Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2021, 04:20 PM

164 posts, read 80,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy98 View Post
You cab have much better job options in Europe, much better universities, way safer, better infrastructure, and better overall quality of life.
No you dont!!

Not all of Europe is Germany, Austria and the Netherlands!

You can thrive, study and progress easier in Mexico than in many eastern European countries.

Mexico is better off than anything east europe for example! For start ups and more Mexico is way superior, the economy is larger and more interactive than most of Europe east of Germany ,and even Italy where the economy is stagnant and shrinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 06:43 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Why is this thread in the World subforum?
Because the US is not outta this world.

Old 08-23-2021, 01:34 AM

164 posts, read 80,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Europeans, nearly always assume a white Canadian is an American, regardless of what clothing the Canadian is wearing.

I've never heard of anyone getting pissed off about it. I know the many, many times it has happened to me, I just answer the question. I get mistaken for all sorts of nationalities, before I open my mouth. German, French, and Scandinavian.

What might irritate a Canadian, is someone just dismissing they're Canadian, but that has only happened to me couple of times. Still, they didn't know I was irritated.

As for logos on shirts, I don't think it a prerequisite to have been to the place, or university, to wear it. It is just a form of fashion. How many have worn shirts emblazoned with NYC or PARIS etc and have never been?
Europe do lump English speaking Canadians and all sorts of Americans together.

The exception is French speaking Canadians who get their own category.

But it's expected because Europeans categorize through language/culture, while Americans categorize through skin colour.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:32 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Europeans, nearly always assume a white Canadian is an American, regardless of what clothing the Canadian is wearing.

I've never heard of anyone getting pissed off about it. I know the many, many times it has happened to me, I just answer the question.
It's almost a "thing" among Europeans: if you have doubts someone is American or Canadian, better to assume or insinuate they're Canadians, as Canadians will get irate if you mistake them for the other, whereas Americans don't care.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:44 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's almost a "thing" among Europeans: if you have doubts someone is American or Canadian, better to assume or insinuate they're Canadians, as Canadians will get irate if you mistake them for the other, whereas Americans don't care.
How is this assumption manifested? Will Europeans treat Canadians any differently from Americans...and if so, why? What difference in response are they expecting?

Old 08-23-2021, 09:50 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,604,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl77 View Post
No you dont!!

Not all of Europe is Germany, Austria and the Netherlands!

You can thrive, study and progress easier in Mexico than in many eastern European countries.

Mexico is better off than anything east europe for example! For start ups and more Mexico is way superior, the economy is larger and more interactive than most of Europe east of Germany ,and even Italy where the economy is stagnant and shrinking.
I don't know where you get this idea, most eastern european countries have had a higher economic growth than Mexico these last years.
Mexico even managed to be in recession in 2019. Italian economy was growing in 2019.

All of the eastern european countries in the EU, except Bulgaria have a higher GDP per capita than Mexico.
Bulgaria has a similar GDP per capita that Mexico.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
How is this assumption manifested?
It's true that in many interactions Europeans don't really drop cues that they think their interlocutors are from the US - the contact is often too short or informal.

But when people talk a bit more (the in-between between yes-no-thanks and a longer conversation) people do make small talk that might involve a "what part of the US are you from?", "American? Yes?" or even references to stuff that only exists in the US à la "oh yeah you're not very used to the 24-hour clock in the US"...

Old 08-23-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Will Europeans treat Canadians any differently from Americans...and if so, why? What difference in response are they expecting?
I don't think in most cases Canadians get treated differently or any better than Americans. In isolated cases Americans might even get even better treatment than Canadians, or at least treated as if they're more interesting. (The US is generally more intriguing than Canada to most people.)

Some Canadians do think that they get better treatment than Americans simply by virtue of their nationality, based on the assumption that everyone in the world hates Americans but loves Canadians.

It's a bit of an enduring myth. I mean, I have met on a few occasions American tourists who had Canadian flags on their backpacks.

Old 08-23-2021, 06:11 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think in most cases Canadians get treated differently or any better than Americans. In isolated cases Americans might even get even better treatment than Canadians, or at least treated as if they're more interesting. (The US is generally more intriguing than Canada to most people.)

Some Canadians do think that they get better treatment than Americans simply by virtue of their nationality, based on the assumption that everyone in the world hates Americans but loves Canadians.

It's a bit of an enduring myth. I mean, I have met on a few occasions American tourists who had Canadian flags on their backpacks.
All true. Then again, there are many Brits/Europeans who are absolutely clueless about Canada.

This is one reason I laugh when Canadians complain that Americans know nothing about Canada. Compared to Brits/Europeans, Americans are veritable scholars of Canadian Studies.

Old 08-23-2021, 06:13 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diwlari View Post
You americans are infatuated with skin colour.

Outside the US no one cares, you're all Americans

considering 44% of Americans arent even white, and many of those 56% white are mixed with other stuff.
I doubt European genetics vastly dominate the US genepool as AntonioR puts it.

To me some of you sound like you have an identity crisis, Americans do not seem to know who they are so they look for ancestors because your history is that of poor immigrants often forced to leave their homelands or rejected by their own societies having to find themselves in a new land!
Pretty clueless post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World