Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 02:20 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,646,094 times

Advertisements

I live in the US these days, and I am very bored. Have been bored in Sweden too, but seeing that I really LIVED and grew up there, I had a lot more going on and so wasn't as bored as I am these days. Sometimes I hate online schooling ...

I don't think you can judge a country's "boredness" (I'm bored and tired right now - don't expect me to musher up the motivation to find the correct word) unless you've lived there for a LONGER period of time (that is, not by spending a 2 week holiday there).

But hey, that's just my 2 cents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 02:33 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,676 times
I can't judge about which country is boring because I have only lived in the USA, Germany and France for a longer period and I did not felt bored at all.

A problem in Germany and in Europe as a whole is that lots of things considered to be "fun" like big cars, big house with pool, sports, hunting and wildlife trekking, etc. etc. is either prohibited or too expensive.
On the other hand, people in the USA are often that car-addicted they get very isolated and no "cultural" life in public areas like cafes, outside restaurants, pedestrian zones etc. is possible. The most important is what you are doing in a country, not what the country circumstances to be boring or exciting may be.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:42 PM

130 posts, read 579,291 times
I think this is a great question but extremely complicated. A lot of times the geography, politics, economy and culture are a mixture of boring and exciting.

Example, Alaska has a impressive landscape which couldn't be called 'boring' but it would be very lonely and isolated depending on where you were.

Same for the Pacific Islands as someone previously pointed out.

I think East Asian countries would be pretty boring because people work so much they don't have much time to do much else.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:20 PM

241 posts, read 742,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
You do know people don't have to be urban and anti-automobile to have culture and variety right?

There are many car-driving or even suburban folk who have history, tradition, art, their own style, etc. Chicago, as one example, I think has some pretty historic/old suburbs as does NYC. Plus a car itself can be a form of unique expression for some people. Some of the least generic people I knew had to drive cars because they lived in the country.
There are suburbs in every country. Of course they're not inherently bad. I'm talking about mass development, cookie cutter suburbs where no real city core exists. This is much of America unfortunately. Suburbs around Chicago, New York, SF are quite interesting, but the exception. They also have real cities at the core, not just a few blocks of office skyscrapers. I also don't think America is among the most boring countries on earth as a whole, but it could have been and can still be much better.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:53 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,646,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb0 View Post
I think this is a great question but extremely complicated. A lot of times the geography, politics, economy and culture are a mixture of boring and exciting.

Example, Alaska has a impressive landscape which couldn't be called 'boring' but it would be very lonely and isolated depending on where you were.

Same for the Pacific Islands as someone previously pointed out.

I think East Asian countries would be pretty boring because people work so much they don't have much time to do much else.
Thank you for saying it! On the subject - having lived in both Sterling (on the Kenai peninsula) and downtown Anchorage (everything goes on right underneath my window, so things are happening here), it can be boring in both places.
(But, even as a professional photographer, I've almost grown bored with much of the landscape. Sorry.)

"Boring" is extremely subjective, so this thread is not about "let's find out where most people think it's boring so we can learn something from it", but more of a therapeutic thread (where we can whine about how boring it is - I could do that for about 10 pages myself right now, I'm that bored). Because I can go on about where I might believe life to be boring, but I really won't have a good, reasonable or even trustworthy idea. None that matters to the majority anyway.
Highly subjective and unscientific questions should be dealt with and acknowledged for what they are.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 AM

130 posts, read 579,291 times
I am always biased to think of the Mediterranean as being the 'centre' of the world. In many ways it is a logical center for a map given the symmetry it provides. The further one moves from this, the more 'isolated' you are. So, Alaska, Australia, Chile, ect are boring and lonely. This is obviously NOT the case but it feels like it sometimes.

This is based largely, of course, on the fact the Mediterranean had writing to record histories and talk about people, making them seem more real, than say an Aztec King, an Ancient Norse chief, or a Caddo chief. Honestly, if I would do just about anything to have written accounts of every civilization and tribe. It is amazing that time erases all memory of events without writing, almost like they never happened...

Old 03-07-2011, 12:54 PM

514 posts, read 765,306 times
Default nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Belgium, Germany, Austria, Algeria

Nonsense and how would you know anyway?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:07 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
According to many of the posts in this thread, the main thing that makes a country boring is a lack of nightclubs/street scenes supported by dense, high population urban centers.

Thus:

clubbing = excitement

all else = boredom

Frankly, I think hanging to a cliff a thousand feet above the fjord in city-deprived Norway seems quite exciting while going deaf in a club with vapid teeny-boppers and watered down drinks and weak lagers is boring.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:26 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,064 times
There can be no such thing as a boring country to live in. That's my opinion. There are only boring people, not boring countries. I would guess that even in the countries that have repressive regimes, the people in those countries find a way to live. If someone is a boring person, they will be bored, anywhere they go to.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:57 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
[quote=ABQConvict;18173576]According to many of the posts in this thread, the main thing that makes a country boring is a lack of nightclubs/street scenes supported by dense, high population urban centers.

Thus:

clubbing = excitement

all else = boredom

Frankly, I think hanging to a cliff a thousand feet above the fjord in city-deprived Norway seems quite exciting while going deaf in a club with vapid teeny-boppers and watered down drinks and weak lagers is boring.[/QUOTE]

Exactly dude. But I couldnt deal with the pee running down me leg hanging from a cliff so I would rather drink some lager!

I find it extremely humerous that people are just naming off random countries that they have never been to as well. I dont think there is nececarily any "boring" country, just a country that does not have alot of what you want maybe or maybe you just havent looked hard enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World