Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:57 AM

184 posts, read 837,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
If you are ambitious, and would like to learn Spanish or Chinese, Brazil and China are the best bets of BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, China).
FYI - they speak Portuguese in Brazil, not Spanish.

Quote:
I believe what jungeon meant is "opportunity costs". '5 years' is a conservative estimate.
Sorry, I still don't follow. What do you mean by "opportunity costs"? Could you elaborate?

Old 08-07-2009, 02:53 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcNZ View Post
FYI - they speak Portuguese in Brazil, not Spanish.

Sorry, I still don't follow. What do you mean by "opportunity costs"? Could you elaborate?
I was thinking of Brazil but learning Spanish would be equally rewarding.
It is a terminology used in economics. Please google.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of Brazil but learning Spanish would be equally rewarding.
It is a terminology used in economics. Please google.
I'm familiar with the term. I didn't mean I needed an explanation of the term itself, just some examples of what you were specifically thinking of in this case.

Except in some very specific industries, I don't think that somebody living in Australia would find their friends back in California "far ahead" in 5 years. I was just hoping for more of an explanation of why somebody (i.e. jungeon) would think that. It just made me wonder how much they really knew about Australia. It's not really important anyway, I was just curious.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:08 PM

I too would love to hear out jungeon's learned view.
It's a 2-way process. The same goes for Aussies and NZlanders who move to North America, the initial set back, lack of networking in a new environment and social support, certain professions can't practice without local licensing & regulatory bodies, etc.

Unless of course one is transferred to a different country to take charge of a division or company. For others, I've seen a lot of heartaches and wasted energy.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:14 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
I too would love to hear out jungeon's learned view.
It's a 2-way process. The same goes for Aussies and NZlanders who move to North America, the initial set back, lack of networking in a new environment and social support, certain professions can't practice without local licensing & regulatory bodies, etc.

Unless of course one is transferred to a different country to take charge of a division or company. For others, I've seen a lot of heartaches and wasted energy.
That was what I took to be the initial meaning - that moving tends to set you back as you start again from scratch.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:32 PM

Marc Anthony.. clever ids.

There are always exceptions though.
A friend who dropped out of college, moved to Ireland and worked a couple of years for a bank where his aunt's is a director; and then he worked for a bank in London where his uncle is holding position equivalent to a senior VP. Now back in his hometown, he is a loan manager at a local bank. He is bright, passionate about the banking industry and continues to take courses/exams related to his job.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:08 PM

261 posts, read 668,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcNZ View Post
^ Good question.

And I was wondering why somebody living in California would be "far ahead" of somebody living in Australia after 5 years? Australia is hardly a backwater. There are plenty of opportunities to succeed, irrespective of how we measure success (wealth, knowledge, happiness...)
Dougie is basically right with opportunity cost. I'm not bad mouthing New zealnd(probably the most beautiful developed country weather wise and scenes). or Australia. If I was born in australia I would probably consider not leaving it because of its great weather. But I have to be honest, I live in a bouring town so people here move to ever corner of the world lookinf for adventure. I know people who hav lived in Australia and New Zealand and they say what they given (housing, income, opportuinties, friends and so on) was far more than what they gained when they moved. I know an 93 year old women who describes moving to australia as a big mistake but she doesn't regret it because she is too old to regret things. I also now you young people who have gone to australia but don't like the fact that there wages went down big time and that people in their age group have lots of friends, own their own house, maybe even kids and married, whereas they are still tryint to own their own place, its like starting all over and there is no one to help you.

your right, australia is not a backwater, but someone from LA who lives in LA since he was young will be farther ahead in life than someone who was in LA and moved to australia at 20. Its not that australia is backwards, it is can someone who moves to Australia ever catch up to the average australian of the same age, with busting his balls too much, I don't think so. Australians don't have as many opportunties to trvael cheapely as Americans do. I'm not saying Australia isn't worht it, if your born there, it probably is but the drop in life style for an American isn't

Old 08-07-2009, 06:10 PM

261 posts, read 668,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Khan View Post
better how? How you been to them?
America is basically the best country in the world. If you compare a 30 year old who has worked x amount of hard his whole life 99% of the times the american would be farthest ahead life.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
Dougie is basically right with opportunity cost. I'm not bad mouthing New zealnd(probably the most beautiful developed country weather wise and scenes). or Australia. If I was born in australia I would probably consider not leaving it because of its great weather. But I have to be honest, I live in a bouring town so people here move to ever corner of the world lookinf for adventure. I know people who hav lived in Australia and New Zealand and they say what they given (housing, income, opportuinties, friends and so on) was far more than what they gained when they moved. I know an 93 year old women who describes moving to australia as a big mistake but she doesn't regret it because she is too old to regret things. I also now you young people who have gone to australia but don't like the fact that there wages went down big time and that people in their age group have lots of friends, own their own house, maybe even kids and married, whereas they are still tryint to own their own place, its like starting all over and there is no one to help you.

your right, australia is not a backwater, but someone from LA who lives in LA since he was young will be farther ahead in life than someone who was in LA and moved to australia at 20. Its not that australia is backwards, it is can someone who moves to Australia ever catch up to the average australian of the same age, with busting his balls too much, I don't think so. Australians don't have as many opportunties to trvael cheapely as Americans do. I'm not saying Australia isn't worht it, if your born there, it probably is but the drop in life style for an American isn't
That's fair enough. I can see where you are coming from. I don't really agree with your assessment, but I can understand the logic.

I just think much of what you have said could apply just as well to somebody moving to a different part of the same country as moving to a new one. If somebody from LA couldn't catch up with the Aussies, then I wouldn't have thought they would be able to catch up if they moved to say San Francisco or NYC. I can understand dougie86's comments about the challenges of losing their networking and social support, but they would lose that just going to a new city too. Wherever somebody goes, they take with them all they have learnt. The knowledge and skills they have aquired are not lost. They will face obstacles but are not really starting completely from scratch again.

Maybe it's a mindset thing. I'm a NZer myself and for us (and I'm including my Aussie brethren in this) the norm is to travel and work abroad for at least a few years (sometimes many years). It's always a challenge, but rarely seen as a negative. The path for a typical NZer or Aussie I would say is to go to university, then work for a couple of years and then head out into the world for an indeterminate period of time. Then anywhere from 1 to 20 years later (or maybe never) return to NZ/Aus to settle down. When I first finished my undergraduate degree and started going to job interviews I was asked several times how long I was planning to stay with the company before leaving overseas. It's just an expectation that people have here.

I've spent several years of my life living in various countries so far and will be moving to the US around the end of this year. I suppose that my friends who have stayed put in a single place have accumulated more money than me. But for me personally, my experiences of travel and living in various countries is more valuable to me than the size of my bank account. Maybe in a few years if I have children, I might have a different perspective, but right now I certainly don't think of my friends who have more money, but limited experiences as being far ahead of me in life. I guess it all depends how each person prioritises things.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:02 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
America is basically the best country in the world. If you compare a 30 year old who has worked x amount of hard his whole life 99% of the times the american would be farthest ahead life.

It depends on your perspective and priorities. It's the best country for certain types of people; for other types, not so much. It depends on the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World