Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 06:02 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

The two culture do seem very similar, the languages are both Romance, they are both Catholic, family-orientated, hot blooded (stereotypically), romantic but also portrayed in Hollywood as being wife-beaters who won't let their daughters date until they're 30 or something, lol.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:39 AM

415 posts, read 449,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
Sicilians are not mixed with Africans. Sicilians have Greek genes because they were part of the Greek Kingdom.

My wife is Sicilian (born in Caracas to Sicilian Immigrants) and she is pale skinned (paler than Jennifer Aniston who is Greek real surname "Anastasakis"), has gorgeous brown eyes, a Greek nose, a symmetric face, tall (174 cms), with long delicate arms, and gorgeous long legs.

There are blond Sicilians too. No Sicilians look like North Africans.

Even Southern Italians look light years paler skinned (and more Symmetric) than those multiracials of MTV Jersey Shores.

EU nationalities are granted by blood right.

If 2 Non-Italians have a child in the heart of Rome, that child wont be able to acquire the Italian Nationality. On the other hand, if you are born outside Italy to Italian immigrants, you can acquire the Italian Citizenship through bloodright.

That's how Europeans preserve their ethnicity.

Oops, I was going to disagree.

File:Jus soli world.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But, it seems I was wrong. The entire Americas in contrast to pretty much the rest of the world. That's strange.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:15 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
Sicilians are not mixed with Africans. Sicilians have Greek genes because they were part of the Greek Kingdom.

My wife is Sicilian (born in Caracas to Sicilian Immigrants) and she is pale skinned (paler than Jennifer Aniston who is Greek real surname "Anastasakis"), has gorgeous brown eyes, a Greek nose, a symmetric face, tall (174 cms), with long delicate arms, and gorgeous long legs.
I know you'd like to believe that Sicilians are purely white European, and I do not doubt your Sicilian-Venezuelan wife looks as you say she does. But she is not necessarily representative of ALL Sicilians.

Quote:
There are blond Sicilians too. No Sicilians look like North Africans.
I know blond Sicilians myself. But I also know Sicilians who are as dark as I am.

Check out these references:
Immunogenetics. 2004 Jan;55(10):674-81. Epub 2003 Dec 2.
Gm and Km immunoglobulin allotypes in Sicily.
Cerutti N, Dugoujon JM, Guitard E, Rabino Massa E.
Department of Animal and Human Biology, University of Turin, Via Accademia Albertina 17, 10123, Turin, Italy.
The presence of a typical African marker (haplotype Gm 5*;1,17;…), especially in the genetic structure of Alia and Palermo, highlights the possibility of past contacts with peoples from Africa. [...] Therefore, the introduction of an African polymorphism could have been due to the Phoenician colonization or to the more recent Arab conquest of the territory (9th century A.D.). A study (Semino et al. 1989) carried out with restriction enzymes on mtDNA indicated the presence of African haplotypes (4.4%) in a sample of Sicilians. The authors hypothesized an input of genes from Africa to Sicily (estimated at about 10%) brought by Phoenician migrations.
Acta Haematol. 1978;60(6):350-7.
Blood group phenotypes and the origin of sickle cell hemoglobin in Sicilians.
Sandler SG, Schiliro G, Russo A, Musumeci S, Rachmilewitz EA.
As an approach to investigating the origin of sickle cell hemoglobin (hemoglobin S) in white persons of Sicilian ancestry, two groups of native Sicilians were tested for blood group evidence of African admixture. Among 100 unrelated Sicilians, the phenotypes cDe(Rho) and Fy(a-b-), and the antigens V(hrv) and Jsa, which are considered to be African genetic markers, were detected in 12 individuals.
Among 64 individuals from 21 families with at least one known hemoglobin S carrier, African blood group markers were detected in 7 (11%).
These findings indicate that hemoglobin S is only one of multiple African genes present in contemporary Sicilian populations. The occurrence of hemoglobin S in white persons of Sicilian ancestry is considered to be a manifestation of the continuing dissemination of the original African mutation. PMID: 103355 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Old 05-23-2011, 12:50 PM

170 posts, read 769,262 times
I don't understand why Venezuelan claims that Sicilians, Argentinians and other Hispanic ethnicities are pure European blooded, whereas White Americans are mostly mixed with other "non-white" origins..This is weird because it's definetely the other way round

Old 05-23-2011, 02:12 PM

593 posts, read 1,315,856 times
You people are forgetting a very important piece of history, for both Spain and Italy especially south Italy, the centuries they were under the moors. Like people from Granada Spain, or Sicily Italy. Many are white and many are darker...
For example, look at Antonia Banderas, he comes from Malaga, Andalusia, which is the south of spain, and it was controlled for 400 years by the moors. Just do a google search for sicilian under photo and see the picture you get, most of them are darker, and of course just talk to a northern Italian they all talk bad about southern Italians.
http://www.krisvdv.net/pixelpost/ind...?showimage=484

Old 05-25-2011, 05:55 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Mexican and Spanish food are completely different, except in that they exhibit great regional diversity.

Mexican food (in most regions) is largely maize-based, whether staples like tortillas or dishes like pozole, huaraches, tlacoyos, etc. Many of these dishes date back well before Columbus was an apple in his bisbisbisabuela's eye. The Spaniards did not know of maize until they discovered Americas, and to this date it plays no major role in their cuisine. Mexican cuisine, although not uniformly hot, is much spicier than Spanish cuisine. After all, the Spaniards did not have chile peppers until Columbus! Instead of the spice mixes and piquancy of Mexico, Spanish cuisine seems (in my opinion) to be much based around the quality and freshness of the base ingredients. In this way, Spanish cuisine is closer to French, and Mexican to Indian.

And rory00, I think you're thinking of Cuban or Puerto Rican food, not real Spanish food. Cuban food namely sometimes seem to be confused with "Spanish" food; a famous restaurant in Tampa (the name which I can't recall right now) calls itself "the United States' oldest Spanish restaurant" but is in reality mainly Cuban influenced.
---------

Cuban food is basically Spanish food with different ingredients. The main dish, Moros y Cristianos, is also present in Spain. The rest of Cuban dishes have a Spanish origin but mixed with the food eaten in sailships (dried meat or tasajo, barrel crackers, ajiaco or olla podrida, etc).

Cubans eat paella, fabada, etc. Most Cuban restaurant include Spanish regional dishes.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrett32 View Post
I don't understand why Venezuelan claims that Sicilians, Argentinians and other Hispanic ethnicities are pure European blooded, whereas White Americans are mostly mixed with other "non-white" origins..This is weird because it's definetely the other way round
----

He's right because massive European immigration to Latin America is far more recent. American whites are mixed with Indians, around 20 percent, blacks, Slavics, etc.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
You people are forgetting a very important piece of history, for both Spain and Italy especially south Italy, the centuries they were under the moors. Like people from Granada Spain, or Sicily Italy. Many are white and many are darker...
For example, look at Antonia Banderas, he comes from Malaga, Andalusia, which is the south of spain, and it was controlled for 400 years by the moors. Just do a google search for sicilian under photo and see the picture you get, most of them are darker, and of course just talk to a northern Italian they all talk bad about southern Italians.
PIXistenz // Sicilian man with cigar
------------

The genetic influence of "Moors" in Spain is negligible, as attested by DNA studies. http://i39.tinypic.com/2qluxvl.png

Banderas is western Mediterranean, and they have been like that during the last 3 to 4 thousand years.

The genetic influence of barberiscs in Southern Europe was minimal, less than 20.000 in 7.000.000 inhabitants in Spain, even less in Italy. Spain went though a massive conversion to Islam and most "muslims" were Ethnic Spanish or Goths. Spain was like Bosnia, a Muslim nation inhabited by Ethnic slavs.

Visigoths did not have much influence either, 200.000 goths in a country with 8.000.000 Hispano-romans.

Spanish people have had the same appearance during the last 3.000 years, the only important contribution were the Britons that settled Galicia and Asturias during the IVth century, German and Swisss settlements in Andalusia during the XVIIIth century and massive French immigration into Catalonia, Aragon and Navarre, Irish refugees, etc.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
---------

Cuban food is basically Spanish food with different ingredients. The main dish, Moros y Cristianos, is also present in Spain. The rest of Cuban dishes have a Spanish origin but mixed with the food eaten in sailships (dried meat or tasajo, barrel crackers, ajiaco or olla podrida, etc).

Cubans eat paella, fabada, etc. Most Cuban restaurant include Spanish regional dishes.
Actually, there are Cuban dishes (fufu, amala) that have no connection whatsoever with Spain.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:08 AM

614 posts, read 3,212,604 times
I see similarities with Italy-Spain and Italy-Argentina, which makes sense since Spain is also a Catholic, Romance language-speaking country in close geographic proximity, and Argentinians often have Italian descent.

However, I see little to no similarities between Italians and the largely mestizo countries, the Hispanic Caribbean, or Mexico other than that they speak a Romance language. Puerto Rican, Dominican, and Cuban music has a lot of African influence and to be honest Mexican music sounds like polka music to me.. the food in these countries seems very different from Italian food (Mexican food, for instance, has a lot of Pre-Columbian/Native American influence), and obviously, the people don't look Italian the large majority of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World