Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 10:00 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Maybe this is a bit of a curve ball, but when I was stationed in Germany, I enjoyed reading the Stars & Stripes, a newspaper published for U.S. military forces overseas. One of the staff reporters was a woman named "Dee Dee Arrington Doke"; I think hers is one of the most interesting names I've ever heard.
If we're doing names, there's a girl who lives around here who participated in the County Fair and 4H, so her name was in the paper a few times. Her name is Rusty Clutter. Is that the BEST farm girl's name or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 10:01 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
A few cards short of a deck...a few bricks short of a load....a few sandwiches short of a picnic, etc.

Not too bright list - Amidst a tangled web

Also:
Dumb as a bag of hammers
Dull as a box of rocks
I like "Dumb as a box of rocks...the dumb kind"

Old 11-11-2009, 10:55 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,114,969 times
My uncle used to go to school with a guy named Horace Hurlbutt.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:24 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,359,658 times
the life of Riley

lights on but no-one's at home

wellygogs

Heard this name last year in the Emergency Department I work in - 'Holly Atlantis.' It belonged to a girl aged about 14

Old 11-11-2009, 12:34 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
Ya right. Get a grip. "I'll be back", "Go ahead, make my day". "We all got it comin' kid".He's got donut holes between his ears. What a dingbat. Where I came from in Canada everyone was very polite, there was no excuse for not being so no one was fat. They were Stout. That cracks me up. What would the kids of today think if some one said."we have a STOUT problem in this country". Would they have any idea what that was? In this same Canadian Scottish culture we had a ahem few that would take a drink or two but there was never anyone who was DRUNK oh no that would be horrible so they were, tight,Ha ha. He's had a "few drops". He's been bendin' his elbow a bit. We also had quite a few terrible cheapskates around but they were not that. They were Thrifty or Canny with a penny. We had many who were just the most horrible messy people that you could ever imagine with their houses falling down around their heads even though they could buy a whole herd of cattle for cash. If you said that they were horrible in their habits that was a no no. You would be rebuffed with this phrase "he's a good farmer". Now that phrase could mean just what it says but it usually ment that this person was good for nothing else.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:40 PM

A wee dram?

Old 11-11-2009, 12:53 PM

"EEEEWWWWWWWWW!!!"

"I believe in God, but I spell it n.a.t.u.r.e." -Frank Lloyd Wright

Sorry, those two do clash a little.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:50 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
Well "howdy do" there Uncle Angus, "long time no see". "Yepper" last time I saw you, you was "Knee high to a grasshopper" It's really great to see you again,"Fer sure". Tell me, How have you been? Oh "Fair to middlin" I'd say. It's been a really good summer,the crops look really good," I ain't complainin'."
Have you been down to Toronto at all lately? You know I really hate "The big smoke", The place is just full of "City slickers" that "don't know their head from a hole in the ground" and don't know ,"what's what'. I don't know about that I kinda like it there. "Well you can take it or leave it", That's "No nevermind to me". I hear there's some rain coming in tomorrow. It'll be nothing but a "mizzle" "no doubt" I heard that your neighbour Roddy is havin' some problems. Yep, he's "three sheets to the wind" most of the time and I don't doubt he's about ready."to cash in his chips" anytime. I really feel sorry for him. Well you know "life ain't no picnick". Well I think I'll head back into town now, I gotta spend some time with Granny before I go home. Well you tell your Granny she's "barkin up the wrong tree" trying to keep "that there" town "dry". Folks want to get their "medicine" and "by George" if they have to drive all over"Hells half acre" to get it they'll "giterdone".
Well, "see ya later" Uncle. Hey there boy,"don't be a stranger",Take it easy" there now, "ya here".

Old 11-11-2009, 03:07 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,934,416 times
Phrases:
"Well ain't you sh*ttin' in high cotton!"
"He's/She's/You're/I'm happy as Larry."
"If you'se ice-cream, you'd lick yourself."
"Love yins!"
"Nanner puddin'."
"Put the fear of God in him."
"May you be in heaven 15 minutes before the devil knows you're dead."
"That's a shame."
"He didn't know whether to sh*t or fall back in it."
"Sh*t or get off the pot."
"A man's only as good as the shoes he's wearin'."
"What a miserable man, place, sight, etc."

Words:
Pussyfoot
Begrudger
Saucer-Gob
Donnybrook

Old 11-11-2009, 06:11 PM
bjh

60,098 posts, read 30,411,363 times
hove, simple past of heave

Read it in a book about ships. A ship hove into view over the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing