Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2021, 03:37 AM

169 posts, read 130,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I do wish people would elaborate don't you? That way this thread may just have a chance to become useful! Perhaps they would like to tell us 'why' they find Oslo so 'boring'? Perhaps they could start by telling us what it is Oslo 'lacks' compared to other cities?
It lacks enough classical buildings and tree-lined boulevards like those of Stockholm for one thing. It's more modernist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 04:35 AM

27,213 posts, read 13,502,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcoolm View Post
It lacks enough classical buildings and tree-lined boulevards like those of Stockholm for one thing. It's more modernist.
Oslo is one of the greenest cities you will find any where, it was even awarded the prestigious title European Green Capital in 2019.

Some of the architecture is modernist, however there is still a lot of history and interesting architecture.

Green getaway to Oslo - Visit Norway

GO ISLAND HOPPING IN OSLO - Norway

The shopping and entertainment area around Karl Johan Gate is very beautiful.

Karl Johans gate - US News

Whether it's as good as Stockholm is a matter of personal taste, however I personally rate Oslo and a lot of the Scandinavian cities, and they are great places to visit.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-05-2021 at 04:54 AM..

Old 08-05-2021, 06:14 AM

30,452 posts, read 19,224,680 times
I had the good fortune to travel around the world in my job for 15 years and here are my comments:
- Rome I would say I didn't much like. Yes the Vatican and the museums are nice but the city itself did not wow me and I didn't find the people very friendly.
- Moscow I also didn't like because the people were not friendly and are passively aggressive and at the time I was there, it was very expensive (now changed), and the food was mediocre and architecture boring (except for the pre-communist era buildings.
- In the USA, I would say LA doesn't overwhelm as it's a desert, is super expensive and the people aren't especially friendly.
- Dubai is the best city in the Middle East but still it has a fake façade to it that isn't real and it's super hot.

Old 08-05-2021, 06:29 AM

90 posts, read 67,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It's mainly down to heavy taxes on alcohol and even sugar for health reasons, these taxes are known as 'sin' taxes. Some Norwegians go abroad to stock up on goods as it's cheaper due to these taxes.

The average household net-adjusted disposable income in Norway per capita is USD 35 725 a year, higher than the OECD average of USD 33 604 a year, and although slightly above average it does not account for the high price of alcohol.

There have been some reports of a post-covid rethink of the 'sin' taxes in order to help kick start the economy, however I have seen little beyond proposals.

Price of vice: Norway eyes cut in 'sin' tax on alcohol, sugar to spur spending - Reuters (2020)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcoolm View Post
Someone who thinks Oslo is a fun city must be a boring person. I was in Copenhagen and I wouldn’t ever come back. It’s one the most boring cities with such a weird vibe. 1-2 days are good enough. I bet Oslo is even more boring with the same sterile modern buildings. Unfriendly and cold people. I remember walking around 9pm and the city was dead in the middle of summer.

Old 08-05-2021, 07:11 AM

164 posts, read 81,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usuari0deldia View Post
Someone who thinks Oslo is a fun city must be a boring person. I was in Copenhagen and I wouldn’t ever come back. It’s one the most boring cities with such a weird vibe. 1-2 days are good enough. I bet Oslo is even more boring with the same sterile modern buildings. Unfriendly and cold people. I remember walking around 9pm and the city was dead in the middle of summer.
I've been to OSlo, it is certainly nothing that will blow you away.

Four days in Oslo will feel like it's way too much time for that city. (That is what I spent there), after two days I felt like there is nothing else to do other than sit around and drink coffee, I literally counted the hours I had left before I would fly out and on my last day I went to the airport almost seven hours before the plane was set to leave because there was literally nothing to do)

But many capital cities in Europe are like that.

These are the list of capital cities where I felt that after one or two days you literally had nothing to do there.

Bern (one day is enough)

The Hague (1 1/2 days)

Dublin (2 days is more than enough)

Reykjavik (one day)

Oslo (one day)

Helsinki (1 1/2 days is ok)

Bratislava (one day will do)

Zagreb (1 1/2 days will do)

Warsaw (1 1/2 days is enough)

In fact even outside European capitals, a lot of European cities that tend to be tourist magnets can also get old pretty fast after a day or two.

As for Stockholm, I'd say after three days Stockholm starts to get old. But once again, no one said Scandinavia is entertainment/party central. You go there to isolate yourself and to look at trees and throw rocks at a lake when weather permits.

Last edited by karl77; 08-05-2021 at 07:20 AM..

Old 08-05-2021, 07:34 AM

8,871 posts, read 8,459,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It's mainly down to heavy taxes on alcohol and even sugar for health reasons, these taxes are known as 'sin' taxes. Some Norwegians go abroad to stock up on goods as it's cheaper due to these taxes.

The average household net-adjusted disposable income in Norway per capita is USD 35 725 a year, higher than the OECD average of USD 33 604 a year, and although slightly above average it does not account for the high price of alcohol.
That's adjusted for purchasing power. Norway's income is much higher than other European countries except Switzerland and Iceland.

Median equivalised net income (2019)

Switzerland - €41,167
Norway - €39,127
Iceland - €39,867 (2018)
Germany - €23,504
France - €22,583
United Kingdom - €21,464 (2018)

https://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu...taset=ilc_di04

Purchasing power is also amongst the highest in Europe.

Median equivalised net income (2019 purchasing power standard)

Switzerland - €27,207
Norway - €26,707
Germany - €22,683
France - €20,491
United Kingdom - €18,423 (2018)

Old 08-05-2021, 08:11 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,045,288 times
Quote:
I refuse to believe that the population if Oslo are all unfriendly, cold people clones, do you have anything to actually back up that unfair accusation? In what way exactly does Copenhagen have a 'weird vibe'?

Old 08-05-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I refuse to believe that the population if Oslo are all unfriendly, cold people clones, do you have anything to actually back up that unfair accusation? In what way exactly does Copenhagen have a 'weird vibe'?
Yes, my friend. People in Denmark are very reserved and cold. It’s a very unfriendly city too.
It has a weird vibe, there’s a park in the middle of the city where people have stalls selling drugs. They advertise it as a liberal hippy cool and trendy part of the city with its own rules but it’s horrible. It’s just full of druggies and weird people. I left straight away. Then, you see a lot of people hanging out by themselves or even at the cemetery. The city is very quiet but in a weird way, I don’t know how to describe it. I left to Madrid which was completely the opposite. It’s harsh from me to say that Oslo will be like that but the city itself doesn’t seem appealing. I would love to go hiking around Norway tho.

Old 08-05-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl77 View Post
I've been to OSlo, it is certainly nothing that will blow you away.

Four days in Oslo will feel like it's way too much time for that city. (That is what I spent there), after two days I felt like there is nothing else to do other than sit around and drink coffee, I literally counted the hours I had left before I would fly out and on my last day I went to the airport almost seven hours before the plane was set to leave because there was literally nothing to do)

But many capital cities in Europe are like that.

These are the list of capital cities where I felt that after one or two days you literally had nothing to do there.

Bern (one day is enough)

The Hague (1 1/2 days)

Dublin (2 days is more than enough)

Reykjavik (one day)

Oslo (one day)

Helsinki (1 1/2 days is ok)

Bratislava (one day will do)

Zagreb (1 1/2 days will do)

Warsaw (1 1/2 days is enough)

In fact even outside European capitals, a lot of European cities that tend to be tourist magnets can also get old pretty fast after a day or two.

As for Stockholm, I'd say after three days Stockholm starts to get old. But once again, no one said Scandinavia is entertainment/party central. You go there to isolate yourself and to look at trees and throw rocks at a lake when weather permits.
I haven’t been to any of those cities. But my list would be:
CPH
Frankfurt
Canberra
Quebec
Auckland
Santiago Chile
Kuala Lumpur

Old 08-05-2021, 11:15 AM

164 posts, read 81,358 times
Quote:
I haven’t been to any of those cities. But my list would be:
CPH
Frankfurt
Canberra
Quebec
Auckland
Santiago Chile
Kuala Lumpur
oh world wide my list of two day cities would be:

Houston
Orlando
Tampa
Panama
Atlanta
Dallas
Medellin
Vancouver
Ottawa
Brugge
Rotterdam
Cologne
Frankfurt
Munich
Zurich
Geneva
Bilbao
Any city in France outside Paris and Nice.
Any city in the UK outside London.

too many to name actually.

On the other hand the cities where I felt I would need more than a wekk to absorb the place wholly would be:

Buenos Aires
Bogota
Mexico city
Sao paulo
NYC (But not Manhattan, rather the boroughs)
Paris (outside the cliche tourist zones)
Napoli
Rome
Madrid
Athens

Southern European and Latin American big cities need time to connect with them because cultures are eclectic there, plus extremely sociable which means tons of situations and places to witness.

Three day cities would be
Amsterdam
Toronto
Chicago
LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World