Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 09:55 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of suprising my fiance and taking him away for 3 nights to somewhere romantic but not too expensive as im on a budget being a student.

I was thinking of Pisa, Italy looks very romantic there. With return flights at £40 per person. I found accomodation 3 miles from Pisa 4* hotel £110 for 3 nights.
If eating out in Pisa is relatively cheap then i'd go for that.

Do you think thats good?

I also explored the option of Wroclaw, Poland but don't really know much about it. I'm guessing on the 31st March it will be pretty cold like here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 04:04 PM

102 posts, read 253,680 times
The problem at the moment is that even the relatively cheap cities are working out expensive because of the Euro rate.

My husband and I just got back from Prague last month and that worked out mega cheap as they're not yet on the Euro. We flew with Ryanair for £100 for the two of us and then we paid £130 for 3 nights in a 4 star hotel in the centre. The best of it was that we barely spent anything whilst there. To give you an example a beer is roughly 95p and half a litre of wine is about £1.50!

I'm not sure about Pisa but we found Rome very expensive for food and drink even when the Euro rate was ok, although I'm sure the South is cheaper than Rome.

Prague is very romantic and looking back we could have spent less on the hotel even, because the city is so small that any hotel is going to be walking distance to everywhere. It's quite satisfying too because in just a couple of days you really have time to explore everything so you don't feel the need to stay longer. I'm guessing it would be colder than Pisa but I think their springs are mild and the city will look beautiful.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:40 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Pisa is cheap probably because, outside of the piazza where the Leaning Tower is, there really is not much more to see, it is mostly a modern town, actually quite ugly. You may be better off in Luca, Siena or of course Florence if you can afford it. On the Adriatic coast, Ravenna might be worthwhile if you can find a direct flight. Of course, Venice is much more interesting, but will be that much more expensive. In other words, you get what you pay for.

On the other hand, the previous poster makes a good point: try a non-euro central European city right now, namely Prague or Budapest, possibly Cracow or even Kiev, lovely cities with a rich architectural history, perfect for a three-day walk around without spending a lot of money. Food is probably better in Budapest than in Prague, but, as is usually the case, restaurants in touristy areas are overpriced, seek the advice of a guidebook.

Finally, the previous poster mentioned southern Italy: Salerno (and other historical towns south of Naples) or Palermo may be worth looking into.

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2009, 02:55 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
My family are from Italy, Sorrento to be exact. Mega expensive there.

We booked Pisa for 3 nights in a 4* star hotel in the centre. Worked out not so expensive. Organised a day trip to Florence too.

Should i bring summer-ish clothing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World