Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:37 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,869 times

Advertisements

United States, everything seems so generic and no deep history or culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 01:01 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,774 times
Saudi Arabia

Afghanistan

Old 03-02-2011, 03:43 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,869,561 times
Afghanistan ? dangerous is something different of boring, I surmise one has no time to be bored in front of danger.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:12 AM

212 posts, read 399,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Traditional cultures in most countries are a matter of dissappearing and vanishing heritage, not well maintained or updated.

IMHO, culture in USA is a live, updating one. USA people are making history by themselves.

I don't think it's boring

Old 03-02-2011, 05:02 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,869,561 times
It's true that somehow there is that "generic" feeling in the USA, but it's the same in Western Europe, Japan, Singapore, CND, Australia,and all developed countries. Someone on USCity Data calls this the "Disneylandia" countries. Henry Miller, in a prophetic novel ("the air conditioned nightmare", 1940) warned of the general sanitization and "cookiecutterization" of our Western societies, which leads actually to a terrible boredom.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:01 PM

24 posts, read 84,021 times
Interesting to see all the responses. The original poster does not say much about what makes a place boring or not for them. It all depends on one's interests and values. Some will rave about NYC, others will love Amsterdam for its unique coffee shop culture (where you can smoke stuff) and a friend of mine loved every minute of his time in Japan. Having had a quick look at what Western Australia has to offer - it will definitely attract folks who are into surfing and similar activities.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:04 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
Traditional cultures in most countries are a matter of dissappearing and vanishing heritage, not well maintained or updated.

IMHO, culture in USA is a live, updating one. USA people are making history by themselves.

I don't think it's boring
Still does not change the fact it is boring to me lol.
I have been here too long I think. My comfort and fun zone lies outside of what most peoples zones would be I guess.

If I could convince my wife, I would drop everything take her and the kid that is being born in April and just move to East Asia or East Europe.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:25 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
Quote:
We are kind of a new nation with an old government. (Our constitution is among the two or three oldest in the world, many other countries have went through revolts, etc) So we don't have quite the "deep history" of Spain or Greece or even Britain.

Still we do have the Pueblo peoples of the Southwest and the old-time music of Appalachia that preserved some of the old Scottish folk music. For distinctive culture there's the remains of the Gullah of South Carolina and Georgia, the Amish of Indiana and Pennsylvania (and Ohio, etc), the Tangier Island folk, and so forth. Back home in Arkansas we had some people who were "characters" in a uniquely Arkansas way. Savannah is said to have "characters" and there are still places that do chautaquas, which are apparently "uniquely American" as a British poster on another site said she'd never even heard that word.

http://www.ciweb.org/chautauqua_network.html (broken link)

Old 03-03-2011, 03:36 AM

212 posts, read 399,886 times
Quote:
Still does not change the fact it is boring to me lol.
I have been here too long I think. My comfort and fun zone lies outside of what most peoples zones would be I guess.

If I could convince my wife, I would drop everything take her and the kid that is being born in April and just move to East Asia or East Europe.
Congratulations! Boy or girl? Let's hope she/he won't feel bored with life on this planet

Old 03-03-2011, 07:43 AM

221 posts, read 656,276 times
faroe islands. or maybe iceland or greenland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World