Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:09 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times

Advertisements

the list of countries outside of the US that allow a person to move in, own property and set up business or work is rather small.....

the ones that allow this are often in warm areas (equatorial even) but are probably not "safe"

i'd suggest rural america where taxes (state and property) are often very low
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 02:23 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why do you think Honduras is unsafe? The Americans I know who live there feel safe, however the towns on the Caribbean can be a bit rough.

Almost every country is safe in the daytime. Few are at night. In any country, the most dangerous thing you can do is drink at night with strangers. If you don't do that, you'll be fine.
Why do I think Honduras is unsafe? Well, could it be that they rank #1 in the world for per capita murder rate? Need I say more?

World Countries Murder Rates, Top Ten Countries With Highest Murder Rates

I wouldn't want to live in a place where it isn't safe to venture outside once the sun sets.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Thanks for eveyone's responses. I'm going to have to look into this more, and quickly. If we are at 35% now, then soon we will be up to 39.6% + an addition 2% on SS tax, then throw on the state, city, Medicare, Medicaid, etc. UGH Will it go higher? Who knows but I am going to get the heck out of dodge. I have 3 other friends who are also looking into just packing up and leaving. All of us are ready to give up our citizenship if we have to.

You can only squeeze someone so much before they leave.

Someone sent me a DM from Croatia and I accidently deleted it. I never got to look at the link she sent.

Some of the islands I have looked at look like a viable option but I have visions of the floods and hurricanes, you know?

Does anyone know how a person would go about being able to move to another country and give up citizenship in the US? I am clueless to all of this??

Also, what about medical records? Will the Dr's be able to access ours from the US or should we hand carry them?

Thanks
Don't worry about hurricanes in Croatia - the worst you have to worry about is the Bura in the winter. But you have the maestral and the Adriatic Sea in the summer so you can't go wrong.

Bora (wind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

We have friends who live on a tiny island with a population of >50, descended from family that has been living on that island for over 400 years. No loss of life to flood or hurricane.

You don't need to renounce your US citizenship to live abroad or even to become a citizen of another country. A family member of mine has three citizenships, and three passports.

I can send you links to Croatian real estate if you would like to browse - send me a DM if so. The bigger problem you would face in Croatia than weather or security is a highly educated unemployed workforce. Jobs are scarce and even the ladies who clean toilets at the hotels in the summer have multiple degrees from respectable universities.

You should take your medical records with you if you do plan to move abroad. Don't take anything for granted and don't leave for others what you can do for yourself.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:14 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
You don't need to renounce your US citizenship to live abroad or even to become a citizen of another country. A family member of mine has three citizenships, and three passports.
I was under the definite impression that the US doesn't recognise dual citizenship. Or is that only if you become a US citizen from another country?

Old 11-11-2008, 08:47 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Why do I think Honduras is unsafe? Well, could it be that they rank #1 in the world for per capita murder rate? Need I say more?

:
There isn't any country in the world where a moderately prudent person's risk of being murdered is significaint. Everywhere, your chances of being killed by a drunk or otherwise incompetent driver are many times higher than your chances of being murdered. It is very foolish to take such a tiny risk into account in a major life decision. Just stay out of bars at closing time in San Pedro Sula, and you'll be fine. Risk always rises, everywhere, after dark, even in the WalMart parking lot.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-11-2008 at 08:57 AM..

Old 11-11-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I was under the definite impression that the US doesn't recognise dual citizenship. Or is that only if you become a US citizen from another country?
The US doesn't, but the other country might. I think the US recognizes dual only for Israelis. There are many countries that will unilaterally assign citizenship to you if you have ancestry from that country, but your US citizenship will not be affected unless you voluntarily take steps to become a citizen of another country.

There were incidents in the 50's where Americans with Polish surnames arrived for a vacation in Poland, and were handed a Polish ID card and ushered to the army recruiter's office.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There isn't any country in the world where a moderately prudent person's risk of being murdered is significaint. Everywhere, your chances of being killed by a drunk or otherwise incompetent driver are many times higher than your chances of being murdered. It is very foolish to take such a tiny risk into account in a major life decision. Just stay out of bars at closing time in San Pedro Sula, and you'll be fine. Risk always rises, everywhere, after dark, even in the WalMart parking lot.
You are perfectly entitled to your opinion. I'll just stick with the facts. Thanks for the tips about closing time at bars - if I'm ever in San Pedro Sula I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:48 AM

Not all "facts" are the same:

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Honduras 49.9, Detroit 47.3. East St. Louis, Illinois, 83.5 per 100,000. Oakland CA 36.4

I know a lot of people in Detroit, my wife grew up there. I've never met anyone in Detroit who ever knew anybody who was murdered. Most people who get murdered have friends or family members are murderers. If you're in this group, you're at risk wherever you go.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-11-2008 at 11:01 AM..

Old 11-11-2008, 10:53 AM

You win - I'm packing my bags and leaving for Honduras tonight! Not.

I've tried providing info in this thread based on the OP's questions. If you want to keep touting the wonders of Honduras maybe you can start your own thread about it? Just a thought.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:

I've tried providing info in this thread based on the OP's questions. If you want to keep touting the wonders of Honduras maybe you can start your own thread about it? Just a thought.

I thought this was a place where one could comment on a comment. Like, if somebody who has never been to Honduras advises the OP not to go there, it is wrong for someone who has been there to counter that and offer alternative advice to the OP?

Glen76 suggested Honduras. If you want to disagree with him, start your own thread. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World