Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2021, 11:28 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanque View Post

Are foreigners able to highlight cultural differences between their nations and the US without being subtly or outright derogatory towards the US? It seems people like Acajack, Easthome, etc, cannot be. Why are only Americans capable of treating other cultures within the Anglosphere with respect?
The idea that I am disrespectful to Americans and US culture is totally ridiculous. I guess I don't suck up enough for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 11:33 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,041,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The idea that I am disrespectful to Americans and US culture is totally ridiculous. I guess I don't suck up enough for you.
Don't worry he/she named me also! I'm not sure where I've ever been 'disrespectful' though!
Perhaps I don't 'suck up' enough either?

Old 08-17-2021, 11:59 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,042,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Latino's are simply considered 'white' in the rest of the world.
Not really, no. In all anglo countries Latin Americans and Hispanics are separated from white only. Its practiced in Canada, UK, Ireland.

I guess conversely, you could say that MENA folk are counted as white in the US but arent in most European nations. In America, someone from Beirut, Muscat or Tehran is as white as someone from Glasgow according to the US Census

Old 08-17-2021, 12:15 PM

164 posts, read 81,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Your definitions are irrelevant to American public policy.

American public policy will be formed according to what they self-reported to the census according to the categories the census provided.
It does not matter how Americans self report. At the end of the day most people in the US are Americans to the eyes of the world.

At the end of the day 28% irish from Boston does not make you a local in Ireland

Mexicans from Los Angeles will never be seen as local Mexicans in Mexico but just as Americans

And The world will continue to be amused by America's obsession with labeling people into non-scientific socially invented ridiculous racial categories.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Not really, no. In all anglo countries Latin Americans and Hispanics are separated from white only. Its practiced in Canada, UK, Ireland.

I guess conversely, you could say that MENA folk are counted as white in the US but arent in most European nations. In America, someone from Beirut, Muscat or Tehran is as white as someone from Glasgow according to the US Census
What is exactly white only? Any one with a simple notion of biology knows that such idea is ridiculous.

No one is white, no human has skin this color:

Millions of Latin Americans are just as European in origin as "white" Americans, millions of other Latin Americans are just as African in origin as the "blacks" from the US.

It does not matter how much Americans try to reduce Latin America to the cliche of "Latino". Latin America is too broad, diverse and it shows.

Americans have this ridiculous empire complex with Latin America,very similar to what Russians feel towards Ukraine.

I was recently listening to some American scholars telling Latin Americans they need to call themselves LatinX as it suits the English language better due to the lack of gender in the English language hence Spanish shouldn't have genders either.

It is so surreal you can only help but wonder if Americans have a grip on reality as a nation!

Old 08-17-2021, 04:00 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,041,416 times
Quote:

Yes really. There is no such race as Latino anywhere but in the US, somebody from Beirut ate considered white in the UK! Unless they're actually black of course! It's only in the US that white people are now also being put into new non-existant races, the US seems obsessed by race.

Old 08-17-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yes really. There is no such race as Latino anywhere but in the US, somebody from Beirut ate considered white in the UK! Unless they're actually black of course! It's only in the US that white people are now also being put into new non-existant races, the US seems obsessed by race.
source? What I am seeing is Arabs and Latinos are counted as Other on the UK Census.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clas...United_Kingdom

And Latino/Hispanic is not a race in America..? It is an ethnicity. But even if you added up all the Latinos who did declare White, the US is 61% white including white hispanics, aince most Hispanics are two or more races. If you take away Arabs/MENA folk, the US is 59.5% White which would be the equivalent on the UK scale since Arabs are classified as Other Race and I took the Latinos who are not two or more races.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 08-17-2021 at 04:14 PM..

Old 08-17-2021, 05:16 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,374,639 times
Quote:
source? What I am seeing is Arabs and Latinos are counted as Other on the UK Census.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clas...United_Kingdom

Huh? I don’t see “Latino” or “Hispanic” being mentioned on the UK Census.

A white person from Latin America would more than likely tick the “Any other White background” option*, while mixed Latin Americans would tick the “Any other Mixed/multiple ethnic background”, “White and Black African” if it were the case, or maybe “Any other ethnic group” if they consider it to be part of a distinctive Latino or Hispanic ethnicity (albeit I guess it’s mostly Americans of mixed Latin American ancestry who would put that, not actual Latin Americans).

* Some mixed Latin Americans, especially if not heavily mixed/mostly European ancestry would likely tick the “Any other White background” option too.

Old 08-17-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Huh? I don’t see “Latino” or “Hispanic” being mentioned on the UK Census.

A white person from Latin America would more than likely tick the “Any other White background” option*, while mixed Latin Americans would tick the “Any other Mixed/multiple ethnic background”, “White and Black African” if it were the case, or maybe “Any other ethnic group” if they consider it to be part of a distinctive Latino or Hispanic ethnicity (albeit I guess it’s mostly Americans of mixed Latin American ancestry who would put that, not actual Latin Americans).

* Some mixed Latin Americans, especially if not heavily mixed/mostly European ancestry would likely tick the “Any other White background” option too.
Again, source?

Most Latin Americans.. especially from Central America are not checking off white alone. They are checking White with combination, Some other Race or Mixed race. They are mixed/other race. Outside of Argentina, Uruguay and Cuba.. Latin American countries are majority non-white.. by a pretty good share.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Again, source?

Most Latin Americans.. especially from Central America are not checking off white alone. They are checking White with combination, Some other Race or Mixed race. They are mixed/other race. Outside of Argentina, Uruguay and Cuba.. Latin American countries are majority non-white.. by a pretty good share.
Its by individual.

MY son is in a local football team with a young guy from Chile, he has Austrian roots and you cannot tell him apart from any other Austrian. Turns out his grandparents were Austrian.

I have also known because of my work musicians from Cuba who come to play in festivals here in Austria for a few days, and they were all of clear African heritage.

I am also aware because I visited several countries in Latin America, that Latin America is ethnically diverse, it is ridiculous to claim they are just Latino as if they were all homogeneous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World