Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 12:45 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,395,919 times

Advertisements

I know that task is properly used as a verb, but I hate to hear someone say that they have been "tasked" to do a job. You can be given a task, but if I hear you say you have been tasked, I have the task of blowing chunks on your shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 05:52 AM

69 posts, read 132,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
^^ Add to that -- "step up to the plate."

Unless, of course, it's dinner time, and then I'll be HAPPY to step up to the plate .....
In the same vein...so and so had such and such "on their plate". That has annoyed me for years. I always wanted to say..."How long will it take you to eat all that?"

Old 07-19-2009, 08:26 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,336,387 times
One of my great aunts used to end every third sentence or so with "and do" - I never figured out what it meant, or what she meant by it, and I've never heard anything similar, but it always made me nuts!

A current irritation 'fun' being used improperly, as in 'it was so fun' - makes me want to smack whoever says it. And the concept of "Political correctness" or being PC. I actually though it was a joke the first time I came across it, until a friend in a different city was nearly fired for saying something she intended as a compliment, but the other person took as an insult.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:41 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,090,189 times
It bugs me when folks say "Cali" instead of California.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:42 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,481,269 times
What bothers me are expressions blurted mindlessly, followed by a stupid 'huh huh huh' laugh. #1: "Tastes like chicken, huh huh huh." Who believes this funny? In what was or is this cogent or amusing to anyone anywhere? It's like some natural law. Any time a semi-unfamiliar food is mentioned, a virus emerges, infecting the dumbest male present and causing him to blurt this.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:05 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,586,883 times
The used word "friggin!" To me, is the generic use of another "F" word.

One friend I have ends her sentences with "YEP!".. "I told them I would be busy that day, YEP!" "I can't go Tuesday, YEP!" DRIVES ME NUTS!

Old 07-19-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
It bugs me when folks say "Cali" instead of California.
How about "Frisco" instead of San Francisco? Locals consider you ignorant if you call it that. You can tell they aren't from "Cal", or SoCal, which is what Californians call their state when they are being lazy, or as a term of endearment. Las Vegans don't like to hear non locals say Vegas either. We reserve that for ourselves. And in San Antonio, "San Antone" might get you smacked up side the cabaza.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
How about "Frisco" instead of San Francisco? Locals consider you ignorant if you call it that. You can tell they aren't from "Cal", or SoCal, which is what Californians call their state when they are being lazy, or as a term of endearment. Las Vegans don't like to hear non locals say Vegas either. We reserve that for ourselves. And in San Antonio, "San Antone" might get you smacked up side the cabaza.
Over the last few years I've heard Cincinnati called The 'Nati by locals, and I want to smack them.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordWarrior View Post
Over the last few years I've heard Cincinnati called The 'Nati by locals, and I want to smack them.
In WV we called it Cincy sometimes, but I don't know if that is a Cincinnati term or not. I guess if the locals use a term we should respect it, but when outsiders make up a name for your town it's not cool.

Here in Las Vegas some Johnny Come Lately news reporter started referring to Las Vegas Boulevard (aka:The Strip) as "The Boulevard". It set my nerves on end, but I haven't heard it lately, so maybe they were told not to do it anymore.

When the local phone company was bought out they started listing Las Vegas Boulevard North, and Las Vegas Boulevard South, as North LV Blvd and South LV Blvd in the phonebook. A small thing, but they had no right to change the traditional name of a street without local approval. There is a reason for it being the other way, and they insult their local customers by not bothering to find out, and doing things like that and shrugging off the objections. But, what might also be the case in Cincinnati, Las Vegas has been overrun by outsiders who don't know any better, and they forget that "When in Rome...", has meaning.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
In WV we called it Cincy sometimes, but I don't know if that is a Cincinnati term or not. I guess if the locals use a term we should respect it, but when outsiders make up a name for your town it's not cool.

Here in Las Vegas some Johnny Come Lately news reporter started referring to Las Vegas Boulevard (aka:The Strip) as "The Boulevard". It set my nerves on end, but I haven't heard it lately, so maybe they were told not to do it anymore.

When the local phone company was bought out they started listing Las Vegas Boulevard North, and Las Vegas Boulevard South, as North LV Blvd and South LV Blvd in the phonebook. A small thing, but they had no right to change the traditional name of a street without local approval. There is a reason for it being the other way, and they insult their local customers by not bothering to find out, and doing things like that and shrugging off the objections. But, what might also be the case in Cincinnati, Las Vegas has been overrun by outsiders who don't know any better, and they forget that "When in Rome...", has meaning.
I'm not positive, but I think The 'Nati thing was started by an advertising company as the first time (that I'm aware of) it reared its ugly head was on a billboard. We use Cinci here, and I don't know of anyone who minds that name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing