eclectic there, plus extremely sociable which means tons of situations and places to witness.

Three day cities would be
Amsterdam
Toronto
Chicago
LA
We think very similar :’)
I even had forgotten about Panama haha it was so boring omg. Cartagena in Colombia is awesome though. Medellin is meh.

I agree with the other cities too. I would add London too. When I visited it for my first time in 2019 I thought it was cool but now that I live here i think it’s ever more awesome. There’s never a dull time, there’s always something new to explore. It’s just so diverse. Last week I randomly went to the M&M store its has 4 floors of M&M chocolate and random stuff like underwear. Then I ended up at the Tate Modern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 12:29 PM

164 posts, read 81,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usuari0deldia View Post
We think very similar :’)
I even had forgotten about Panama haha it was so boring omg. Cartagena in Colombia is awesome though. Medellin is meh.

I agree with the other cities too. I would add London too. When I visited it for my first time in 2019 I thought it was cool but now that I live here i think it’s ever more awesome. There’s never a dull time, there’s always something new to explore. It’s just so diverse. Last week I randomly went to the M&M store its has 4 floors of M&M chocolate and random stuff like underwear. Then I ended up at the Tate Modern.
London is really interesting if you get away from the tourist traps along the lines of the eye of London, the crown jewels etc.

You have to sort of find your cliquey in London and explore whatever is there, which is cool!!

If you approach London like a tourist it can look really meh, but you have to look around and you find nice places!

Old 08-05-2021, 12:41 PM

5,121 posts, read 2,172,120 times
One more for Las Vegas. Been there twice for conventions. I've been to many cities where I'm standing in the airport literally crying because I don't want to leave. Conversely, I tend to smile at the Vegas airport.

Old 08-05-2021, 01:24 PM

910 posts, read 369,114 times
Quote:
oh world wide my list of two day cities would be:

Houston
Orlando
Tampa
Panama
Atlanta
Dallas
Medellin
Vancouver
Ottawa
Brugge
Rotterdam
Cologne
Frankfurt
Munich
Zurich
Geneva
Bilbao
Any city in France outside Paris and Nice.
Any city in the UK outside London.

too many to name actually.

On the other hand the cities where I felt I would need more than a wekk to absorb the place wholly would be:

Buenos Aires
Bogota
Mexico city
Sao paulo
NYC (But not Manhattan, rather the boroughs)
Paris (outside the cliche tourist zones)
Napoli
Rome
Madrid
Athens

Southern European and Latin American big cities need time to connect with them because cultures are eclectic there, plus extremely sociable which means tons of situations and places to witness.

Three day cities would be
Amsterdam
Toronto
Chicago
LA
Born in Toronto, live near Los Angeles, so very familiar with both cities. Would agree with you that Toronto is a good 3 day city, but LA is more like a full week city. Love Toronto, but there are far more, and interesting things to do in Los Angeles. There is no way you can equate Toronto and LA.

Old 08-06-2021, 02:42 AM

27,304 posts, read 13,563,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
That's adjusted for purchasing power. Norway's income is much higher than other European countries except Switzerland and Iceland.

Median equivalised net income (2019)

Switzerland - €41,167
Norway - €39,127
Iceland - €39,867 (2018)
Germany - €23,504
France - €22,583
United Kingdom - €21,464 (2018)

https://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu...taset=ilc_di04

Purchasing power is also amongst the highest in Europe.

Median equivalised net income (2019 purchasing power standard)

Switzerland - €27,207
Norway - €26,707
Germany - €22,683
France - €20,491
United Kingdom - €18,423 (2018)
As already stated, taxation of alcohol has more to do with it's price in Norway, there are places in the UK with very high purchasing power, however there are national pub chains offering fairly low prices in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Is Norway So Expensive? (Think Living Wages.) - Cultures Contexts

On a recent visit to Norway, two friends from the University of Oslo on my first evening in Oslo took me out for a beer to talk about my visit–as in one beer each. The tab for the three beers: $57. Needless to say, I headed for a store the next day to check out retail prices. I noticed that they mostly sell beer individually, not per six-pack. It is because buying a six-pack would bankrupt you. The cheapest beer I could find, a mass-market Pilsner, was about $5 for one half-liter can–just over 16 ounces. Beer is very expensive because it is heavily taxed, as are all alcoholic beverages, as part of a strategy to curb alcoholism. My Norwegian friends assured me that the plan is not working.

Why Is Norway So Expensive? (Think Living Wages.) - Cultures Contexts

Old 08-06-2021, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usuari0deldia View Post
Someone who thinks Oslo is a fun city must be a boring person. I was in Copenhagen and I wouldn’t ever come back. It’s one the most boring cities with such a weird vibe. 1-2 days are good enough. I bet Oslo is even more boring with the same sterile modern buildings. Unfriendly and cold people. I remember walking around 9pm and the city was dead in the middle of summer.
What was stated was that Oslo had plenty of greenery and some beautiful streets, and it also has some great museums and cultural centres.

I prefer Oslo to cities with massive wage disparities and gun violence, although on the down side the city is expensive, and there are significant taxes on alcohol and some other goods.

As for a boring person, that would be someone who doesn't seem to like any cities, and enjoys looking for negative aspects rather than positives.

Old 08-06-2021, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
What was stated was that Oslo had plenty of greenery and some beautiful streets, and it also has some great museums and cultural centres.

I prefer Oslo to cities with massive wage disparities and gun violence, although on the down side the city is expensive, and there are significant taxes on alcohol and some other goods.

As for a boring person, that would be someone who doesn't seem to like any cities, and enjoys looking for negative aspects rather than positives.
At the risk of being called Irene by you, I agree with the other poster.

Almost all cities have greenery and nice settings. Rio De Janeiro and Capetown are the queens of natural settings.

Driving around some areas in Rio de Janeiro blows your mind because of the dramatic peaks and beaches and even urban forests you come across.

I am not negative and I hardly found Oslo that interesting. It is not that the city is bad, it's just that Oslo does not offer anything remarkable nor superior to what just about any other city its size has to offer plus is quite expensive.

Old 08-06-2021, 03:26 AM

Quote:
At the risk of being called Irene by you, I agree with the other poster.

Almost all cities have greenery and nice settings. Rio De Janeiro and Capetown are the queens of natural settings.

Driving around some areas in Rio de Janeiro blows your mind because of the dramatic peaks and beaches and even urban forests you come across.

I am not negative and I hardly found Oslo that interesting. It is not that the city is bad, it's just that Oslo does not offer anything remarkable nor superior to what just about any other city its size has to offer plus is quite expensive.

Oslo has a stunning Fjord at the bottom of the city and mountains surround the rest of the town.

The Oslo Fjord is a fantastic place to go exploring in the summer, with public transport boats and tourist companies taking visitors and locals out to the nearby islands.

In the winter, the mountains around Oslo are perfect for skiing and snowboarding, while during the summer they are hugely popular hiking destinations.

The forested hills of Nordmarka represent important recreational areas for the inhabitants of Oslo, both for hiking during the summer months and for cross country skiing in the winter. Nordmarka is easily accessible by public transport system.

GO ISLAND HOPPING IN OSLO - Norway

Oslo already has some fantastic museums and culture and the new USD $723 million National Museum in Oslo opens it's doors next year, and will house the largest collection in any Nordic country.

Norway Is Preparing to Open Its $723 Million Megamuseum, Home to ‘The Scream,’ After Seven Years—Get a Sneak Peek Here -Artnet

The city also has a nice vibe, with lots of coffee shops and restaurants, as well as beautiful shopping streets.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-06-2021 at 03:37 AM..

Old 08-06-2021, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Oslo has a stunning Fjord at the bottom of the city and mountains surround the rest of the town.

The Oslo Fjord is a fantastic place to go exploring in the summer, with public transport boats and tourist companies taking visitors and locals out to the nearby islands.

In the winter, the mountains around Oslo are perfect for skiing and snowboarding, while during the summer they are hugely popular hiking destinations.

GO ISLAND HOPPING IN OSLO - Norway
Maybe I just do not like gray weather nor northern European ambiance?

I prefer sunnier warmer climates in the Mediterranean, I also enjoy south East Asian and Latin American cities. Scandinavian and German/Dutch cities, not much.

Old 08-06-2021, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Maybe I just do not like gray weather nor northern European ambiance?

I prefer sunnier warmer climates in the Mediterranean, I also enjoy south East Asian and Latin American cities. Scandinavian and German/Dutch cities, not much.
Norway has a summer, and there is a difference between visiting somewhere and living there.

I think Oslo is an interesting place to visit, and is a city with close connections to nature, as well as a lot of nature driven activities from swimming in the fjord and island hoping to hiking and skiing/snow boarding.

Summer in Oslo - Visit Oslo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World