Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:39 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,279,641 times

Advertisements

Ok, we had some short writing challenges during the summer and saw some pretty good writing skills exhibited. I love autumn and love to read stories, poems etc. about Fall. So how about indulging me?

The challenge is to write a paragraph or two descriptive of Fall. Could be something like:
"Fall Memories"
"Fall in my Part of the Country"
"Thanksgiving Memories"
"It Starts to Feel like Fall when..."
"Fall Reflections"
"Sights and Sounds of Autumn"
"September's Song"

or however you might want to do it. Poems acceptable too, though I prefer prose.

Prize: Only my accolades and maybe a few reputation points! LOL!

Anyone in???

Last edited by kaykay; 09-08-2009 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 10:49 PM

467 posts, read 713,739 times
over the weekend maybe, I have school. :P

Old 09-10-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsMatt View Post
over the weekend maybe, I have school. :P
Well, go for it please, Matt, if you have a chance. So far you're my only taker!

Old 09-11-2009, 01:06 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,933,031 times
It starts to feel like fall when I can have sex and not need a new layer of deodorant.

It starts to feel like fall when I read the police blotter news while watching Monday Night Football and realise I've been redundant.

It starts to feel like fall when the 70 degree thermostat setting I run to stay cool in the summertime begins keeping me warm.

It starts to feel like fall when the palm trees look out of place even in their natural habitat.

It starts to feel like fall when I start to see the Christmas commercials and we haven't even gotten far enough for Labour Day yet.

It starts to feel like fall when I start picking up articles about new television series that are going to get cancelled before they've even gotten through the pilot episode.

It starts to feel like fall when I step into my favourite pizza joint and it looks like a college fraternity party instead of a beach blast.

It starts to feel like fall when the pool temperature drops below 90.

It starts to feel like fall when the outside temperature drops below 105. (In Las Vegas, in summertime, 105 is considered a cold snap.)

It starts to feel like fall when Vin Scully's voice recedes and John Madden's voice takes over. And if you've ever compared the two voices, you know it's like listening to Frank Sinatra and then being bumped to one side for Ludacris.

It starts to feel like fall when snuggling equals good sense as well as romance.

It starts to feel like fall when sex equals good sense as well as romance.

It starts to feel like fall when you see a mob of kids congregated on the corner and they're waiting for the school bus and not the police department.

It starts to feel like fall when you see the skirts on the hookers reaching to a mere inch above their knees.

It starts to feel like fall when they dump new crews of castaways on exotically dangerous islands, all expenses paid, expect you to watch their exploits and exploitations every week, and believe it's reality.

It starts to feel like fall when I see calls for fall writing challenges that remind me of being asked to write about what I didn't do on my summer vacation by people who didn't get a summer vacation because they were stuck teaching summer school.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:27 AM

48,170 posts, read 22,024,577 times
I will give it a try KayKay. It is sure feeling like fall around here.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerMCMLV View Post
It starts to feel like fall when I see calls for fall writing challenges that remind me of being asked to write about what I didn't do on my summer vacation by people who didn't get a summer vacation because they were stuck teaching summer school.
Some of these are pretty funny and I'm sure often, quite true! Glad you told us you were in Las Vegas. I was wondering.

Regarding the last one, yeah, Autumn lover that I am, I have to experience my "Fall" somewhat vicariously living here in Texas! Here in Dallas, we do have a "bit of a Fall" but we don't see spectacular Fall color like some places. Our peak color change is brief and doesn't usually arrive till mid or late November.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I will give it a try KayKay. It is sure feeling like fall around here.
Not too much "Fall feeling" around here (north Texas) but our temps are getting out of the 90's sometimes now! This is progress, I'm sorry to say!

Old 09-11-2009, 08:39 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,120,978 times
I knew that today was the first day of fall, not fall according to the calender, but fall according to the feeling of things outside. I know all about the equinox, and that the first day of autumn is Sept. 22, but today there was a change in the air ~ in the atmosphere itself, that clearly said that summer was over and fall had begun. I felt summer falling away days ago, and as each new day began...more and more signs of autumn awaken that perception in me. One morning I noticed that the leaves on the small maple tree in my front yard were orange and red; then only a few days later, it's leaves littered the deck and yard. On Saturday, I was wearing shorts, as I bbq'd with my family to celebrate Labor Day Weekend. Then it was hot, nearly 90 degrees; but today it was windy and cold and a light rain misted my hair till it curled. Overhead, a perfect formation of geese arrives home for the seasons; they honk a greeting and fly out of sight...My neighbor calls out a hello, I wave and smile as she says, "Looks like autumn has come to the Pocono's early this year."

Have a happy fall, all....I have a poem, too...

What Autumn Lends..

Walking through the country on a crisp autumn day,
under an umbrella of trees, we make our way.
Splashes of sunlight kiss my face,
creating the pattern of fine french lace.
Spectactular color rains from the sky
as leaves that are stunning begin to fly.
Auburn foliage litters the ground,
and our feet shuffle through the season's sound..
Smiling amiably or savagly are the jack-o-faces,
hanging from the wires, sneakers from their laces.
This is a season of tricks, and a season of treats,
the time of year that jack frost greets.
The breeze carries with it, an orchards sweet scent,
the bounty for which this season was meant.
The wind whispers it's secret in my ear,
a brisk confession that winter is near.
In the essence of twilight, our journey ends,
but we'll always love what autumn lends.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:19 AM

48,170 posts, read 22,024,577 times
Autumn 2009
Gorham, Maine

The Purple Clover and Queen Anne ’s Lace along the roadside have given way to wild Asters and Golden Rod.
Mornings, this past week, have been cold enough that I can’t sit out to drink my first cup of coffee. The smell of the early morning cold reminds me of my boyhood, and takes me back to the time when I would wait for a frost to split the horse chestnuts open and scatter the mahogany colored beauties among the large yellow multi fingered leaves covering the ground.

Each morning before school, I would compete with other boys in collecting chestnuts, which were admired, handled, counted and stored in a pillow case in the dim lattice-framed, cob-webbed, secret space under my front veranda. Some were traded and others were pierced and put on a string, rolled under the wheels of on-coming cars or tossed into the lake or burned in the fires that consumed dry leaves….while we waited for the explosion. Most eventually got tossed away, victims of the boredom inherent in their lack of real purpose and great abundance….perhaps to propagate and spread the range and fame of the chestnut tree.

But I digress and engage in a reverie of autumns of years gone by. Perhaps that is part of what autumn is however…the distillation of summer memories, like jugs of cider or Ball Jars of tomatoes, chow-chow or dilly beans, or wood sheds full of maple and oak, split and dry, waiting to release the warmth of summer days in the chill of November and December evenings when the family gathers around the cast iron “Home Herald” parlor stove, eating pop corn and apples, doing homework, perhaps pasting green stamps in the coupon book or counting Raleigh cigarettes coupons and bundling them in stacks held tightly in rubber bands.

I think of autumn as a transitional time of collecting and recollecting on summer; a time ripe and rich with the bounty of life. It is a time to be savored and to be "put up" for the colder and more trying days of winter.

Last edited by elston; 09-12-2009 at 06:50 AM..

Old 09-12-2009, 07:19 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,055,047 times
Thanksgiving Memories

Talk radio droned on in the kitchen before sunrise. The windows were so steamed up from cooking that drops of water would run down to the window sills. Laughing and talking, we washed dishes, cleaned up, and created our usual Thanksgiving feast. Grandma's stuffing, pumpkin pies, and always a turkey that was "too big". The whole house smelled like Thanksgiving.

One year, we set the oven on fire when we tried cooking that turkey in a paper bag. Dad lost both eyebrows carrying the flaming bird out to the back yard. After the flames were extinguished and the smoke cleared we put the turkey back in the oven. Disaster averted.

When I was very young, I was more trouble than help. But you cleaned up my mess and let me do what I could. A few years later, with typical teenage disdain, the whole thing was so far beneath me that I refused to participate. You did all the work yourself. At long enough last, I became human again and enjoyed learning everything you had to share. For years we were co-conspirators, planning and preparing Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and soon I will start shopping for a good turkey that's just a little "too big". The stuffing and the pies will be made. This is my first year to fly solo. No safety net. But I will miss you. I'll turn on talk radio in the kitchen and I'll be straining to hear your voice in the background. I'll remember to be thankful. Thankful for all the Thanksgivings we shared.

Last edited by yellowsnow; 09-12-2009 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-12-2009, 01:26 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Ok, we had some short writing challenges during the summer and saw some pretty good writing skills exhibited. I love autumn and love to read stories, poems etc. about Fall. So how about indulging me?

The challenge is to write a paragraph or two descriptive of Fall. Could be something like:
"Fall Memories"
"Fall in my Part of the Country"
"Thanksgiving Memories"
"It Starts to Feel like Fall when..."
"Fall Reflections"
"Sights and Sounds of Autumn"
"September's Song"

or however you might want to do it. Poems acceptable too, though I prefer prose.

Prize: Only my accolades and maybe a few reputation points! LOL!

Anyone in???
I'll play! Due date?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing