Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these are part of the West?
Anglo America: Canada and USA 69 89.61%
Australia and New Zealand 60 77.92%
Europe – Eastern Europe and the Balkans (excl. former USSR) 27 35.06%
Europe – Northern Europe, incl. Germany and the United Kingdom 69 89.61%
Europe – Southern Europe, incl. France, Greece, Italy, and Space 65 84.42%
Europe – Former Soviet Union, incl. Russia and Ukraine 8 10.39%
Israel 27 35.06%
Japan 11 14.29%
Latin America - Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, and Uruguay 27 35.06%
Latin America – Brazil 25 32.47%
Latin America – Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela 25 32.47%
Latin America – Mexico, Central America, and Spanish Caribbean 25 32.47%
Philippines 3 3.90%
South Africa 9 11.69%
Turkey 3 3.90%
Others not listed here (specify in comments) 5 6.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 04:36 PM

86 posts, read 45,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
For me, I would say Can/US/Aus/NZ/*** & Western Europe but no former Eastern Bloc countries except Czech and possibly Estonia. For West-light, I would include Israel, Slovenia, Slovakia, Uruguay, Argentina, and Chile and maybe, South Africa.
So you Include Slovakia and not Hungary (Which is legit central Europe,and was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire). Even Poland as a whole has a better call of being considered "Western" than Slovakia. Please dont confuse Slovakia with Slovenia...

Slovakia is not more Western than the Balkans, let alone Hungary or even Latvia..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 06:16 PM

1,719 posts, read 730,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4Food View Post
When I think int the West I think in the Anglosphere, The US, UK, Australia, Canada, NZ and Ireland..

They are the countries obsessed with "The West", naming other countries "Third World" concept such as "whiteness", "The White man", "minorities", "race traitor", "White Europeans". Concepts that even for the Western Part of Continental Europe and Scandinavia sound completely Alien.

I Consider the Anglosphere an own thing in its own right, a cultural bubble that is extremely culturally and mentally removed from the rest of the World population, regardless thinking that they are the center of the World because they Speak English as first language, yes so Advanced that most people in the Anglosphere only speak 1 language, while Europeans and even Africans /Middle easterns are able to speak multiple languages..
Yet strangely, these obsessed, cultural bubbled countries with their alien concepts are the places that so many people want to move to. I wonder why?

Old 01-11-2022, 06:52 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
I think it'd depend on the context if it's talking about culture or specific geopolitical situations. I think culturally, the most expansive view of the West would be

- all of Europe including the Caucasus except for Azerbaijan and not including the bit of Turkey in Europe
- the Americas
- countries and dependencies in Oceania that arose mostly from settler colonies of European countries and immigrants
- in Africa, Cape Verde and Sao Tome and Principe as well as Namibia and South Africa given the lingua franca and maybe Angola based on a combination of how thoroughly European languages are used as the lingua franca, the Christian religion has taken hold and the concentrated wealth and influence in distinctly European descended communities
- Asia gets maybe a nod to Singapore especially its heavy handed adoption of the English language and to Israel for society and culture that's closely modeled towards that of Europe and filled with descendants and immigrants from such

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-11-2022 at 07:23 PM..

Old 01-11-2022, 08:03 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4Food View Post
Israel only in terms of politics, it has a non-western Religion and Culture.
Judaism is a Western religion, and the majority of Israelis are European Jews. The only somewhat relevant variance is the language as Hebrew (and Arabic) is an Afroasiatic language, but that doesn't really matter since Finnish isn't an Indo-European language either. Israel is also a successful democracy and an advanced economy. By all reasonable definitions it's definitely part of the West.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:18 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Judaism is a Western religion, and the majority of Israelis are European Jews. The only somewhat relevant variance is the language as Hebrew (and Arabic) is an Afroasiatic language, but that doesn't really matter since Finnish isn't an Indo-European language either. Israel is also a successful democracy and an advanced economy. By all reasonable definitions it's definitely part of the West.
On the religion bit, so is Islam. I reckon all the sort of mainline cultures that have some parts tracing back to Mesopotamia and the Fertile Crescent in general should get a catchy name as a grouping. Maybe the Crescentis? Creshies?

I think the bit about how most of the population are either immigrants or descendants of immigrants from Europe within the last several centuries is probably a pretty solid enough argument by itself.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-11-2022 at 08:59 PM..

Old 01-12-2022, 01:28 AM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
On the religion bit, so is Islam. I reckon all the sort of mainline cultures that have some parts tracing back to Mesopotamia and the Fertile Crescent in general should get a catchy name as a grouping. Maybe the Crescentis? Creshies?

I think the bit about how most of the population are either immigrants or descendants of immigrants from Europe within the last several centuries is probably a pretty solid enough argument by itself.
Unless one is going to call all of Europe "the West," I'm not sure if that argument convinces me personally. The bulk of Israel's European ancestry seems to be from Eastern Europe from what I gather.

Then you have pieces like this (I haven't been able to fact check myself, but I'll take this guy's word for things):

Quote:
I am Mizrahi, as are the majority of Jews in Israel today. We are of Middle Eastern and North African descent. Only about 30% of Israeli Jews are Ashkenazi, or the descendants of European Jews. I am baffled as to why mainstream media and politicians around the world ignore or misrepresent these facts and the Mizrahi story. Perhaps it’s because our history shatters a stereotype about the identity of my country and my people.
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...520-story.html

When you look at the ethnicity/origin table from Wikipedia, the numbers presented in the LA Times opinion piece make sense: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...ligious_groups

Quite a sizable percentage of Israeli Jews are from Eastern Europe, Africa, Asian, and Middle Eastern/Arab countries.

Then you have to factor in the fact that 20%+ of Israel's population is Arab, with the bulk of those being Muslim.

It is with this information that I am hesitant to call Israel "the West." But that's me.

Old 01-12-2022, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
They have the same roots but Judaism has modernised like Christianity while Islam has not. The Jewish community is thoroughly integrated in modern Europe and America (a bit less so in Europe but mostly it's fine), the Islamic community is not.

The West = Judeo-Christian traditions, democratic/liberal values, and advanced economy. Israel checks all three boxes.

Old 01-12-2022, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...520-story.html

When you look at the ethnicity/origin table from Wikipedia, the numbers presented in the LA Times opinion piece make sense: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...ligious_groups

Then you have to factor in the fact that 20%+ of Israel's population is Arab, with the bulk of those being Muslim. Additionally, more than 160k Jews in Israel are of Ethiopian ancestry, which further muddles the waters in terms of race/ethnicity, IMO.

It is with this information that I am hesitant to call Israel "the West." But that's me.
Around 10% of the French/Belgian/Swedish population is also Arab/North African at this point (and growing fast) and more than 15% of Canada's population is Asian, so I would say ethnicity isn't really relevant.

Old 01-12-2022, 01:46 AM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Around 10% of the French/Belgian/Swedish population is also Arab/North African at this point (and growing fast) and more than 15% of Canada's population is Asian, so I would say ethnicity isn't really relevant.
In theory, I'd agree with you, but that assumes from my point of view that transplants adopt the dominant culture vice sticking to their birth cultures and, thus, in my view making society less "western." Still, in those countries, the "minority" populations are still, well, the minority and aren't anywhere close to being the majority from a racial perspective. Thus, I'd argue that western culture still dominates in places like France/Sweden/Canada/etc.

I am not sure that the same is or ever was true for Israel

On the religion front, many countries have what most would consider a "western" religion at the forefront of society, to include the Philippines which is almost 90% Christian, but I doubt that most would call the Philippines "the West" based on religion. Based on the sampling of this thread, we see that most here certainly don't consider the Philippines to be a "the West."

Old 01-12-2022, 06:26 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
Lol
Life of Brian?
Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World