Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:51 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseras View Post
Yes sorry, my bad ! unfortunaly your rule is a bad one : for example : les vents qu'il y a eu or les soins qu'il a fallu. As you can see in these sentences the COD is before the verb but the past participle didn't move because it is a "verbe impersonnel".

my mistake is not here, my mistake is the sentence is totally incorrect for this example. Actually, the good sentence is : les flammes se sont succédées. Verbe pronominal have to follow the subject. Another exception.
and I have to add something to be complete

ils se sont lavé les mains. here is another exception. And as for succeder is always invariable that was point I wanted to make. I have mixed several rules about that..... that's not simple.
that's it.

To know all the rules :

participe passé

Old 07-04-2008, 11:37 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,983,771 times
Quote:
and I have to add something to be complete

ils se sont lavé les mains. here is another exception. And as for succeder is always invariable that was point I wanted to make. I have mixed several rules about that..... that's not simple.
that's it.

To know all the rules :

participe passé
Don't feel bad. The vast majority of native French speakers get all those past participle rules mixed up, too, particularly those that have nothing to do with pronunciation (which is most of them).

En revanche, a lot of non-native English speakers know English grammar better than native speakers, too. Most Americans know what SOUNDS right but can't explain actual rules. Unfortunately, most schools these days don't teach much English grammar anymore and don't have students diagram sentences like they used to. sigh

Old 07-05-2008, 03:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,264 times
Hi again!

Quote:
not really, it is a good form because the second verb make the action, and it's the verb which make the action which decides if the past participle has to be conjuged or not. The action here it's not aimé but allumer.

j'ai aimé allumer quoi ? les bougies. nothing to do with j'ai aimé quoi ? allumer les bougies or just allumer is correct....
Read the rules, caseras posted:
Il s'accorde avec le complément d'objet direct qui est placé avant lui :
les fruits qu'elles ont mangés étaient beaux.
les bougies que j'ai aimées allumer.

J'ai aimé allumer quoi? Les bougies -> indirect object
Les bougies que j'ai aimées allumer -> indirect object in front of the conjugated verb

I don't really get what you say there, but of course you could also say:
Les bougies que j'ai allumées or J'ai allumé les bougies....

Quote:
Quote:
Coming back to the topic, I would recommend learning Spanish to you. It's very useful in the US and in Latinamerika and most parts of the Caribbeans. Moreover, people in Italy may understand you.
It's a myth.
I don't say everybody will understand you, but a lot do, yes. Everytime until today I have spoken to an Italian in Spanish, yes they could understand me (often they repeated the sentence in Italian )

Quote:
French is only useful in France, Belgium (where you can speak Dutch and German as well), It's untrue, the belgium people don't speak german fluently, and the wallon has just begun to learn flemish.
Try to speak French to a Flemish and he will try to kill you!
I think it's difficult to find a language which is spoken by all the Belgians, I just meant that there are a lot of people who also speak Dutch (the Flemish) and a lot of people who speak fluently German (those who live in the DGB = Deutsche Gemeinschaft Belgien(s?), German community in Belgium).

Quote:
The way you seem writing french tell me something else.
Just to inform you, I'm half French and half German!

Old 07-05-2008, 06:42 AM

983 posts, read 3,599,628 times
Default You

Quote:
There is something like this in french, but it seems less complicated.

lol actually this is pretty confusing the fact you are able to watch this kind of movie
In French you only got tu and vous. C'est tout! (Hey, that rhymed! )

It's not only in movies or TV that they mix them up. Many, if not most Latin Americans I have spoken with practically mix all of them!

Old 07-05-2008, 06:43 AM

983 posts, read 3,599,628 times
Question French in Vietnam

Quote:
And Caribbeans isles, and a large part of africa you didn't mention here, and in Asia especially Vietnam. The french is the most learnt as a second language.
Is it true that you can actually still get along quite well using French in Vietnam?

Old 07-05-2008, 10:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
I thnik qwith teh coming economy reality that some ;angauge like chienese would be every useful. Aribis also as their are many jobs here in the USA for arbic language specailist. People taht speak spenish are really a dime a dozen.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Is it true that you can actually still get along quite well using French in Vietnam?
Some parts of vietnam, not true everywhere, but you can still find a lot of people able to speak french fluently....

Old 07-08-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Käsebrot View Post
Hi again!

Read the rules, caseras posted:
Il s'accorde avec le complément d'objet direct qui est placé avant lui :
les fruits qu'elles ont mangés étaient beaux.
les bougies que j'ai aimées allumer.

J'ai aimé allumer quoi? Les bougies -> indirect object
Les bougies que j'ai aimées allumer -> indirect object in front of the conjugated verb

I don't really get what you say there, but of course you could also say:
Les bougies que j'ai allumées or J'ai allumé les bougies....
Le verbe qui fait l'action est important. Aimer allumer. that's the action so it means aimer cannot be conjuged that "les bougies" that's the rule. do you get it ?

Quote:
I don't say everybody will understand you, but a lot do, yes. Everytime until today I have spoken to an Italian in Spanish, yes they could understand me (often they repeated the sentence in Italian )
So if you are half french and german you should know that it's the same for the french, when a spaniard speak we are able to understand what he says (not true everytime but often).

Quote:
Try to speak French to a Flemish and he will try to kill you!
lol

sadly.

Quote:
Just to inform you, I'm half French and half German!
of course.... there's just another french (or half french) to care about participe passé !

Old 07-08-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Don't feel bad. The vast majority of native French speakers get all those past participle rules mixed up, too, particularly those that have nothing to do with pronunciation (which is most of them).

En revanche, a lot of non-native English speakers know English grammar better than native speakers, too. Most Americans know what SOUNDS right but can't explain actual rules. Unfortunately, most schools these days don't teach much English grammar anymore and don't have students diagram sentences like they used to. sigh
funny, because my grand ma who is german and has lived in France since her early childhood, told me the same thing about german two weeks ago.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:36 PM

469 posts, read 2,737,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

I'm not sure if they do today, in 2008, but when I was in school we absolutely did diagram sentences. I'm 23, so that would've been about 10 or 12 years ago. Not exactly ancient history. Mind you, I HATED diagraming sentences. I grasped the concepts of noun and adverb quite well, and all these weird exercises just seemed like busy work to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World