Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 10:59 AM

869 posts, read 973,548 times

Advertisements

"Let's went!"

I truly hope people say things like that for the shock value. Otherwise....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 04:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,317,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
"Let's went!"

I truly hope people say things like that for the shock value. Otherwise....
That's one I haven't heard in a long time. And yes, the phrase was meant for emphasis; using the past form implies that we're in such a hurry we should have left already.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,317,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I was taught that if you can complete the sentence, i.e. "he is taller than I (am tall)" it's correct. No one would say, "he is taller than me (am tall)".
When using "me" as an object in the second example, there is no sentence to "complete" -- it's already complete with no implied completion needed. Both "than I" and "than me" are acceptable depending on whether you regard "than" as a conjunction or a preposition.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:15 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,655,649 times
Converse/Conversate

I'm a tolerant man. I'm not the Spelling Police or the Grammar Police. I can overlook many things with a smile and loving understanding. But I cannot, I will not, stay silent when someone says, 'conversate.' Call me rude. Call me a snob. Call me a troll, but I hate that non-word with a passion that burns deep within my soul and has the red hot intensity of two thousand burning suns.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:15 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,751,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You might be thinking of phrases such as, "She likes ice cream better than me," which is correct if one means that she likes ice cream better than she likes me. "She likes ice cream better than I" would be correct if one means she likes ice cream better than I like ice cream.

In this case, "He's taller than I" is the correct usage (although few people say this anymore). He is not taller than me, since me can't be taller than anyone.
No, I'm thinking of what I said. It's a matter of personal preference. I thought I explained it pretty well. If not, Drover did a good job:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Both "than I" and "than me" are acceptable depending on whether you regard "than" as a conjunction or a preposition.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:39 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Converse/Conversate

I'm a tolerant man. I'm not the Spelling Police or the Grammar Police. I can overlook many things with a smile and loving understanding. But I cannot, I will not, stay silent when someone says, 'conversate.' Call me rude. Call me a snob. Call me a troll, but I hate that non-word with a passion that burns deep within my soul and has the red hot intensity of two thousand burning suns.
You are a poet!

Old 06-06-2011, 04:27 PM

859 posts, read 707,514 times
Sometimes, I mix in Pronunciation between using of dessert & desert.

I'm being afraid to say: -What kind of deserts do yo like to eat?
It might put
a Question Mark on another face
Also,between snack & snake.
I find myself want to say: which snake would you like to eat?

Last edited by Authentic Bird; 06-06-2011 at 04:38 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 06:11 PM

26,791 posts, read 26,914,688 times
Originally Posted by theatergypsy
I was taught that if you can complete the sentence, i.e. "he is taller than I (am tall)" it's correct. No one would say, "he is taller than me (am tall)".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
When using "me" as an object in the second example, there is no sentence to "complete" -- it's already complete with no implied completion needed. Both "than I" and "than me" are acceptable depending on whether you regard "than" as a conjunction or a preposition.
Theatergypsy is correct. (Otherwise, my 7th grade English teacher would be rolling over in her grave, Drover.)
Pronouns | Grammar Rules (see rule #5)

Old 06-07-2011, 06:46 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird View Post
Sometimes, I mix in Pronunciation between using of dessert & desert.

I'm being afraid to say: -What kind of deserts do yo like to eat?
It might put
a Question Mark on another face
Also,between snack & snake.
I find myself want to say: which snake would you like to eat?

Some people DO eat snakes!

Old 06-07-2011, 03:11 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,655,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You are a poet!
A novelist, actually, but might close Mightyqueen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing