Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 09:23 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,354,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I just read in the newspaper, "was it her....." instead of "was it she?" I suppose they don't edit columns anymore since it's become more common to say it this way. My middle school English teacher would role over in her grave.
If your hometown newspaper is anything like mine, buyouts and layoffs have greatly contributed to the sharp rise in spelling and grammatical mistakes in the paper. I read my paper everyday and have been amazed at the number of errors. They just don't have the number of editors that they used to have and it shows. What really surprises me is that some of the reporters themselves don't seem to have the writing skills they should have for a major metropolitan paper. Broadcast online websites are even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 09:54 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
We rely on the educational system to produce proficient young folks. My h.s. teachers of any class used to mark us for spelling and grammar. Now there are English teachers who are unskilled.

Yes, we speak the language the way we hear it spoken often. News commentators and actors sometimes have horrible enunciation. There is often no where that a young person can turn to actually hear the language spoken correctly.
If pronunciation is sloppy, often spelling follows.
I wish there were some national standard for our language. A stupid thought in these times, I know.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:21 PM

7 posts, read 8,757 times
I thought I would take this one step further. Have you ever really listened to the bad grammar and to the horrible miss-use of words in television advertisments? Sometimes I have not been able to contain myself and have written to the companies, asking them to please stop....
Some of these companies are huge, national companies; you would think that someone would notice such collosul errors!
The Scooter Company "This lady was limited by her mobility!" Oh good lord, mobility means the ability to move, you can ony be limited by your lack of mobility.....

Old 08-14-2010, 10:27 PM

7 posts, read 8,757 times
I thought I would take this one step further. Have you ever really listened to the bad grammar and to the horrible miss-use of words in television advertisements? Sometimes I have not been able to contain myself and have written to the companies, asking them to please stop....
Some of these companies are huge, national companies; you would think that someone would notice such colossal errors!
The Scooter Company "This lady was limited by her mobility!" Oh good lord, mobility means the ability to move, you can only be limited by your lack of mobility.....

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 08-14-2010, 10:58 PM

773 posts, read 2,630,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes, we speak the language the way we hear it spoken often.
In some classes of society, you will be judged by your grammar (perhaps more than by your political opinions). You won't be corrected, but notice will be taken.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:15 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
In some classes of society, you will be judged by your grammar (perhaps more than by your political opinions). You won't be corrected, but notice will be taken.
I know someone who corrected the grammar and spelling in the notes the kidss got from the teacher and sent them back with kids to give back. They considered it a sad commentary that the school district really didn't care if their teachers could use proper grammar or spell, so the corrections were an attempt to suggest improvement at least.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
The death of proper grammar

Dont knock it, as it creates a whole new activity for finicky forum users
GRAMMAR POLICE

Old 08-15-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabirds View Post
I thought I would take this one step further. Have you ever really listened to the bad grammar and to the horrible miss-use of words in television advertisements? Sometimes I have not been able to contain myself and have written to the companies, asking them to please stop....
Some of these companies are huge, national companies; you would think that someone would notice such colossal errors!
The Scooter Company "This lady was limited by her mobility!" Oh good lord, mobility means the ability to move, you can only be limited by your lack of mobility.....
I hate to think this, but sometimes I believe the ad agencies do such things deliberately because it helps you to remember the product. I think, below some level, certain negative connotations do not rub off on the product because we are so used to hearing the language misused.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I know someone who corrected the grammar and spelling in the notes the kidss got from the teacher and sent them back with kids to give back. They considered it a sad commentary that the school district really didn't care if their teachers could use proper grammar or spell, so the corrections were an attempt to suggest improvement at least.
That's wonderful. A copy for the principal would be nice, as well. I hope the teacher did not take it out on the student.

When I hear language that is just sloppy it tells me that this person has little self respect. It is like going out without having bathed for a few days or having greasy hair or missing teeth, supposing the person had the money to tend to these things.

How is the student to learn and better himself if the very teachers are stupid?

No wonder we've heard so many stories about good teachers having left the profession, being ashamed to work in an environment that tolerated such misfits.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
I know there are some things money cannot buy, even in the U.S.
That's another topic - you'd think that the bare minimum requirement for a politician would be that he/she can speak well, yet we've had a president and V-P hopeful who obviously struggle with the language and sometimes have trouble forming coherent thoughts.

You know whose speech I really admired? Margaret Thatcher. I would love to just hear her pronounce words. It was akin to music compared to the way most speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing